Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 117 37.7%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 42 13.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 12.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 105 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.3%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

For many years there has been discussion about the best type of lighting for reef tanks. Although most reefers currently use LED lights, there are still advocates for metal halide and T5 lighting. In some cases, reef keepers may use multiple types of lighting. What about you – do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef? If so, please let us know about your lighting configuration and help us understand why you made the decision to use multiple types of lighting. Similarly, if you have used multiple types of lighting in the past but no longer take that approach, please let us know why you moved away from multiple types of lighting for your reef.

EpicAquaculture_Lighting.jpeg

Photo by @Epic Aquaculture; March 2024 Reef of the Month

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

DinkinsLogo.png

“Dinkins Aquatic Gardens specializes in producing top-quality copepods, phytoplankton, amphipods, and berghia nudibranchs. We are a small husband-and-wife company that intensely focuses on customer service. We'd love to have you experience the Dinkins Difference!"

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 4 Kessil a360x Tuna Blues and 2 Reefbrite 48” actinic blue. Adding 2 more Reefbrites this weekend. Acros are growing fast. Not sure why Reefbrite doesn’t get more mentions, it’s a very nice light.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the Old Square Pin Power Compacts with LED Strips and Bars. Compact Bulbs were expensive and getting harder to get. Finally Ditched them for all LED Bars, and Homemade COB Floods. Corals, were just has happy with the LED’s. Makes me happy with less energy and heat.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank is Orphek dominant with Noopsyche k7’s for added shimmer

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 4 hydra 26hds and 4 t5s currently and am adding 2 250w mh for my peak

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an Aquatic Life T5 with 2 Kessil A360X. I really like the set up. The bulbs are 2 true actinic and 2 purple plus ATI.

The Kessils at 65 percent are giving me 150 PAR on the sand bed. Gives a lot of room for adjustment.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two AI primes mounted in an Aquatic life dimmable/controllable hybrid fixture. My Primes run my full photoperiod and give me my high noon, then I slowly back the whites out. I'm about to start running 2 true actinics and 2 blue + bulbs to enhance my violets and light blue/cyan, while providing a little spread and fill later in my photoperiod. I'm waiting on my controller so I can tune in the T5's for a nice balance and start acclimating the corals to the increased light.
IMG_20240327_223252.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back