Carpet anemones

brotherd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dinner plate size blue carpet. Great creature but ate a few fish and even puked up the shell of a hermit crab. Turned up the flow and it released from the display floor. Now residing in the coral ht tank in the basement. Never in the display tank again. Ever!

ademster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 18 inch purple s. gig and hasn't eat any fish yet,

I love it! My Maroons host it along with a rbta. I also have a porcelan crab that hangs out on it
My bangaii cardinal likes to get real close to it, as well as my cleaner shrimp.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no brighter color than a nice carpet in a reef tank. Certain fish are more prone to been eaten than other. You need to keep you fish calm. No sudden light on or off. Nothing to spook your tank. You need to have clowns in your tank. These will decrease the chance that your fish been eaten by carpet. Best of luck with these extremly beautiful creatures.

Carpets2014080501.jpg

Carpets2014080501.jpg

DTz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10723650_10152445902282097_775723487_n.jpg

got this as a gift. its been in my tank for 2 mths + ... havent move since .... n 0 kills on fish. :)

it gets big fast tho

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like these colorful carpet anemones. I like them better than any corals, in fact, and in my tank, the blue gigantea with its trio of clowns and an anemome crab is definitely the most interesting thing in the tank. :)

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful as they can move when and where they want. Cover your poweheads...laugh if you want thinking it won't happen to yours. I thought the same for a long time as mine stayed put, till one day :sad:

All that aside, I still think they are one of the more beautiful nems out there.

Amen! I've had three nems - RBTA in my case. Two have been very well behaved and stayed where I put them. The third just couldn't find his happy place and decided one night to go for a swim. Unfortunately, I'd taken the foam covers off the pumps earlier that night to clean them and hadn't put them back on. I ended up with a sliced and diced nem and a thoroughly defunct MP-40 wet side. :cry:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like these colorful carpet anemones. I like them better than any corals, in fact, and in my tank, the blue gigantea with its trio of clowns and an anemome crab is definitely the most interesting thing in the tank. :)

I agree with you randy. Coral is kinda boring. I like something that moves and will host my clowns. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amen! I've had three nems - RBTA in my case. Two have been very well behaved and stayed where I put them. The third just couldn't find his happy place and decided one night to go for a swim. Unfortunately, I'd taken the foam covers off the pumps earlier that night to clean them and hadn't put them back on. I ended up with a sliced and diced nem and a thoroughly defunct MP-40 wet side. :cry:

:) :)

OP
OP
Djbrandriff150

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did wind up getting rid of my carpet nem. I had a few of my more pricey wrasses go missing and I couldn't take the chance with them missing when I buy more!!! It was an awesome looking nem no doubt about it. If I get another tank set up I will have a few but have just certain fish... Less $$$

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones need to be the show speciment of your tank. The tank need to be set up with anemone in mind, and they need to be the primary animal. Others animals are "also living" in the tank. Other than Carpets, both Gigantea and Haddoni, are fish eater. Other host anemones are not fish eater (highly unlikely that they eat fish)

scoobysnack77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did wind up getting rid of my carpet nem. I had a few of my more pricey wrasses go missing and I couldn't take the chance with them missing when I buy more!!! It was an awesome looking nem no doubt about it. If I get another tank set up I will have a few but have just certain fish... Less $$$
my brother in law just got really strong large fish that could escape the carpet but thats still a sad situation to put a fish in :( mostly when the lights go out fish swim right into a death trap. get pretty expensive feeding a carpet anemone fresh fish every month or so.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 16 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back