Can I add a third clownfish?

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s not recommended. But I have an reg ocellaris and a Divinci clown right now. I was wondering if I can add a black storm as a third? Maybe if the black storm was bigger than the two of them it would be alright? Has anyone done a third?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s not recommended. But I have an reg ocellaris and a Divinci clown right now. I was wondering if I can add a black storm as a third? Maybe if the black storm was bigger than the two of them it would be alright? Has anyone done a third?
I have seen 3 work however it isn’t recommended at all. That percula is likely to kill the newly introduced occelaris.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought a Divinci was ocellaris? And ohh wow even if the storm is bigger? So what about adding a black storm orange storm combo

Aquarist76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add a third if the other two were already there. If you added them all at the same time then maybe. I have a 75G tank that has two orange storm ocellaris, one Picasso percula, and one latezonatus clownfish. They all tolerate each other but I added them at the same time also with some other fish. The storm pair hang out together, the Picasso has a hangout on the opposite side of the tank, and the latz does whatever she wants because she's bigger than all three others put together (not an aggressive fish though).

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do what you wish, clowns will be clowns. Anything more than two in most cases will result in them killing others off until only two remain.
I’m not trying to be pig headed, I’m asking questions because I like to learn lol so even if they’re are 4

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i orginally had two ocellaris clown fish in my 75 gallon. when I went to a 125 gallon reef ready tank. i got 10 more ocellaris clown fish and had no problems at all.

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i orginally had two ocellaris clown fish in my 75 gallon. when I went to a 125 gallon reef ready tank. i got 10 more ocellaris clown fish and had no problems at all.
Well then you had a harem that’s a little different than 3 or 4 no?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a harem is much different than pairs. rarely can two pairs of clowns co exist in the same tank. Not saying its hasnt been done, but its not easy. Most people underestimate how vicious clowns can be, they are the most aggressive thing in alot of peoples tank by far. They even attack hands. If i were you, Id pick two clowns you like and stick with that.

MischiefReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not a good idea! Also if the other two are already established and one is a female, adding in a larger black storm would actually be the worst move. It will throw off the heirarchy. If anything, the black storm should either be the mid sized or smaller fish. Otherwise you could add more than 1 more and start a harem.
If you do decide to add only one third fish, I would ABSOLUTELY do the following:
Buy an introduction box that can hang or sit in your tank and use it for the new clown. Use it for at least a few days.
Tape one or two small mirrors to the sides of your tank, so the fish can see their reflection.
Make the actual introduction into the tank at night time after white are off, approx 30 mins before blues are off.
Room lights off within 30 minutes on the evening you introduce the fish.

I know this may seem tedious for just one introduction, but you are really creating a tough scenario for yourself!

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not a good idea! Also if the other two are already established and one is a female, adding in a larger black storm would actually be the worst move. It will throw off the heirarchy. If anything, the black storm should either be the mid sized or smaller fish. Otherwise you could add more than 1 more and start a harem.
If you do decide to add only one third fish, I would ABSOLUTELY do the following:
Buy an introduction box that can hang or sit in your tank and use it for the new clown. Use it for at least a few days.
Tape one or two small mirrors to the sides of your tank, so the fish can see their reflection.
Make the actual introduction into the tank at night time after white are off, approx 30 mins before blues are off.
Room lights off within 30 minutes on the evening you introduce the fish.

I know this may seem tedious for just one introduction, but you are really creating a tough scenario for yourself!
Tedious but Tedious doesn’t mean much when you’re passionate about it. This was very interesting and informative, thank you! So would you do the same thing if I introduced a new pair? Or two new ones at the same time rather like a black storm mocha storm duo?

OP
OP
Scaggs1117

Scaggs1117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed but what size tank are we talking about?
I have an aqueon 29 gal so 30x12x18.
filtration I have a fluval 370 and I’m adding a bubble maggus qq1 skimmer. I have two hygger mini DC powerheads that are 1600gph each, one is on 40% the other random.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an aqueon 29 gal so 30x12x18.
filtration I have a fluval 370 and I’m adding a bubble maggus qq1 skimmer. I have two hygger mini DC powerheads that are 1600gph each, one is on 40% the other random.
My recommendation on two pairs in a tank that size would be absolutely not. Maybe in a 4ft tank, even better in a 6ft tank with no guarantee but I would never attempt it in a 30 inch tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation on two pairs in a tank that size would be absolutely not. Maybe in a 4ft tank, even better in a 6ft tank with no guarantee but I would never attempt it in a 30 inch tank.
this is great information. Clownfish are territorial and it is just irresponsible to attempt this in such a small of a tank size. It has a low chance of working even in a 4ft tank and even then you should have a backup plan like a second tank to move the attacked clownfish into if it didnt work

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is great information. Clownfish are territorial and it is just irresponsible to attempt this in such a small of a tank size. It has a low chance of working even in a 4ft tank and even then you should have a backup plan like a second tank to move the attacked clownfish into if it didnt work
@Scaggs1117 Thank you for researching before adding rather than looking for help afterwards.

Last edited:

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also true exnisstech. Sorry if my post was too blunt and us reefers on the forum are here to help you find answers. Very much responsible for reaching out before attempting this

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back