Can't seem to keep nitrates down

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Throughout my use of -NP Pro I dosed Pro Bio S regularly thanks :)
50 ppm of nitrates is a lot of n03 to go through it would take some time.... life bio fill was developed to he'll in the housing of the bacteria to true a population. U don't need it but it would take longer

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 ppm of nitrates is a lot of n03 to go through it would take some time.... life bio fill was developed to he'll in the housing of the bacteria to true a population. U don't need it but it would take longer
I ended up using Pro Bio S (with -NP Pro of course) for a solid year so I definitely was well seeded. Also I have quite a bit of Matrix and Siporax in my sump so I don't think I was limited on bacterial colonization space.

For me I chose to switch for several reasons. -NP Pro is a very mild form of carbon dosing and I really do not know exactly what is in it other than they describe it as a "polymer". I really do agree with Myka in the sense that it is used best to lightly reduce low-mod levels of nitrate (not 50ppm). Also, there is not much evidence/reports about using it in higher amounts as there is with vinegar and vodka. I actually keep this tank very clean by removing all sources of detritus on a weekly basis even if the nitrate doesn't reflect it. So I think it will be a great transition and it's something I should've done a long time ago. I will keep updating with my experience in the hopes others may benefit :)

OP
OP
drawman

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is it that you are switching too now? I missed that part
I switched to a mixture of vinegar and vodka (69% vinegar and 31% 80 proof vodka). These concentrations were used with tmz and others with great success on the other forum. It is not that far off from the concentrations in NOPOX. I dose 2x daily and am on a ramp up schedule that is commonly used for vodka only (I back calculated everything in terms of amount of carbon).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back