Bubble tip anemone in BioCube?

that_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I found this thread...can I bump it with a another question?

I transferred my live rock from a tank I had years ago...hood crashed, save the irrelevant details, softies died and tank was in the dark for just under 5 years. No smell...clean water...still some movement from peanut worms...just some algae on some of the rock and glass and some empty crab shells left over.

I dipped my rock into hydrogen peroxide (kill algae) and then rinsed it in the tank water before placing it into my new 32g biocube, paired with new RO/DI water, and Hawaiian black live sand. I've been testing everyday for the past 4 days and ammonia has been at .25, nitrites and trates at 0. PH is at a steady 8.0

My question is in regards to the comment about the waiting period before placing a BTA in the tank:
Should I wait the 6 months or is my tank more of a 'transfer' rather than a 'new' tank?

Thanks for letting me ramble...

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I wait the 6 months or is my tank more of a 'transfer' rather than a 'new' tank?

I could write a book based on all the times impatience has burned me (and my reef).

May drop some pictures of the tank and have folks weigh in. I'd give it a few weeks(at least) if you H2O2'd your rock just to see if you get a little 'new tank syndrome'. I usually get a little bloom when I treat/purge a rock without completely curing it independently of DT (yeah, I know this is frowned upon, but I'm a rebel). There's bound to still have some die off going on if its just been 4 days and you can still detect ammonia. Ammonia ain't friendly for most of our critters.

Just my two copper pieces.

that_guy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...There's bound to still have some die off going on if its just been 4 days and you can still detect ammonia....

Yea...impatience is one of my best virtues. I think you're right...tested today and ammonia rose a bit from yesterday so I need to just chill and give it a while. I've got the new tank jitters and I need to just forget it for a few weeks and let things flow naturally. Thanks for talking me down off of the ledge...hahaha

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back