Bubbletip compatibility?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

I had a question - I picked up a bubbletip at a show a couple of weeks ago. I've always kept this species alone in tanks with clownfish, never mixed with other cnidarians. However, I put this one in my home AIO that is overgrown with softies.
I cleared out as many Kenya trees and zooanthids as I could, but of course, bubbletips being bubbletips, this one found a crack between two huge outgrowths of softies to set up shop.

I know next to nothing about their compatibility - do either of these softies pose a threat to the anemone? The zoanthids are pretty clearly closing up where the touch the anemone, so that's good.

Thanks,

Jay

bubbletip.jpg

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had a large 1ft by 1/2 ft rock of completely encrusted by zoas that never could be killed (were in my first tank which was very unstable as a beginner), bubble tip landed on top of them & stayed there for month and completely wiped out all of them and a whole bunch of GSP, like a nuclear bomb lol

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large 1ft by 1/2 ft rock of completely encrusted by zoas that never could be killed (were in my first tank which was very unstable as a beginner), bubble tip landed on top of them & stayed there for month and completely wiped out all of them and a whole bunch of GSP, like a nuclear bomb lol

Good - I can only hope (grin).

Jay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nem! I concur - nems are almost indestructible on an established tank. Nems can overshadow and kill zoas, softies, and SPS. From my experience, they are nomads if they don’t like flow or light so that may not be its permanent home.

Here is mine near the zoa garden — it eventually moved though.

Attachments

• IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 69

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Some strangling my large toadstool...
and the rose one leaving the rock it obliterated...

Attachments

• Pasted Graphic.png
    Pasted Graphic.png
    442.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1613.JPG
    IMG_1613.JPG
    182.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_9002.JPG
    IMG_9002.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 59

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned about chemical warfare (aka allelopathy), I think the only inhabitants to possibly be concerned about are leather corals and other anemones (both BTAs and other species).

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and another thing, they will split (happy or stressed) and move around the tank to cause even more damage! lol

It's a First World problem if you have one of those "designer" nems. I'm building a nem-dominant tank myself so looking forward to a whole tank domination.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're concerned about chemical warfare (aka allelopathy), I think the only inhabitants to possibly be concerned about are leather corals and other anemones (both BTAs and other species).
I run lots of carbon thru a reactor since I mix Haddoni carpets and RBTAs, hoping that it will control the potential chemical warfare between the species.

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - I was just worried about direct stinging of the anemone by the softies. I’ve been harvesting the Kenya, GSP and zoanthids just to try and keep them under control.
Jay

OP
OP
Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...and another thing, they will split (happy or stressed) and move around the tank to cause even more damage! lol

It's a First World problem if you have one of those "designer" nems. I'm building a nem-dominant tank myself so looking forward to a whole tank domination.
I had some of the original splitting anemones from the Shedd Aquarium clone - ugly pale brownish red with long tentacles, but they produce so many clones that they literally took over our clownfish exhibits (grin).

Jay

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and another thing, they will split (happy or stressed
Jay may be OK in that his tank looks mature. Mine have stopped splitting now that the tank has matured. I went from 3 to over 40 at one point years back but now that the tank has matured I haven't had a split in well over 2 years. But nems will be nems so ya never know for sure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi Folks,

I had a question - I picked up a bubbletip at a show a couple of weeks ago. I've always kept this species alone in tanks with clownfish, never mixed with other cnidarians. However, I put this one in my home AIO that is overgrown with softies.
I cleared out as many Kenya trees and zooanthids as I could, but of course, bubbletips being bubbletips, this one found a crack between two huge outgrowths of softies to set up shop.

I know next to nothing about their compatibility - do either of these softies pose a threat to the anemone? The zoanthids are pretty clearly closing up where the touch the anemone, so that's good.

Thanks,

Jay

bubbletip.jpg
1700782719978.png

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA moved into my little 3 torch garden. Looks like he stung 2 of them - hasn't messed with the 3rd, it's a bit farther away. The 2 that were stung retracted and I moved them away - lost one of them (the nicer one of course) and the 2nd looks to be making a comeback.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back