Blue Jaw, Ich and more . . . pics to help

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the very kind words @Jena Cooper @Sistawolf :)
Only preaching the truth @Humblefish .. just want you to know how much you truly mean to me and us here.. it's very scary when you notice a sick fish and when a newbie post concerns.. we are usually in a frantic.. yet you always calmly tell us how to save these fish and it means the world to us.. much appreciated for all your hard work!!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods; the larger ones are amphipods, smaller ones are copepods. Their populations often explode in a fallow tank without any predators to eat them.

⬆️
Is that a good thing?

You can place the carbon bag on top of the sponge, but most of the water will just go around it.

⬆️
I put a bio max bag under the sponge. Going to do a water change as soon as water is up to the right temp in QT. Then I will pour the stability (it came today!) into the filter. The directions have me using a capful every day for 7 days. You and @melypr1985 are saying because I already have fish in ther to go ahead and use 1/2 bottle today?[/QUOTE]
⬇️

And hopefully final question:
How often should I water change the fallow tank? Still 20% 1x a week?
(After reading the cycling article I believe it started a new cycle! I had the diatom algae bloom, and now the red slimy stuff!). I am anxious to make the water ideal for corals while I am fallow, so whatever else I need to test for that would be great to know! I have a mushroom and a pollup in there now doing well.

We will turn this around!!!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only preaching the truth @Humblefish .. just want you to know how much you truly mean to me and us here.. it's very scary when you notice a sick fish and when a newbie post concerns.. we are usually in a frantic.. yet you always calmly tell us how to save these fish and it means the world to us.. much appreciated for all your hard work!!

Awww :D

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a good thing?
Yes

I put a bio max bag under the sponge. Going to do a water change as soon as water is up to the right temp in QT. Then I will pour the stability (it came today!) into the filter. The directions have me using a capful every day for 7 days. You and @melypr1985 are saying because I already have fish in ther to go ahead and use 1/2 bottle today?

A cap full every 24 hrs for 3-4 days would be best, unless you are wanting to start dosing copper before then.

How often should I water change the fallow tank? Still 20% 1x a week?
(After reading the cycling article I believe it started a new cycle! I had the diatom algae bloom, and now the red slimy stuff!). I am anxious to make the water ideal for corals while I am fallow, so whatever else I need to test for that would be great to know! I have a mushroom and a pollup in there now doing well.

If I'm remembering correctly, you started your tank using tap water. For that reason alone I would be doing a 20% WC weekly with RODI in order to get the "bad water" out.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
Sweet!

A cap full every 24 hrs for 3-4 days would be best, unless you are wanting to start dosing copper before then.
Do I need to turn the filter off for the 2-3 hours each time I do it like you said?

If I'm remembering correctly, you started your tank using tap water. For that reason alone I would be doing a 20% WC weekly with RODI in order to get the "bad water" out.
Yes. I did. Original set up was July 17. Well cured live rock and live sand. The first and second water changes were also done with tap water. One mid august, and then the one that spun everything out of control on labor day weekend. Sept. 4. (And I was told to do 25-30% water changes once a month, with weekly water top offs for evaporation and that is it.) I will do weekly 20% no problem. Do you have a salt you recommend for reefs? Today I got Instant Ocean because I only have a petco close to me, and needed it immediately. But I can order off of amazon for future reference :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I did. Original set up was July 17. Well cured live rock and live sand. The first and second water changes were also done with tap water. One mid august, and then the one that spun everything out of control on labor day weekend. Sept. 4. (And I was told to do 25-30% water changes once a month, with weekly water top offs for evaporation and that is it.) I will do weekly 20% no problem. Do you have a salt you recommend for reefs? Today I got Instant Ocean because I only have a petco close to me, and needed it immediately. But I can order off of amazon for future reference :)

Instant Ocean is fine. However, for corals I would add calcium chloride to it: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-calcium-chloride-aquarium-supplement.html

BRS has a nice calculator for their products here: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-calculator/

With most batches of Instant Ocean I've tested, the calcium is only around 400 ppm. 440-460 ppm is what most reefers shoot for. So, you'd want to add enough calcium chloride to your water change vat to bring the calcium level up to, say, 500 ppm... to cut down on dosing. Or you can match it to the exact calcium level of your DT if you prefer. But with calcium, you can safely raise the level 50 ppm at once without harming your corals.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a post for anyone who was on here at the beginning of my hell . . . 8 weeks have passed, with 4 fish saved in QT and tank has run fallow with several corals acquired. I will post a build/rebuild thread soon, but wanted to update that I finally was able to add 2 clowns to the main tank today! The other 4 will come out of QT this weekend!! :) The new clowns are VERY active!! So cool to finally have fish back! Thank you @Humblefish and @melypr1985 especially for your help along the way - I am sure I will have MANY more questions through this process.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 22.1%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 102 59.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back