Can I add a third clownfish?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the pair I have, and a black storm/mocha storm pair

Not sure how many times experienced people can rephrase but I will try ;)

If you have more than two clowns (who cares what kind, what order they are added or what their mix is, mated or not) - heavy odds are that there will be murder until 2 remain.

Are there exceptions? Sure a broken clock is right twice a day and there are lionesses who take care of stray puppies... would your let you puppy into a lions den?

Tank size can matter, but the difference between a 29 and 120 isn't a distinction...

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tedious but Tedious doesn’t mean much when you’re passionate about it. This was very interesting and informative, thank you! So would you do the same thing if I introduced a new pair? Or two new ones at the same time rather like a black storm mocha storm duo?
Sorry bud, I was under the impression we were talking about a bigger tank. I really don’t think it’s doable for you in a 30gallon. Minimum tank size for pushing past 2 clowns would be 75 gallons in my books, and even then it only works with heavily rock filled aquariums, with a lot of hiding spots, not the airy aquascapes that are popular these days. 90 gallons for a decent harem tank with minimal fighting.
Again I apologize, it was highly irresponsible and incorrect of me to give the advice in my previous post without checking your tank size. If you followed the advice in my previous post you’d probably have to leave the mirrors up indefinitely to dispel aggression, which I’ve never done and would be pretty obstructive of your viewing. Plus you’d have to make sure no algae was growing on the glass inside the tank by the mirror or they lose their effectiveness. To top it off I’m pretty sure even fish would wise up to the mirrors in the long run.

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry bud, I was under the impression we were talking about a bigger tank. I really don’t think it’s doable for you in a 30gallon. Minimum tank size for pushing past 2 clowns would be 75 gallons in my books, and even then it only works with heavily rock filled aquariums, with a lot of hiding spots, not the airy aquascapes that are popular these days. 90 gallons for a decent harem tank with minimal fighting.
Again I apologize, it was highly irresponsible and incorrect of me to give the advice in my previous post without checking your tank size. If you followed the advice in my previous post you’d probably have to leave the mirrors up indefinitely to dispel aggression, which I’ve never done and would be pretty obstructive of your viewing. Plus you’d have to make sure no algae was growing on the glass inside the tank by the mirror or they lose their effectiveness. To top it off I’m pretty sure even fish would wise up to the mirrors in the long run.
It’s alright, I should have mentioned that to begin with since tank size plays prob the most vital role in what fish you can have period lol

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how many times experienced people can rephrase but I will try ;)

If you have more than two clowns (who cares what kind, what order they are added or what their mix is, mated or not) - heavy odds are that there will be murder until 2 remain.

Are there exceptions? Sure a broken clock is right twice a day and there are lionesses who take care of stray puppies... would your let you puppy into a lions den?

Tank size can matter, but the difference between a 29 and 120 isn't a distinction...
I see what you’re saying there’s an exception to every rule

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you’re saying there’s an exception to every rule
That was not really the point....

The point was that just because you can seek the answer that you want to hear and finally get somebody to agree, does not mean that it is the correct answer ;)

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was not really the point....

The point was that just because you can seek the answer that you want to hear and finally get somebody to agree, does not mean that it is the correct answer ;)
I understand lol

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not going to read all of the previous replies...but my answer to the question at hand would be, "Sure if you want to watch it die as your pair bullies it to death."

That being said, a friend of mine has a 180 gallon with 3 clownfish in it...they are fine. The pair stays on one side of the tank and the third one stays hidden away up in a corner of the tank where it never moves from.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back