Bubble tip anemone in BioCube?

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a pair of clownfish to my BioCube 29, which currently has only live rock, and am thinking ahead to future inhabitants. I'm not sure I'll add another fish, but I would like to have some "easy" corals and maybe a bubble tip anemone for the clowns. (I have read it's not necessary for them, but it IS adorable when they host.)

Would a bubble tip do well with the lighting in my BioCube? I just have stock lights. Or are there better lights for it that would fit in the empty BioCube light slots?

If an anemone wouldn't work so well, how about a coral like frogspawn? Would the clowns prefer one over the other?

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a pair of clownfish to my BioCube 29, which currently has only live rock, and am thinking ahead to future inhabitants. I'm not sure I'll add another fish, but I would like to have some "easy" corals and maybe a bubble tip anemone for the clowns. (I have read it's not necessary for them, but it IS adorable when they host.)

Would a bubble tip do well with the lighting in my BioCube? I just have stock lights. Or are there better lights for it that would fit in the empty BioCube light slots?

If an anemone wouldn't work so well, how about a coral like frogspawn? Would the clowns prefer one over the other?
Yes, it will do fine with you BC29 lighting but I would not even think about this for 6 months, your tank is way to new.;)

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, is is not a guarantee the BTA will allow them to host. I have never had one host! :confused::rolleyes:

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question...(thank you all for your patience with me!)....

BTA split, right? Are most of the ones in a LFS clones or do they come from the ocean? I'm on a captive-bred craze for this tank, and I'd rather have one that split from another captive one than one that came from the ocean.... @cromag08, I hear you're the anemone whisperer...what do you think? [emoji16]

Thank you again for all the help, everybody!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the nems at your lfs are wild caught. this process is extremely stressful and is the reason for a lot of anemone deaths. I would highly recommend obtaining a captive split or long-term captive from a local reefer.

I have been splitting bubble tips for over 10 years and I have had a high mortality rate from the Indo ones. They just aren't very hardy at all.

My bc29....

_MAT0790_zpsviyhr3ai.jpg

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add additional leds. do you have a coralife?

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the nems at your lfs are wild caught. this process is extremely stressful and is the reason for a lot of anemone deaths. I would highly recommend obtaining a captive split or long-term captive from a local reefer.

I have been splitting bubble tips for over 10 years and I have had a high mortality rate from the Indo ones. They just aren't very hardy at all.

My bc29....

_MAT0790_zpsviyhr3ai.jpg

Gorgeous, @cromag08! [emoji7]

When the time comes, I will definitely seek out a captive split or one that a reefer has had for a long time and is looking to sell.

Thank you very much!

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many empty slots do you have?

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up and you have four empty slots and you have the one blue bar that it comes with. I would recommend you add all four bars. the color combo will be determined by you. more white or more blue:

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up and you have four empty slots and you have the one blue bar that it comes with. I would recommend you add all four bars. the color combo will be determined by you. more white or more blue:

You're fast! Yep, four slots. I'll load it up! Thank you!

RJinPV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question...(thank you all for your patience with me!)....

BTA split, right? Are most of the ones in a LFS clones or do they come from the ocean? I'm on a captive-bred craze for this tank, and I'd rather have one that split from another captive one than one that came from the ocean.... @cromag08, I hear you're the anemone whisperer...what do you think? [emoji16]

Thank you again for all the help, everybody!

I have an RBTA that has hosted my Ocelearis clowns for over a year now. It also has split into 3 RBTAs. So yes, RBTAs do host clowns. There are so many varieties of BTAs. Go to a frag swap meet or marine aquarium expo near you and you might be able to see all the varieties of colors. I bought mine from an LFS and it's pretty average looking. They go from $40 to $500 depending on the color. Most of these I would guess are captive raised and you would be dealing with the seller/grower directly.

OP
OP
TikiBird

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RBTA that has hosted my Ocelearis clowns for over a year now. It also has split into 3 RBTAs. So yes, RBTAs do host clowns. There are so many varieties of BTAs. Go to a frag swap meet or marine aquarium expo near you and you might be able to see all the varieties of colors. I bought mine from an LFS and it's pretty average looking. They go from $40 to $500 depending on the color. Most of these I would guess are captive raised and you would be dealing with the seller/grower directly.

Good to know! I'll have to be on the lookout for an expo in a few months!

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I installed a custom led kit in my bc, I never used the blue strip that came with mine. do you want it? it's yours (free) if you do. :)

You're fast! Yep, four slots. I'll load it up! Thank you!

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes down to picking a (r)bta just a couple of pointers I wish someone told be about nem health before making some bad decisions:

White, though it can be cool looking is typically a bleached nem.
If the mouth is wide/gaping the nem is grouchy (unless eating or pooping - if you're unsure its engaged in those activities simply come back for another visit)
If the Foot is bulbous - could be a sign of some physical trauma (tore foot).

All these symptoms, though conquerable, present real challenges to health and getting a nem acclimated to its new home. Agree with above statement on wild caught as well - air freight is probably not a pleasant trip for the nem (it's unpleasant for us, and I'm pretty sure nems get more tentacle room than we do leg room :) ).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back