Brilliance in a straight line: Do you use a bar-shaped LED light?

Do you use a bar-shaped LED light?

• Yes, I use a bar-shaped LED light as my primary light.

Votes: 70 23.5%
  • Yes, I use a bar-shaped LED light as an accent light.

Votes: 53 17.8%
  • I use brackets to connect smaller lights into a bar-shape.

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • No, I do not use a bar-shaped LED light over my tank.

Votes: 168 56.4%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Many of the current LED lights for reef aquariums range from puck shape to sleek form factors that can be stitched together to create the desired lightening coverage. Sometimes these lights are physical connected with brackets to create what appears to be a single fixture. However, bar lights do exist where the LEDs are actually part of a single fixture. Sometimes bar-shaped lights have been used as accent lights and other times the LED bar-shaped lights are the primary light. Do you use a bar-shaped LED either as an accent light or a primary light? Tell us about your lighting configuration in the discussion thread that follows!

Pro Tip: When deciding on light mounting height, in addition to the light intensity also consider light overspill and ease of access for maintenance. For overspill, this may include using light shades or angling the lights to keep the light in the tank. For ease of maintenance, this may include light heights that are adjustable.

ReefBreeders_BarLight.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Breeders

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use Orpheks exclusively and OR3 bars as supplement and first and last lighting of the day. I have my lights at my current happy spot of 12" above water line

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Many of the current LED lights for reef aquariums range from puck shape to sleek form factors that can be stitched together to create the desired lightening coverage. Sometimes these lights are physical connected with brackets to create what appears to be a single fixture. However, bar lights do exist where the LEDs are actually part of a single fixture. Sometimes bar-shaped lights have been used as accent lights and other times the LED bar-shaped lights are the primary light. Do you use a bar-shaped LED either as an accent light or a primary light? Tell us about your lighting configuration in the discussion thread that follows!

Pro Tip: When deciding on light mounting height, in addition to the light intensity also consider light overspill and ease of access for maintenance. For overspill, this may include using light shades or angling the lights to keep the light in the tank. For ease of maintenance, this may include light heights that are adjustable.

ReefBreeders_BarLight.jpeg

Photo by @Reef Breeders

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
Currently I don’t have ‘strip’ lights however I absolutely will if I ever get my dream tank setup.

fodsod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the ReefBreeders Photon 48 V2 Pro for my 90g. I use the HOB brackets and have them 14 inches above the water.

The cost and a 2 year warranty played a part in my choice plus my favorite LFS store uses them for some of their coral tanks so I could pick their brains on settings if needed.
Nickelodeon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ReefBreeder Photon 24 -V2, which is not what I would consider as a bar LED, (although I think they can be linked together).

I was slow to change over to LEDs. I was intimidated to know which LED to choose and then as a low tech grandma, setting one up was really scary.

I watched the BRS LED showdown which was very helpful in guiding me to which LED was right for me. I love the low profile of hanging this light and that it is 16" off the water, so it never needs moved to work in the tank. I love the color and how my coral immediately responded positively to this light. And when I thought I had a glitch the 2nd week of using this light, ReefBreeder immediately contacted me and helped me realize that I accidently activated the lightening feature, (which is what can happen when a grandma gets her hands on tech!). The price was pretty nice too.

So in closing, I love this light and would never go back to T5HO.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I run 2 Viparspectra on my 4ft 75 gallon. Even mounted at 18 inches the spread is so so. I added a 4ft bar led and it really even things out and took care of a lot of shadowing in the front.

I really like the fact the bar light removes a lot of shadowing. I have more areas for corals. One downfall I can see running all bars you loose the ability to have zoning, areas for really high par corals and areas for less demanding ones.

So a combination of the 2 would work best I think in a mixed reef, without condemning some beautiful corals to the sand bed only.

I may add another bar in the back to help the corals even if I don't see the backside of them.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Aquatic life fixture that contains 4 80 Watt T5 HO bulbs. I also run 3 AI Hydra 52 LEDs Cross -ways front to back over my tank. My tank is 6 ft by 3ft wide by 31" deep. So, I reverse mounted the LEDs to be front to back to cover the width and have the T5s to deal with shadowing along the length of the tank. The fixture is 5 feet, I have it mounted 14" above the tank to allow the full LED Spread. So far, the anemenes that I've had in the tank take shelter under rock. They seem to not like the lights. My fish hang out under corals during the day shielding themselves from the lights.

I should probably do a par check to see where things are at?

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I run reefbrites paired with T5s and couldn't be happier with the results.

That said, I was considering getting a Magenta Stunner Strip from Ecoxotic only to find out they're defunct. Is any one using something similar or even a basic LED strip from the hardware store? If so how does that look? Bear in mind this is only for aesthetic pop.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run reefbrites paired with T5s and couldn't be happier with the results.

That said, I was considering getting a Magenta Stunner Strip from Ecoxotic only to find out they're defunct. Is any one using something similar or even a basic LED strip from the hardware store? If so how does that look? Bear in mind this is only for aesthetic pop.
Any RGB strip that has 3 channel control can be dialed in to a magenta.

Beamswork has a canned spectrum that is called pink, roseate ect
Basically RGB w/ green on very low output

How do they look... ????

Last edited:

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230424_135213.jpg

Quanta pro bar. Love the spectrum, spread, and punch. It's a great supplement to my Radion

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IDK, this question is about a bar but the picture is a panel. In fact, 2 panels.
I use Reefbreeders panel similar to the OP's picture. So yes?? I guess I do?
To me a bar is thin and a string of light, like a PC but led.

Last edited:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last bar shaped light was a 6ft Hamilton MH/T5 setup. 3x XR30 pros cover that 6ft now and look so much nicer. Nice not having that obstruction over the tank too.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see using strips as supplementation. But for me its got to have shimmer, my current Kessil's are pretty good, but I still kinda miss my metal halides.

Back