Blonde Naso Tang - HELP!!

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a 288L tank, been running for 3 months. I bought a blonde Naso tang 3 weeks ago and he just hasn’t settled in. I understand Naso tangs are very shy but this one doesn’t swim about much, he used to swim around the front but now he just stays at the back. It’s also really difficult to get him to eat, I have to pull apart Nori into tiny tiny pieces and he’ll eat that. Maybe one bite of my sis / brine shrimp but he’s just not interested in food..

He also has prominent white spots on his body that I notice every morning, he doesn’t seem to like the dark

Now he’s just against a rock, fins up and white spots, he seems really weak!

I have a white coal tang, mustard tang and sailfin tang in the tank too, but they are extremely peaceful and mind their own business so I don’t think they’re the issue.

Tank perimeters are all correct, I had an ICP test done, so I can’t think of what is wrong with him but he’s dying!!

image.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, welcome to the reef ,
sorry to see ,please post as much info as possible to help the experts help you

a short video 25 second ,of fish breathing , would be great. best wishes...

@Jay Hemdal #fishmedic

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While we are waiting for a short video and additional information, I just wanted to add that in the US, we are seeing high mortality in newly imported blonde naso tangs - we aren't sure why, but they are coming in and just not doing well. I'm not sure if the same issue is happening in your region.....

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those specific type of white spots seem to be just stress coloration for this species.

Are the other 3 tangs stressing out the Naso? 288 liters (76 gallons) isn't enough space for the mustard, sailfin, or any Naso, and more than one tang in that size usually causes trouble eventually.

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know blonde naso's are also prone to digestive issues. Had mine in my tank for about 2 months and then it stopped eating. I pulled it out, put it in a bucket with tank water and some epsom salt for the night (with a heater and airstone) and acclimated him back into the tank the following morning. He didn't eat for another few days but is doing fine now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As Jay stated, there has been an abundance of Naso Tangs mainly from south africa and Sri Lanka coming in and while not confirmed, are suspected cyanide caught fish and they arrive looking healthy, some slightly thin and may nibble but never truly eat and go into a sort of trance and slowly thin and wither away. Its unfortunate but I suggest to stay away from them until its either confirmed that they are eating well upon purchase or until issue improves
This has been going on since Sept 2022 or even before

OP
OP
itsmanny

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone! I tried to help it as much as I could during the day, but he got worse. my white coal tang detected it was weak and wouldn’t leave it alone.

I returned him back to my reef keeper shop for them to try and help him in a quarantine tank or put him down if needed be. I wasn’t prepared to slowly watch him die while my other fish peck at it. It was a sad day!

OP
OP
itsmanny

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know blonde naso's are also prone to digestive issues. Had mine in my tank for about 2 months and then it stopped eating. I pulled it out, put it in a bucket with tank water and some epsom salt for the night (with a heater and airstone) and acclimated him back into the tank the following morning. He didn't eat for another few days but is doing fine now.
I managed to get mine to eat by pulling apart the nori into tiny tiny pieces, that’s all he would eat

OP
OP
itsmanny

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those specific type of white spots seem to be just stress coloration for this species.

Are the other 3 tangs stressing out the Naso? 288 liters (76 gallons) isn't enough space for the mustard, sailfin, or any Naso, and more than one tang in that size usually causes trouble eventually.
Yeah I was told at the shop that I would have to re house them eventually but for the first couple weeks they were all swimming together, especially the mustard and coal tang, they’re best friends! But as times gone on, they’ve definitely established the hierarchy. Definitely no more tangs for me!

OP
OP
itsmanny

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

While we are waiting for a short video and additional information, I just wanted to add that in the US, we are seeing high mortality in newly imported blonde naso tangs - we aren't sure why, but they are coming in and just not doing well. I'm not sure if the same issue is happening in your region.....

Jay
I think it may be that too, I haven’t seen many in the shops and any I have seen always seem to be stressed (have the white spots)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I managed to get mine to eat by pulling apart the nori into tiny tiny pieces, that’s all he would eat
Thats awesome. Nori has protein so if it continues, it stands a chance

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white coal tank that you mention do you have a pic ! . I’m wondering if you mean kole tang and if so I’ve never seen a white one

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I have a 288L tank, been running for 3 months. I bought a blonde Naso tang 3 weeks ago and he just hasn’t settled in. I understand Naso tangs are very shy but this one doesn’t swim about much, he used to swim around the front but now he just stays at the back. It’s also really difficult to get him to eat, I have to pull apart Nori into tiny tiny pieces and he’ll eat that. Maybe one bite of my sis / brine shrimp but he’s just not interested in food..

He also has prominent white spots on his body that I notice every morning, he doesn’t seem to like the dark

Now he’s just against a rock, fins up and white spots, he seems really weak!

I have a white coal tang, mustard tang and sailfin tang in the tank too, but they are extremely peaceful and mind their own business so I don’t think they’re the issue.

Tank perimeters are all correct, I had an ICP test done, so I can’t think of what is wrong with him but he’s dying!!

image.jpg
Do you have a pic of the White kole tang you mentioned ?

OP
OP
itsmanny

itsmanny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic of the White kole tang you mentioned ?
Sure, the kole tang died this week though :( I think it caught flukes from a coral rock and became weak, didn’t survive the freshwater dip :(

Attachments

• IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 53

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back