BREAKING NEWS: USFWS Notifies Aquarium Businesses that Importing Listed Corals is Illegal

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was listed as threatened. Something I've noticed from reading through these posts is that no one seems to have an understanding of the entire situation.

Just because E. paradavisa is the only species of Euphyllia listed doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact on the other species of Euphyllia. The US Fish and Wildlife Services is tasked with enforcing any ruling made by thr National Marine Fisheries Service. USFWS does not know how to properly identify all species listed under the ESA. When they are unable to properly ID something and it looks like it, it is it. So go take a look a Euphyllia paranchora and tell me if someone who has no understanding of coral could definitively tell the difference between the two. This is where the slop gets slippery. The majority of the corals on the list are SPS. A large portion of hobbyists can't tell the difference yet alone a USFWS officer.

I really can't wait until the round table discussion from MACNA is posted on BRS TV's YouTube channel so everyone can hear a panel of experts on the subject talking about it. Perhaps at that point the severity of the issue will sink in. I'd encourage all of you there visit Ret Talbot blog page titled The Good Catch a Fisheries Centric Blog. There's so much information there.

Good Catch Blog | A Blog about Sustaining Species, Habitats and Coastal Communities through Fisheries and Science

The MACNA talk on the Coral Bannings should have been the very First one listed on Bulk Reef Supply due to it's extreme importance.

I do not know why they have not listed it yet?

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MACNA talk on the Coral Bannings should have been the very First one listed on Bulk Reef Supply due to it's extreme importance.

I do not know why they have not listed it yet?

I've been saying the exact same thing. Should have been made available as soon as possible.

AquariumNut-Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I want to know why there's even a slim chance for it to become illegal for us to have certain corals when we actually are preserving species that may very we'll go extinct due to stuff that has nothing to do with aquariums ? Like climate change , pollution like the barge loads of garbage that gets dumped out In the ocean every day , oil spills , and other messes ... I think they should be commending us for saving and growing endangered species .

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I want to know why there's even a slim chance for it to become illegal for us to have certain corals when we actually are preserving species that may very we'll go extinct due to stuff that has nothing to do with aquariums ? Like climate change , pollution like the barge loads of garbage that gets dumped out In the ocean every day , oil spills , and other messes ... I think they should be commending us for saving and growing endangered species .

+1

Well Said.

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read and spoken to people that are in the know, my understanding is, if you have it already in your tank you are OK but if you don't have it you won't be able to get it.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have read and spoken to people that are in the know, my understanding is, if you have it already in your tank you are OK but if you don't have it you won't be able to get it.

That is until they change the laws in the future.

Today it is legal.

Next Year it is illegal to take from the wild.

The Year after that it is permanently banned.

They do this in baby steps.

Every little law that passes for these people makes it that much easier than the previous law.

They know this and laugh at you when you think you are safe.

Then everyone will be dumbfounded saying how did this happen I was told I was safe to propegate these corals and sell them at the frag swaps.

Is this guaranteed to happen no.

But we must fight this tooth and nail so it does not happen.

Look at the big picture not just what is going on today and tomorrow.

Last edited:

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why we need to come together and act now. But I do not see how they can ban it from your tank if you have it. What are you going to do, kill it. That is worse than saying it cannot be imported any more.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you interested in learning more info on the Listed Corals (and what much of it means to us at this point) check out the newest Reef Threads Podcast (#199), where Ret Talbot joins Gary and Christine. Ret is a leading reporter on many issues such as this for the hobby. He runs The Good Catch blog initially posted in this thread.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why we need to come together and act now. But I do not see how they can ban it from your tank if you have it. What are you going to do, kill it. That is worse than saying it cannot be imported any more.

That is a possiblility as stupid as it sounds.

I have heard of animals being confiscated (Taken to Police Station, Dropped off at Humane Society, etc.) only to be killed since those there either do not know how to take care of the animals or do not have the resources to take care of them.

Then they die.

Yes, it is insane and makes no sense but it does happen.

Hide that "Blue Glow" in the basement where nobody outside can see it.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again who says the coral is illegal?
the only thing the govt did is make it illegal to collect certain coral from certain places . no one ever said the coral was illegal to keep! it is illegal to import these listed coral from these restricted places

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back