Blue Jaw, Ich and more . . . pics to help

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Is there any kind of test that will give me more accurate numbers at home? I have the strip tests. I also have the ammonia test that I have been using on a daily basis. But that seems to be completely stable. And all of the other numbers look fine.

2. Also, can I go ahead and try to grow some corals while I am running fallow? I only have one so far, and with the fish being on quarantine, it would give me something fun to do in the main tank, but I don't know if that is OK or not I have one mushroom doing really really well.

3. "Treat the tank like normal". So I feed pellets every couple of days and frozen shrimp once a day. I keep feeding the shrimp even twice a week and a couple pellets a day?

4. Melypr1985 said 76 days. That seems forever. I have also heard 5 weeks. Should I still treat the tank with the reef safe "Ich attack" or quit that and they will go away without fish to host on?

Sorry for all of the questions. Just trying to make things right.

The best thing you can do during your fallow period (and I absolutely suggest going the full 76 days) is to get your tank right. You have the ability to get everything set and cycled properly. Don't add anything to the tank until it has gone through a true cycle. I would also be sure that all water changes during this time are done with RODI water.

When I said to treat it like normal, I also said to lessen the food in the tank. there's no need to feed so much food when you don't have fish to eat it. You'll want to put just a little food in the tank every 3 days or so. I'm betting you asked because it seemed silly to keep putting all that food in there. lol ;)

76 days will cover ick and velvet and let you rest easy knowing you have a fresh start for your fish when they go back in the tank. There's no need to add ick attack to the tank. The fallow period will starve out all the parasites and is very effective.

There's no reason to appoligize for your questions! We love questions and are always happy to help. Keep asking away and we will help with everything we can.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownreef thank you for your insight. Through my mistakes, I clearly have learned of my lack of knowledge and how many fish I have killed. I have done nothing for a week but try to save them, and read everything I could get my hands on and speak to everyone I know that knows anything about aquariums, and cry. I have had my heart set on this since I was a child, and saved for over a year to put this together. I asked many times to make sure I wasn't going to fast, I am an inpatient person, but was willing to be as patient as I needed to to make this go right, but was assured, falsely, that everything I was doing was fine. But that is why I am here now. To learn, and to not make the same mistake again.

@Humblefish thank you so much. I will get to reading tonight in between attempting to catch the last 2 beauties to QT. And what is your opinion on corals. I have one that is doing beautifully well.

Can someone clarify the feeding. I have about 25 blue/red legged hermit crabs, 15ish margarita snails, one Halloween crab and 4 Mexican turbos. Is that enough clean up crew? Do I need a shrimp? And do I need to feed the coral something special?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing you can do during your fallow period (and I absolutely suggest going the full 76 days) is to get your tank right. You have the ability to get everything set and cycled properly. Don't add anything to the tank until it has gone through a true cycle. I would also be sure that all water changes during this time are done with RODI water.

When I said to treat it like normal, I also said to lessen the food in the tank. there's no need to feed so much food when you don't have fish to eat it. You'll want to put just a little food in the tank every 3 days or so. I'm betting you asked because it seemed silly to keep putting all that food in there. lol ;)

76 days will cover ick and velvet and let you rest easy knowing you have a fresh start for your fish when they go back in the tank. There's no need to add ick attack to the tank. The fallow period will starve out all the parasites and is very effective.

There's no reason to appoligize for your questions! We love questions and are always happy to help. Keep asking away and we will help with everything we can.

Thank you so very much!! That answers a lot! ( and sorry - I was typing my last message with the food question again while you were typing yours. )
80 days it is!!time for a fresh new start. Will the other fish be ok in QT for that long?

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0096.JPG
What kind of coral is it?

A mushroom.

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First don't get discouraged. I can see how this happened and it could have happened to anyone. When I first started I had a local fish store tell me a lot of the same things. Fortunately it wasn't a friend and they had a display tank that was covered in algae so I didn't trust them and did my own research. Keeping a reef tank is not hard but it does require certain knowledge and this site has been by far my greatest resource.

You've already gotten some good advice in this thread. #humblefish has helped me tremendously with treating ich and uronema.

QT all fish. Treat Qt with copper. Make sure you use the proper copper test kit for the type of copper you are using. Don't add any fish to Qt once your Qt has been started, if you do then you need to restart the calendar on your Qt.

Don't buy any acropora and really no Sps corals until you have more experience. Mushrooms are pretty hardy so you might be ok.

#thematrix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those shrooms i consider invasive. By half way of your fallow period with good lighting they will cover that whole rock. Its a nice beginner hardy coral but invasive it is. When i look at that rock i see real estate for more coral,that will be taken up by shrooms.

Find a reef store or one that spcializes in marine life. not a big name store....
These guys know about treatments and all theyve said is gold. Youre on the right path now.

And welcome

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the other fish be ok in QT for that long?

Yes ma'am! I'm sure they won't be as comfortable as they would be in the display but they will be better off in the long run.Take it slow and think everything through and you'll do great!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mushroom.

Those are almost indestructible. :p Which is a good thing right now as you get your feet wet and figure out what you're doing. Seeing those mushrooms do well and propagate themselves will give you something to smile about as you face these other challenges. You can always get rid of them down the road if you so choose. Just keep them confined and don't let them spread to every rock. ;)

Clownreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clownreef thank you for your insight. Through my mistakes, I clearly have learned of my lack of knowledge and how many fish I have killed. I have done nothing for a week but try to save them, and read everything I could get my hands on and speak to everyone I know that knows anything about aquariums, and cry. I have had my heart set on this since I was a child, and saved for over a year to put this together. I asked many times to make sure I wasn't going to fast, I am an inpatient person, but was willing to be as patient as I needed to to make this go right, but was assured, falsely, that everything I was doing was fine. But that is why I am here now. To learn, and to not make the same mistake again.

@Humblefish thank you so much. I will get to reading tonight in between attempting to catch the last 2 beauties to QT. And what is your opinion on corals. I have one that is doing beautifully well.

Can someone clarify the feeding. I have about 25 blue/red legged hermit crabs, 15ish margarita snails, one Halloween crab and 4 Mexican turbos. Is that enough clean up crew? Do I need a shrimp? And do I need to feed the coral something special?

@Jena Cooper These are actual living beings. One thing, for me personally, would be a small child killing a few guppies for lack of help, the other is having all the knowledge of marine life in the history of the world available online 24/7 and killing fish regardless. The system was rushed to set up and stock with fish. It was rushed beyond belief. This doesn't work like that. This requires time, patience, and a HEAVY understanding of the chemistry and not what some zit faced teenager tells you is right. There are thousands of articles about how to properly cycle a tank. There is zero excuse and I don't mind catching the fire for it.

My advice to you is stop everything, cycle the tank appropriately, understand how the cycle works, understand that any time you add a fish the whole system changes. Do not add any coral, read of lighting and circulation and become an expert (yes, an expert) in keeping a healthy system.

Imagine if you switch the word fish to dogs. It is the same.

As many advised leave the tank alone for a while. Also understand how a QT should be maintained. Purchase a good ammonia indicator badge for it, keep it barebones and sterile, BE CAREFUL USING COPPER, keep an eye on ammonia and do your maintenance diligently.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no experts among us @Jena Cooper. We ALL run into problems, and we learn from them (in most cases)
The best thing to do is what others have advised. Research and ask plenty of questions. We are all here to help you!

So please stick around!

Last edited:

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so sad for you:( and sorry about your losses.
Everybody makes mistakes....don't get discouraged by CLOWNS like @Clownreef
On the internet you will always have 16 year olds in there mothers basement thinking they are kings.
But you will also find great people that want to help you out. You are getting some great advice from some real experts. Stick with Mely and Humblefish and you will have a thriving reef in no time. Well maybe not in "no time" because from now on you are going to take your time;)

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jena Cooper You asked if you need to feed the tank directly... The answer is two fold:
No - Your mushrooms will be fine
YES - your Clean up Crew (CUC) will need meat. You can drop in some meat to keep your CUC alive and your cycle going. Your cycle needs food / ammonia to keep going

Sorry I thought your answer was confused on only answering if your CORAL needed food.

Good Luck!
Neptune

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @Jena Cooper understands she has made certain mistakes and is beating herself up enough over it. No need to keep reminding her of this. Let's work together to help her get back on the right path so she can enjoy her aquarium again. :)
ea867533623f3306f16958ba7736e3dd.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @Jena Cooper understands she has made certain mistakes and is beating herself up enough over it. No need to keep reminding her of this. Let's work together to help her get back on the right path so she can enjoy her aquarium again. :)

Well put

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just a few words of support from a fellow newbie...
I too started my tank with terrible advice from someone ( who was a "local professional " )in the aquarium industry.
You are in the right place now! Some encouragement:
  • It seems overwhelming @ 1st, but the links @Humblefish mentioned help deliver important info to a newbie in understandable terms.
  • You will see your understanding grow & grow by utilizing R2R !
  • At R2R you get knowledge + support = you can enjoy a great hobby
Some tips that I've learned (as a newbie):
  • Not all reef tank forums emphasize responsible education in a positive (non flaming) environment. But R2R does. :) Also sticking to one reef forum is less overwhelming when you are new!
  • If you have a dilemma, concentrate on expert advice by members of the R2R "Reef Squad" (like @Humblefish & @melypr1985 here ).
  • Reef Squad = expert advisors carefully chosen for their experience &knowledge.
Finally , if videos help you , then watch 'Mr. Saltwater Tank ' youtube videos by Mark Callahan. Mark has a great pdf series . I bought the series & that helped me understand the important fundamentals of my reef tank. I found R2R from his recommendation.

Enjoy your tank!! Take it slow and enjoy all the support from the friendly helpful R2R members!

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have caught the 2 fire fish. They are in QT and doing great! The sailfin and the Foxface are doing well, only a spot or 2 here and there of ich, but they seem to be very healthy, and not showing signs of velvet at all.
Here is the problem: day 4: and I still can't catch them! We have cornered them, left the net in the tank for days then fed them right by the net. Tried the make your own fish trap. None of it works. They are SMART! Any other ideas before I have to deconstruct my entire reef??? I can't start my fallow period until they are out!

Thank you all!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back