ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1464486507.504709.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1464486519.252943.jpg

Finally got finished up.

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks nice. I was supposed to start mine this week, but still haven't.

Don't feel bad in the slightest. I have been building/planning this system since 2008 when Hurricane Ike put me in the dark ages for 2wks. Had a 5 yr reef at that point and all gone. This has been a long time coming. You will get there be patient invest in right the equipment when you find good deals and don't get discouraged. I've got about $2500 for this build all in so far spread out 8 years. I started with the light kit and tank I bought in '08. Standard 75g Petco Oceanic $1/gallon sale. Drilled holes for bulkheads and installed overflow myself to save some dough. I surely did not plan to take this long but in the end I'm happy with the result and even setup the system to be upgradeable when I'm ready to get a coveted rimless tank. All the equip was oversized to allow for a 100-150 gallon up size. Until then!
Good luck and stay focused on your goal.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I didn't get a big settlement for some bull that happened a few years back I wouldn't have the set up I have now. Probably wouldn't have gotten into the hobby as the start up cost is just out of this world. For the reed sea reefer and all equipment I laid down $5,000. But have what I have researched to be reliable and should last years.
Good luck with all the new builds and keep the BRS plumbing pictures coming I would like to see what other colors people are using.
Kinda late for me to make any changes ran out of room in the sump but if I ever start a new tank would like some ideas as well.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought spray paint that bonded to the PVC plumbing and safe for the tank. Got all the color you want and a lot cheaper.
Agreed. Krylon Fusion. Lots of colors to choose from and you can use the regular fittings from your local hardware store. Some of the plumbing I have done with it in my sump area (in black). Requires a little planning, pre-assembly, disassembly and some masking, but I like the continuous run of color. I even painted one of the gate valves and could have painted the unions as well. The plumbing has been is use now for more than two years and portions of it submerged in salt water.

0plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought blue pvc pipe from Home Depot. Better pricing from them and had it sent to my local HD for free shipping.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just need to figure out the return plumbing now. Was thinking of coming to a manifold with 1 1/2" then reducing down to 2 3/4" for return.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just need to figure out the return plumbing now. Was thinking of coming to a manifold with 1 1/2" then reducing down to 2 3/4" for return.
I did 3/4 from pump to manifold 3/4 from manifold to the tank and refugium then 1/2 from 2 shut offs from manifold to the two reactors I have. Just my set up you. You would think you should be fine reducing to 1/2 inch though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back