BREAKING NEWS: USFWS Notifies Aquarium Businesses that Importing Listed Corals is Illegal

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these major aquariums? Like Shedd and Atlanta? Even the huge one in Spain. Are they pro hobbyist? Even the Natural History Museum in D.C has a pretty big mixed reef display. Can we get them on OUR band wagon? They swing a pretty large bat, you would think? They could definitely help educate those that make the laws or at least here them out.........just a thought. In fact looking at the D.C mixed reef aquarium there were many ORA and hobbyist grown corals from there. I remember seeing some setosa, Hawkins echinata, ORA Red Planet. So who ever is running that show relied on our hobby to bring the colors of the corals to the visitors. Im just brain storming here but I think something can be done to win them on our side.

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about these major aquariums? Like Shedd and Atlanta? Even the huge one in Spain. Are they pro hobbyist? Even the Natural History Museum in D.C has a pretty big mixed reef display. Can we get them on OUR band wagon? They swing a pretty large bat, you would think? They could definitely help educate those that make the laws or at least here them out.........just a thought. In fact looking at the D.C mixed reef aquarium there were many ORA and hobbyist grown corals from there. I remember seeing some setosa, Hawkins echinata, ORA Red Planet. So who ever is running that show relied on our hobby to bring the colors of the corals to the visitors. Im just brain storming here but I think something can be done to win them on our side.

What is "our" side?!

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BREAKING NEWS: USFWS Notifies Aquarium Businesses that Importing Listed Coral...

The hobbyist. The educated ones here. The ones that do not want our hobby threatened. The ones that believe banning species is not the " one pill cures all" remedy.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In regards to their thoughts on Hobbyists I would probably assume that they hate us (But I could be wrong).

I know that Zoos are very very anti-the general public keeping wild animals (From my Reptile Research) so I would assume that aquariums would be the same.

But I could be wrong.

Hopefully someone here has worked at an Aquarium and can Chime in and let us know.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to their thoughts on Hobbyists I would probably assume that they hate us (But I could be wrong).

I know that Zoos are very very anti-the general public keeping wild animals (From my Reptile Research) so I would assume that aquariums would be the same.

But I could be wrong.

Hopefully someone here has worked at an Aquarium and can Chime in and let us know.

I was a member and volunteer at the Shed Aquarium, and if they are any indication, they have no issues with the aquarium industry. At least for the most part... If you're one of many *******es that bought a shark that has outgrown their 125 gallon tank and thinks a public aquarium would want your fish, they may feel differently about you :p In fact the Shed and other public aquariums rely on the same channels we do for their livestock.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe already posted;

USFWS Los Angeles: We are now advising the trade of coming ESA listings

And it appears these guys are behind it all:
Clownfish could be declared an endangered Species

some more reading and checking into these guys came up with "Center for Biological Diversity," and they are a huge number of mostly lawyers who make their living filing lawsuits against government agencies to further their conservation causes with very little real science to back up their claims. They were started by three former USFWS employees that got fired 25 years ago in New Mexico and have been on a witch hunt ever since. They all make very handsome salaries sitting in offices suing and threatening to sue their former employers. They are very good at using media and social media to promote their cause. Seems that the USFWS pends the majority of their annual operating budget answering petitions and lawsuits from these guys. Did you ever wonder where all the government money goes that is supposed to be used to protect the environment and wildlife?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to their thoughts on Hobbyists I would probably assume that they hate us (But I could be wrong)

Joe Yaiullo from Atlantis Aquarium in Long Island is a hobbiest on a grand scale with his 20,000 gallon reef.
Richard Ross from the Steinhart Aquarium has a 150 at home and recieved the Aquarist of the year award at Macna.
Jake Adams from the Denver Aquarium helped to host Macna and is a National guest speaker who supports our hobby.

These are just a few of the people working at the National aquariums. They know that we hobbiests are more supportive at saving the reefs than your "average joe public" and support us as much as possible. The are more proactive in our hobby at keeping things coming into the trade than you know. Far more helpful and proactive than comments in this thread. I can assure you of that.

Last edited:

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe already posted;

USFWS Los Angeles: We are now advising the trade of coming ESA listings

And it appears these guys are behind it all:
Clownfish could be declared an endangered Species

some more reading and checking into these guys came up with "Center for Biological Diversity," and they are a huge number of mostly lawyers who make their living filing lawsuits against government agencies to further their conservation causes with very little real science to back up their claims. They were started by three former USFWS employees that got fired 25 years ago in New Mexico and have been on a witch hunt ever since. They all make very handsome salaries sitting in offices suing and threatening to sue their former employers. They are very good at using media and social media to promote their cause. Seems that the USFWS pends the majority of their annual operating budget answering petitions and lawsuits from these guys. Did you ever wonder where all the government money goes that is supposed to be used to protect the environment and wildlife?

I was told that they were a bunch of young lawyers just trying to make a name for themselves.

They could care less about Coral (Whether in the Ocean or in People's Tanks).

They just want recognition and want to further their careers and make more money in the mean time making others suffer in the process.

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that they were a bunch of young lawyers just trying to make a name for themselves.

They could care less about Coral (Whether in the Ocean or in People's Tanks).

They just want recognition and want to further their careers and make more money in the mean time making others suffer in the process.

Pretty sickening in my opinion

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Joe Yaiullo from Atlantis Aquarium in Long Island is a hobbiest on a grand scale with his 20,000 gallon reef.
Richard Ross from the Steinhart Aquarium has a 150 at home and recieved the Aquarist of the year award at Macna.
Jake Adams from the Denver Aquarium helped to host Macna and is a National guest speaker who supports our hobby.

These are just a few of the people working at the National aquariums. They know that we hobbiests are more supportive at saving the reefs than your "average joe public" and support us as much as possible. The are more proactive in our hobby at keeping things coming into the trade than you know. Far more helpful and proactive than comments in this thread. I can assure you of that.

I knew Joe and Richard Ran those Aquariums but didn't know Jake worked at an aquarium.

What does he do there?

Is he in charge of it or does he do something else?

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vary hardy frogspawn is now endangered? I couldn't kill it if i tried. Unless one would brake it from its base and take the hole thing. Never leaving a LPS behind to regenerate. What a shame.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To boot in about year 2030 is the best guess will wipe out coral from the oceans acidification do to CO² dropping alkalinity, and killing there photosynthesis cells with warmer water. Ill keep my frogspawn alive until its ready to be introduced back to the wild.

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just in case someone missed it:
- the permit ban is for the Caribbean, Samoa and other islands that we actually are banned from getting any of these corals there already
it did not mention Indo pacific , Bali, Tonga, or any current viable collection point- were all OK....
-just take a deep breath

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be the only one that is happy about the ban?
I have, over the years, watched many many corals go into new tanks with very little success and the death of the coral. So many new folks in every fourm and within 2 months they are posting '4 sale.' How many of us received late packages and death of corals? I have. Does anyone realize how much death happens to the live stock, including fish, from harvest to facility to supplier to tank? I would imagine 1/4 makes it. All we want is a guarantee that the animal lives and that is it. I sit here looking at my tank and my small failures over the years and wonder if everyone else has had hiccups too and multiply that by thousands on top of the dead animals that died in shipping. Is there alot of other sources of death caused to these creatures? Of course there is, It really sounds like a bunch of kids not getting their way. We all try our best at keeping these creatures and we all know better than the next person, but the fact is they still die. We have all the coral we want, or the next guy does, why do we need the reef to continue? Cheaper prices?

seasaltedinsrq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just in case someone missed it:
- the permit ban is for the Caribbean, Samoa and other islands that we actually are banned from getting any of these corals there already
it did not mention Indo pacific , Bali, Tonga, or any current viable collection point- were all OK....
-just take a deep breath
well said!

Neptunes Cove

rare collector corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frogspawn Is all 4 divisa/ paradivisa/ YaeYaemensis (octopus frogsawn)/ and cristata

Last edited:

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But only the Paradivisa is the type that is now endangered?

It was listed as threatened. Something I've noticed from reading through these posts is that no one seems to have an understanding of the entire situation.

Just because E. paradavisa is the only species of Euphyllia listed doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact on the other species of Euphyllia. The US Fish and Wildlife Services is tasked with enforcing any ruling made by thr National Marine Fisheries Service. USFWS does not know how to properly identify all species listed under the ESA. When they are unable to properly ID something and it looks like it, it is it. So go take a look a Euphyllia paranchora and tell me if someone who has no understanding of coral could definitively tell the difference between the two. This is where the slop gets slippery. The majority of the corals on the list are SPS. A large portion of hobbyists can't tell the difference yet alone a USFWS officer.

I really can't wait until the round table discussion from MACNA is posted on BRS TV's YouTube channel so everyone can hear a panel of experts on the subject talking about it. Perhaps at that point the severity of the issue will sink in. I'd encourage all of you there visit Ret Talbot blog page titled The Good Catch a Fisheries Centric Blog. There's so much information there.

http://rettalbot.wordpress.com

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back