Can’t anyone identify this purple thing on my stock of my candy cane coral?

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my corals this morning and noticed this purple thing I’ve never seen before.

IMG_1130.jpeg

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vermetid snail to me, hard to say for sure. They're really small, so it's not a matter of a bad picture - kudos for actually including a picture with good detail.

If you look closely, can you see any kind of mucus net going out from it?

Could also be some coralline algae, but it looks like it has some depth to it, so I'm not sure about that. It's the right color through.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like that one has some height to it. I've noticed a couple of deep purple bumps on my frags - mine are more like low round lumps. They are really hard and I can't scrape them off. I wonder if it is some kind of snail.

OP
OP
D

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a vermetid snail to me, hard to say for sure. They're really small, so it's not a matter of a bad picture - kudos for actually including a picture with good detail.

Could also be some coralline algae, but it looks like it has some depth to it, so I'm not sure about that. It's the right color through.

Could also be some coralline algae, but it looks like it has some depth to it, so I'm not sure about that. It's the right color thr

I noticed it this morning before work, At the time I did not see anything, It definitely has some shape to it as it looks to be around 1cm long tube shape…

OP
OP
D

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like that one has some height to it. I've noticed a couple of deep purple bumps on my frags - mine are more like low round lumps. They are really hard and I can't scrape them off. I wonder if it is some kind of snail.
Yes I just stocked my tank with around 8 different coral frags so I’m not sure what I could have introduced into the system… I did dip each one before I put into my tank and each frag had something fall off it…. I don’t have a quarantine tank and I think I’m regretting it!

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I just stocked my tank with around 8 different coral frags so I’m not sure what I could have introduced into the system… I did dip each one before I put into my tank and each frag had something fall off it…. I don’t have a quarantine tank and I think I’m regretting it!
Same! I just last night moved all my frags from my Evo 13.5 to my new 40B and when I inspected them I just used bone cutters to nip off the part of the frag plug that had that hard purple shell. Take that!!

OP
OP
D

Dan1979e

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for possible vermatid. Take it out and scrape it off to the base and hope it's the only one but it probably isn't.
Well as I took a closer look at the tank I found 3 more, not purple but same body type. I think they r Vermated snails… If I have an infestation how do I get rid of them?

Back