Adding a 3 clownfish?

Epicanimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon reef tank with a pair of clownfish. Could I add a third clownfish in a month or so. Or should I just add a goby instead?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

If you added two or four more, they might fare better.
Yup. In a correctly sized tank this is true :)
Dont attempt it in a 20 gallon though :) just stick with the two

OP
OP
Epicanimal

Epicanimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. In a correctly sized tank this is true :)
Dont attempt it in a 20 gallon though :) just stick with the two
Yeah that makes sense. too much fighting. Would it be territory as a reason they would fight?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that makes sense. too much fighting. Would it be territory as a reason they would fight?

Yeah, fish in aquariums (and in ocean, but on a much broader scale) establish territories, so new editions can be really problematic depending on the temperament of your current fish. It doesn’t mean you couldn’t have multiple clownfish, but since two are already established the odds of a third (or fourth) integrating well are much less likely. The current fish will be worried about food availability and guarding what they’ve already claimed as theirs.

OP
OP
Epicanimal

Epicanimal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, fish in aquariums (and in ocean, but on a much broader scale) establish territories, so new editions can be really problematic depending on the temperament of your current fish. It doesn’t mean you couldn’t have multiple clownfish, but since two are already established the odds of a third (or fourth) integrating well are much less likely. The current fish will be worried about food availability and guarding what they’ve already claimed as theirs.
Okay makes sense, so if i had gotten 3 when i purchased the pair that could have been fine?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, as said earlier, if you added 3 at the same time, 2 would’ve paired up and the odd clown out would have been bullied to death by the pair.

+1
Odd numbers of clowns in such a small quantity aren’t really good for smaller tanks, or most tanks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back