BREAKING NEWS: USFWS Notifies Aquarium Businesses that Importing Listed Corals is Illegal

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Climate change and pollution has done more damage to reefs than anything...

That is true.

But the Moral Crusaders like Snorkel Bob do not care.

And they have way more money to fight us than we do to fight them.

Laws are made all the time that are idiotic and make no sense.

But once it is a law it is a law.

You telling the government that they are wrong means nothing to them as they take your Coral!

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is true.

But the Moral Crusaders like Snorkel Bob do not care.

And they have way more money to fight us than we do to fight them.

Laws are made all the time that are idiotic and make no sense.

But once it is a law it is a law.

You telling the government that they are wrong means nothing to them as they take your Coral!

Holy slippery slope!

What if they're not wrong, and those corals listed truly are threatened? It seems like many in this hobby have just as much of an agenda as Snorkel Bob...

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy slippery slope!

What if they're not wrong, and those corals listed truly are threatened? It seems like many in this hobby have just as much of an agenda as Snorkel Bob...

No, they are Wrong.

We Grow the Coral, Frag it, and pass it around for others to do the same.

If you left it in the Ocean to "Protect" It It would just Die.

Ocean Temperatures are Rising Killing Coral
Pollution
A Boat Runs it Over
A Noob Clumsy Tourist Diver Steps on It.
A Tsunami Breaks it
A Parrot Fish Eats it
Pests
Disease
Bacteria

These are just a few things that I thought of off the top of my head that would kill a coral in the ocean.

Many Freshwater Animals (White Clouds) are Extinct in the Wild.

Others like Rare Plecos are about to be Extinct in the Wild.

But there are a ton of them in Captivity due to Breeding.

So we will be the Saviors of the Coral not the Ocean.

I have read reports that as early as 2030 there will be absolutly NO Coral in the Ocean due to the Rising Temperatures.

So Yeah, lets stop people from having them and keeping them healthy and growing them at the right temperature.

Lets leave them in the Ocean for all of them to Die.

Real Smart!

ahmed.boomer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are Wrong.

Pollution
A Boat Runs it Over
A Tsunami Breaks it
A Parrot Fish Eats it
Pests
Disease
Bacteria

These are just a few things that I thought of off the top of my head that would kill a coral in the ocean.

I have read reports that as early as 2030 there will be absolutly NO Coral in the Ocean due to the Rising Temperatures.

So Yeah, lets stop people from having them and keeping them healthy and growing them at the right temperature.

Real Smart!
Until there's a study I don't think you can make that claim with 100% certainty. Think imports should still be permitted if it's from maricultured colonies.

The main issue is not that it's safer in the hobby, it's that when anything becomes "rare", people will pay more for it. Therefore it becomes more valuable and gets exploited, AKA people will dive and harvest that specific one to the point where that becomes a that as big as temperature, pollution or disease. That's just my justification for this.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I've got at least one of each of these! I'll bake cookies for the agents that will crash through my windows to confiscate them and place them back where they came from.

dante411x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, they are Wrong.

Pollution
A Boat Runs it Over
A Tsunami Breaks it
A Parrot Fish Eats it
Pests
Disease
Bacteria

Real Smart!

And to add to this. While yes, all of the people that really care about this issue are at least mostly successful at keeping coral, there are a huge number of people that have the money to buy that pretty coral at the store and kill it. And a huge number of stores that are more likely to sell it to make the profit instead of properly educating their customer to the risks. So yeah. To supply to us, it's not a big deal. Honestly I'm a bad customer for any store. If I do buy something, chances are that the whole community will have a piece of it within a few months. But those impulse buyers that spend money, kill it, buy some fancy equipment, kill it again, keep going until they quit.. They're the good customers. And there are a lot of people out there like that. And they will also be the ones completely behind this list, because they think that these corals are impossible to keep.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a better job growing corals then the Marine Biologists that are told what to say from the government so the biologists can get there Grants for next years Grants . Here`s an example. Miami Harbor is being expanded . They knew about this for 3 years ! they gave the divers to collect all the corals they can in 8 day! Only 1000 corals where saved ! How many more corals are being destroy right now ! Most of the ones being destroyed and buried in sand and rubble are on the endangered list !!! Our fine government at work! Big money talks that's why the expansion of the Miami Harbor is happening and the corals are not all being saved .

THE MAD REEFER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also need to blame the fishing industry, the nets drag the ocean bottoms and clear areas as well, I will continue to frag what I grow and I will continue to sell drags or pay it forward

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They haven't made that decision yet. At this time, there are no restrictions on importing them. Your comment on international water is completely false. If they were to put a ban importing them, it wouldn't matter where they came from. They would not be legal to import at all. You wouldn't be allowed to import aquacultured corals on the list from Canada to the US.

Don't think you understood what the other person you were replying to was actually saying. It's ok though. But there are areas where you can't import fish/coral to because it is banned. Just depends on where you live and where the coral came from. For I stance, I can guarantee you could never get a elkhorn from FL. There's plenty of restrictions and sometimes they vary by state. Sometimes we don't even know them and do them anyways. To my knowledge and from what I've been told, I wouldn't be able to send you a mangrove because it's prohibited to send to Cali. Just one of those things not many find out.

Gabriel

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also need to blame the fishing industry, the nets drag the ocean bottoms and clear areas as well, I will continue to frag what I grow and I will continue to sell drags or pay it forward

I don't see this in my area but possibly somewhere else. I would think in other countries more though. In my opinion it's not really the nets but the people who don't know how to navigate and hit a shallow reef with their boat. This would be more likely.

Gabriel

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And to add to this. While yes, all of the people that really care about this issue are at least mostly successful at keeping coral, there are a huge number of people that have the money to buy that pretty coral at the store and kill it. And a huge number of stores that are more likely to sell it to make the profit instead of properly educating their customer to the risks. So yeah. To supply to us, it's not a big deal. Honestly I'm a bad customer for any store. If I do buy something, chances are that the whole community will have a piece of it within a few months. But those impulse buyers that spend money, kill it, buy some fancy equipment, kill it again, keep going until they quit.. They're the good customers. And there are a lot of people out there like that. And they will also be the ones completely behind this list, because they think that these corals are impossible to keep.

This is true +1

Gabriel

G_Sanab922

Keys Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BREAKING NEWS: USFWS Notifies Aquarium Businesses that Importing Listed Coral...

I do a better job growing corals then the Marine Biologists that are told what to say from the government so the biologists can get there Grants for next years Grants . Here`s an example. Miami Harbor is being expanded . They knew about this for 3 years ! they gave the divers to collect all the corals they can in 8 day! Only 1000 corals where saved ! How many more corals are being destroy right now ! Most of the ones being destroyed and buried in sand and rubble are on the endangered list !!! Our fine government at work! Big money talks that's why the expansion of the Miami Harbor is happening and the corals are not all being saved .
Interesting info but this is more of an emotional comment rather than facts. Don't think it's wise to bash agencies and gov like that either.
The trenching is only ONE thing destroying reefs. So we can't blame it on one thing or a certain group. There are so many other factors that we can be here all day. But there's also ppl out there doing good, and fixing reefs by growing them in the wild.

Gabriel

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sad.

I heard about this in a PodCast not to long ago.

Reef head

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This makes me mad too. Just like when they made illegal to keep Bald Eagles. Never had a pesty fish in my back yard before........ now I do!

barereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please direct me to one credible source of PIJAC's. I have looked all over their website and read the letter to MACNA etc. but I have yet to see a single citation or peer reviewed journal article. They claim to have the support of the coral biology and reef community. If you could please post a link to any studies or peer reviewed journal articles so I can take a look that would be great. I have accesses to databases so a citation or title would work too. I can find it from there.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting info but this is more of an emotional comment rather than facts. Don't think it's wise to bash agencies and gov like that either.
The trenching is only ONE thing destroying reefs. So we can't blame it on one thing or a certain group. There are so many other factors that we can be here all day. But there's also ppl out there doing good, and fixing reefs by growing them in the wil[

Maybe it was a little
Emotional comment yes ,but I have lived in Florida since the 70`s . How many of you forum member went to the Manca in Florida and enjoyed our wonderful beaches ? Believe it or not you were walking and sitting on the first reef were I used to snorkel and catch tropical fish . the second reef took some time to get back to normal but it was never like it once was . The government want to protect the reef s fine but what will they do to protect the endangered corals ? what are their plans ? Lets wait and see what happens ,do nothing ,What ?

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are some great talking points? which payroll are you on? Its so far not as doom and gloom as some would suggest, but who knows where it will head in the future. It is also not as rosy as the glasses you are looking through.

miamiangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are some great talking points? which payroll are you on? Its so far not as doom and gloom as some would suggest, but who knows where it will head in the future. It is also not as rosy as the glasses you are looking through.

No ones payroll . I just love my hobby starting with dead corals in the late 70`s which started with seining fish from sargasum weed from the beach and 20Gal tank to now not killing any live corals I have now (knock on wood ).I also love my Fishing and see how the same agency is pro commercial and blames rec anglers for over fishing.they Use the best science which is years old . Example : I am allowed 1 Golden Tilefish per day( Average weight 5 lbs ) while the commercial anglers are allowed 400lbs per trip not day! That`s the glasses I look through .It` not fair because we the hobbyist or anglers are not the problem .

Last edited:

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't directing my comment to you. No disrespect meant and sorry for the confusion. I agree with most of what you're saying. I thought I hit reply with quote, but I guess not. I was directing it to the person right above you bare reef. I find it a little interesting that out of seven posts six are on this thread, no tank thread or anything else since they've signed up, and their name. I think we all want to do right by the natural reefs, but I don't want to hear others' pure propoganda

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back