BREAKING NEWS: USFWS Notifies Aquarium Businesses that Importing Listed Corals is Illegal

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the list below I don't see how this effects our hobby at all. It's seems as if all of this was a misunderstanding as far as our hobby goes. Most of these have been protected by the state/region for many years. There is no mention of Indo or Australia which is where nearly all of the coral in this hobby comes from. Its been illegal to harvest stony coral from the caribbean waters for nearly 2 decades therefore the carribean water section of this list has zero effect on our hobby because nothing has changed. As for Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Pacific remote and American Samoa our hobby gets very little coral from those regions compared to. All of the species that are listed that are common in our hobby are coming from Indonesia.
In all, not one of those on the list effect or impact our hobby at all.

Here is a list of the corals and where they are collected.

graph_zps3d2707af.jpg

NOAA Lists 20 New Corals as Threatened Under the Endangered Species Act. :: NOAA Fisheries

Last edited:

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pshhhhhhh like the government knows what a garf bonsai acropora vs a pink birdsnest there gonna be like "alright billy looks like colorful coral stick things to me confiscate it and lets make it to dennys before we get that cook that doesn't know how to make pancakes.

barereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad to see some positive responses.

And many of them I agree with.

There are many sources of damage to reefs ranging from natural to man made. The aquarium trade is certainly not THE cause of reef degradation but it is ONE of the causes.

While transplanting coral from our systems back to the wild is a worthy cause in theory. I do not think it is that simple. You would also transport the pests and diseases from our systems around the world and to regions where certain coral pests and disease where not before. It may be possible to do but it would be logistically complicated.

Just to clarify much of the money from the BP deep water horizon spill is going to conservation, preservation and remediation projects around the gulf through grants.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Is just another way our American government want to control our lives .There doing the same with the way I fish also with certain speices One fish per trip . not even worth catching with the high cost of fuel!

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Model simulations on the long-term dispersal of 137Cs released into the Pacific Ocean off Fukushima - IOPscience

Reef damage done by reef hobby VS. Damage done to reef by Government and their corporations
Let's compare apples to apples

Okay, but now you have to prove that those elevated isotope levbels are high enough to do any real damage. By most expert accounts, beyond some areas very close to the disaster, they are not. You seem to want to talk about comparing apples to apples, and then you give us a zucchini. I'm not saying it's not a terrible disaster, but I'm not seeing how it actually relates to the discussion at hand.

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ike I do agree with you that man is very destructive but I do not believe that it is our hobby that is destroying the reefs. Look at the size of the reefs and then look at how much coral is Aquaculture and Mariculture now, its a lot and increasing all the time and the same goes for fish. You you will always want that rare coral or fish and pay a lot for it.

My answer to your post is if you don't like it then don't do it, we can do a lot of good, more than harm. Think of all the coral in the fish tanks and public aquariums around the world. If we lose a reef we can replant it with the same coral that was originally there. I for one would donate coral for a good cause and if you read about this we (The tank keepers) cause a fraction of the damage that is being caused. A lot of the damage is coming from farm run-off and other damage not us. I watched a YouTube video a little while ago and it was a dive and you could see where a boat anchor had been dropped on a reef and it had been dragged through the reef by the boat destroying everything as it went.

My comment to people that say "We are destructive" is KNOW YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR MOUTH..!! If you don't like it the get out of the hobby, or just have a box or water with nothing in it. Also dont eat that burger or steak that you like because apparently all the cows in the world are causing a huge methane problem in the atmosphere, don't drive that car that you like because of the emissions it gives off.

If we come together as a community we can do a great deal of good, if we say no wild coral that is on the list then it must be Aquaculture and Mariculture. Do not ban something that you do not understand...! I read as much as I can about this, the good and the bad from both sides, I try not to be on one side or another but to absorb the facts.

Watch this video and see how Australia managed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxulqw2zXbQ&list=UUcJv2rQDivg8NwXIxydJ86A

The very video you posted points our and supports my assertion that this hobby is destructive and operates in an unsustainable manner in regards to 70-80% of the ornamental aquarium trade. Also, to say that the hobby CAN do some good is very different from us actually doing it. To date, the hobby has never helped repopulate a wild reef, and odds are it probably never will. Also, the collection of fish for the hobby is FAR more destructive to the reefs than coral collection.

Leaving the hobby wouldn't do much good, I'd rather stay and encourage people be more responsible with the resources they're using. Hopefully I've done that a little over the years by helping to educate people on their inhabitant choices.

Last edited:

Adam Baggett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ike what I got from the video is they react faster than the government and ban collection in areas. This is responsible management. Not leaving it in the hands of the government that do not understand. The best people to take care of the reefs are the Marine Biologists not someone in goveent that has no understanding. What I am saying is we all need to come together as one voice with real fact behind us. Is Staghorn is endangered in the wild then let's do something. But they are going to ban ALL trade of these corals in the end. No matter if they came from the ocean or not. You will not be able to cross state line with them, ship then within the US or even swapping them with a fish pal with be illegal.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Is just another way our American government want to control our lives .There doing the same with the way I fish also with certain speices One fish per trip . not even worth catching with the high cost of fuel!

How is your life being controlled in any way as a result of these corals being placed on a threatened list?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ike what I got from the video is they react faster than the government and ban collection in areas. This is responsible management. Not leaving it in the hands of the government that do not understand. The best people to take care of the reefs are the Marine Biologists not someone in goveent that has no understanding. What I am saying is we all need to come together as one voice with real fact behind us. Is Staghorn is endangered in the wild then let's do something. But they are going to ban ALL trade of these corals in the end. No matter if they came from the ocean or not. You will not be able to cross state line with them, ship then within the US or even swapping them with a fish pal with be illegal.

First of all, these being listed as they have does not mean there will be any sort of ban. Second, what is your basis for thinking there will be a ban imposed of all trade even if there is an import ban placed. There is precedence for us continuing to farm, grow, and trade animal species even after they've become highly endangered. Ever had a buffalo/bison burger? Have you seen a bengal tigers in recent years in captivity? You can also insert any number of parrots and fish that are commonly bred and readily sold within the pet trade. No bans on shipping or crossing state lines...

Last edited:

coralsavers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't illegal to own them only import them from now on. Some of these corals can still be imported just not from certain waters you can still get the 20 species of coral just not from the locations they are listed as threatened or endangered. You can still go into international waters to harvest no country owns them there

specvjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't illegal to own them only import them from now on. Some of these corals can still be imported just not from certain waters you can still get the 20 species of coral just not from the locations they are listed as threatened or endangered. You can still go into international waters to harvest no country owns them there

They haven't made that decision yet. At this time, there are no restrictions on importing them. Your comment on international water is completely false. If they were to put a ban importing them, it wouldn't matter where they came from. They would not be legal to import at all. You wouldn't be allowed to import aquacultured corals on the list from Canada to the US.

Last edited:

coralsavers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To really save the reefs and corals drastic measures need to be taken. i have a marine fisheries degree and this is always a hot topic of discussion. With the acidification of the ocean and the melting of the polar caps action needs to be taken now. These species of coral are extremely sensitive as all experienced reef keepers know and these changes could cause a massive extinction within our life time.

coralsavers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain species are not threatened in certain countries therefore they should be able to export them. They have to be listed as threatened as a whole species to stop the importation of them. Just like fish in certain states or countries if it is listed as threatened or indangered there you cannot harvest them there but if u jump the international border or stateline then that same species is not listed. I have done studies on darters were this is a huge problem in one stream you can collect them for the aquarium trade ams the other the are threatened and it is illegal I think it is the same going on here

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry man. You are taking this way out of perspective. The ones that make that call are the ones with the science. The National Marine Fisheries Service,
National Atmospheric Association ad wildlife are all well respected organizations whom base there rulings on facts and peer reviewed science. The aquarium trade will never be banned or illegal as your conspiracy states. No one wants the coral trade to become outlawed. You are the one who is basing your claims off of nothing.
I can tell that you have not bothered to read any of the posts.

PETA wants them Banned so how can you say nobody wants them Banned?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO posts like this should not be allowed on this forum.

It sheds a light on the misinformed and plays into social and internet media hype. This scares people away from an already "weird" and "different" hobby, that most dont really understand the first thing about. It saddens me that these kind of discussions are allowed to go on. The community does not need tid bits of information to worry and get hyped up about. This is NOT what a community of passionate hobbyists needs. Nor a community trying to attract positive viewpoints and education of the ignorant. When real, solid information gets passed down the pipeline from reputable sources, then it should be posted and splashed across Facebook.

The government and wildlife protection agencies have greater problems then a bunch of nerds trying to grow coral. If anything they will just stop the import of, like it has been repeated in this forum post over and over, the import of WILD, ILLEGALLY obtained colonies.

If you want this hobby to keep on keeping on, then start with baby steps and realize the damage these posts can do to public opinion of "us" hobbyists.

I disagree.

We need to talk about this as much as possible to inform those that do not know.

Most people in the hobby are very casual and have no clue about this.

It is up to us to educate them so we can save this hobby.

If we do not fight these people they WILL win.

This is not something to be taken lightly.

We need to educate as well as Donate to PIJAC

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very simple, we all need to come together and stand as one. Educate everyone that we are not destroying the reefs and taking so many fish and coral that they are going extinct. We need to support agencies like PIJAC so they can gather the information and show that this is not the case. Australia went through this about 10 years ago, same situation and they came together and resolved it. We MUST do the same, we must educate and lobby. PIJAC is the way to go right now but they are not the end solution, we need an advisory council that is dedicated to this. But in the mean time we need to donate to PIJAC so they can get the ball rolling, we can do without that one piece of equipment or coral or fish for now. I have donated $100 to this because I would like to have Staghorn and Elkhorn in my tank.

Lets stand together in one voice..!!

Here are some links for you all.
Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council (PIJAC) - https://www.pijac.org/ADF

Sustainable Wild Collection of Australian Fish and Corals by Julian Baggio | MACNA 2014 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxulqw2zXbQ&list=UUcJv2rQDivg8NwXIxydJ86A

Replay of the Live Q&A Session With Mr. Saltwater Tank About Listing of Corals As "Endangered" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVwkh27b59c&list=UUCzKPoHKV7TZal7Hf2aEGCA

If we do not do this or do nothing and we have a divided attitude, "Well I got mine", it will mean the end of our hobby as we know it because you know they will go after soft coral and fish next....!!!

+1

Well Said.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the list below I don't see how this effects our hobby at all. It's seems as if all of this was a misunderstanding as far as our hobby goes. Most of these have been protected by the state/region for many years. There is no mention of Indo or Australia which is where nearly all of the coral in this hobby comes from. Its been illegal to harvest stony coral from the caribbean waters for nearly 2 decades therefore the carribean water section of this list has zero effect on our hobby because nothing has changed. As for Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Pacific remote and American Samoa our hobby gets very little coral from those regions compared to. All of the species that are listed that are common in our hobby are coming from Indonesia.
In all, not one of those on the list effect or impact our hobby at all.

Not at first.

But you give them those 22 then they want more and more and more.

And the more they add to that list the easier it is to add more later.

With each victory they get they will become more and more relentless because they know they will get their way.

That is why we cannot give them anything.

We must fight all this crap.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pshhhhhhh like the government knows what a garf bonsai acropora vs a pink birdsnest there gonna be like "alright billy looks like colorful coral stick things to me confiscate it and lets make it to dennys before we get that cook that doesn't know how to make pancakes.

Very true.

I have read here that Scientists Argue with each other on what is what.

How is a Customs Agent supposed to know if Scientists do not know?

It would be much easier for them to Ban All Coral so it makes it easier on customs agents.

Then what are you going to do?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back