Blotchy Anthias viral nodules? Losing?

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve had this blotchy Anthias in my QT for just over 1.5 months. During that time it had some internal bacterial problems that we resolved, then it’s swim bladder got worse and so I lanced It. It was doing great for a couple of days, but these nodules have continued to get worse and now my fish just breathes heavy is lethargic and not eating. I did a skin scrape yesterday and saw nothing moving under the scope.

I’m currently dosing peroxide to my dt as a preventative measure due to having a fish I added that later died of uronema.

Some of the advice I’ve gotten is maybe it’s time to add it to the display tank but that makes me nervous.

Anthias mucus nodules

IMG_6338.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had this blotchy Anthias in my QT for just over 1.5 months. During that time it had some internal bacterial problems that we resolved, then it’s swim bladder got worse and so I lanced It. It was doing great for a couple of days, but these nodules have continued to get worse and now my fish just breathes heavy is lethargic and not eating. I did a skin scrape yesterday and saw nothing moving under the scope.

I’m currently dosing peroxide to my dt as a preventative measure due to having a fish I added that later died of uronema.

Some of the advice I’ve gotten is maybe it’s time to add it to the display tank but that makes me nervous.

Anthias mucus nodules

IMG_6338.jpeg

These bumps appear to be a bacterial infection id which Peroxide is an oxidizer and a waste of time. Fish will need to be treated with seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank along with added aeration with use of air stone and a focus on water quality during treatment. Could use a longer video with fish showing other than just the face to fully confirm what it has

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These bumps appear to be a bacterial infection id which Peroxide is an oxidizer and a waste of time. Fish will need to be treated with seachem Neoplex in a separate treatment tank along with added aeration with use of air stone and a focus on water quality during treatment. Could use a longer video with fish showing other than just the face to fully confirm what it has
I did 2 rounds of kanaplex and metro and it didn’t seem to make any difference, which is why I’m thinking it’s viral.

I agree on the peroxide dosing, that is going on in my DT, this guys is in my QT. I can take a longer video, but it just sits here and won’t move.

Here is a side video.
Anthias side view

#fishmedics

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I did 2 rounds of kanaplex and metro and it didn’t seem to make any difference, which is why I’m thinking it’s viral.

I agree on the peroxide dosing, that is going on in my DT, this guys is in my QT. I can take a longer video, but it just sits here and won’t move.

Here is a side video.
Anthias side view

#fishmed#fishmedics

A better video but hard to tell as I see light spots on the fin.
Flukes may be another issue but cant see clearly enough.

@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A better video but hard to tell as I see light spots on the fin.
Flukes may be another issue but cant see clearly enough.

@Jay Hemdal
My initial thought was flukes, but nothing happened after a dose of prazi. My best guess is it’s a mucus issue (viral or bacterial nodules) and the excess mucus is impacting the gills too.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My initial thought was flukes, but nothing happened after a dose of prazi. My best guess is it’s a mucus issue (viral or bacterial nodules) and the excess mucus is impacting the gills too.
Prazi takes two to three days to start working and first application should be in tank for 8 days followed by water change and another application. You want to dose at 85% as many fish will get a reaction to the medication and addition of air stone

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prazi takes two to three days to start working and first application should be in tank for 8 days followed by water change and another application. You want to dose at 85% as many fish will get a reaction to the medication and addition of air stone
correct. I did general cure the first and second week I had it—once I saw these start (about 3ish weeks ago) I dosed prazi again and watched to see what happened but they were unaffected. I did a skin scrape after that (pics below). No movers, etc. I did another skin scrape yesterday and it looked the same as this.

IMG_6120.jpeg IMG_6121.jpeg IMG_6122.jpeg IMG_6123.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
correct. I did general cure the first and second week I had it—once I saw these start (about 3ish weeks ago) I dosed prazi again and watched to see what happened but they were unaffected. I did a skin scrape after that (pics below). No movers, etc. I did another skin scrape yesterday and it looked the same as this.

IMG_6120.jpeg IMG_6121.jpeg IMG_6122.jpeg IMG_6123.jpeg
This is very good work. The suspicion I have will be the amount of meds administered in a short span of time causing reaction. Jay will chime in shortly and provide his analysis also.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very good work. The suspicion I have will be the amount of meds administered in a short span of time causing reaction. Jay will chime in shortly and provide his analysis also.
Appreciate you helping!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you describe how you 'lanced' the swim bladder - and also how long you treated with antibiotics - and at what dose? Given the breathing issue - it suggests either a gill parasite/issue (which would not be seen with a skin scraping) - or something related to the medication and/or swim bladder 'lancing'. How did you document an internal bacterial infection? IMHO - a side view with the 'nodules/blotching' might be easier to help see what's going on?

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you describe how you 'lanced' the swim bladder - and also how long you treated with antibiotics - and at what dose? Given the breathing issue - it suggests either a gill parasite/issue (which would not be seen with a skin scraping) - or something related to the medication and/or swim bladder 'lancing'. How did you document an internal bacterial infection? IMHO - a side view with the 'nodules/blotching' might be easier to help see what's going on?
yes, so I used a 25 gauge needle and inserted it into the swim bladder, gently pushing on the fish to ensure that the air equalized. Not my pic, but the white arrow is approximately where I did it. I then put it through 2 rounds of metro and kana(2 scoops of each for 10 gallons, done twice). Literally the next day it was happy, swimming and eating with no more swim bladder issues.

The internal infection had what looked like bruising spots that spread. Thought it might been uro but it cleared up after 12 days of antibiotics (kana +metro). This was done weeks 2-4 of me having him.

IMG_6346.jpeg

What kind of pic are you wanting? I have a side and front video uploaded?

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes, so I used a 25 gauge needle and inserted it into the swim bladder, gently pushing on the fish to ensure that the air equalized. Not my pic, but the white arrow is approximately where I did it. I then put it through 2 rounds of metro and kana(2 scoops of each for 10 gallons, done twice). Literally the next day it was happy, swimming and eating with no more swim bladder issues.

The internal infection had what looked like bruising spots that spread. Thought it might been uro but it cleared up after 12 days of antibiotics (kana +metro). This was done weeks 2-4 of me having him.

IMG_6346.jpeg

just a plain picture. And - good on the swim bladder. One wonders whether what's happening now could relate to whatever was going on before.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just a plain picture. And - good on the swim bladder. One wonders whether what's happening now could relate to whatever was going on before.
It’s in a really difficult place to get a picture of, but here is what I was able to get. Not a great pic.

IMG_6353.jpeg IMG_6347.jpeg IMG_6351.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Also here are a few quick recaps, not sure why I didn’t think to post this yet…:

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_6346.jpeg

That location is bit lower and further back than where I would have tried to degas the swim bladder. I wonder if you pierced into the peritoneum?

I dislike this species overall. I’ve always had problems with them, and we see a lot of issues here as well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viral issues, except for lymphocystis, are extremely difficult to diagnose, and of course, can’t be treated. The flip side of that is since they can’t be diagnosed, it is really easy to blame viral disease on any unrecognized problems…..I do think they are underreported though. It took years of massive die-offs before they found that a virus was the culprit in dwarf gourami die offs.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That location is bit lower and further back than where I would have tried to degas the swim bladder. I wonder if you pierced into the peritoneum?

I dislike this species overall. I’ve always had problems with them, and we see a lot of issues here as well
just to clarify, if I pierced the peritoneum, how would that have degassed the fish?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just to clarify, if I pierced the peritoneum, how would that have degassed the fish?
Thats impossible (to say the exact mechanism) - But fish can collect gas in their GI tract as well - which would be relieved with a needle.

OP
OP
Reefer Dan

Reefer Dan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats impossible (to say the exact mechanism) - But fish can collect gas in their GI tract as well - which would be relieved with a needle.
Ok, but I’m confused because wouldn’t this have killed the fish relatively fast? Today is day 12 after I did it.
It’s entirely possible I did it wrong, it made me super nervous but I did look up lots of videos, diagrams, etc. before doing it. @Jay Hemdal

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Off-topic posts removed.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 37 41.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back