Chaetto: When to add?

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finally cycled my tank and am hoping to get some clowns this weekend but would also like to add chaetto in the back of my sump. My PH is 8.2 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 AND Nitrate 5ppm. I read on another post that you need to add chaetto before you add fish but can I add at the same time. Will be adding coral and inverts in a few months. Very new to the saltwater hobby.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can add cheato anytime as long as you have enough nutrients for them to live/grow. Never heard about adding before fish.....

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added chaeto when my system was still pretty new.. like around the 2 month mark. It never really grew and eventually I began to notice strands of the stuff turning white so I removed. My tank is more established now, parameters are stable for the most part and now finally after months I can actually get the stuff to grow. What are you hoping to achieve with chaeto?

OP
OP
saltylilthang

saltylilthang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added chaeto when my system was still pretty new.. like around the 2 month mark. It never really grew and eventually I began to notice strands of the stuff turning white so I removed. My tank is more established now, parameters are stable for the most part and now finally after months I can actually get the stuff to grow. What are you hoping to achieve with chaeto?
Pretty much a refugium in my sump to filter the water but I did more research and wont be getting any till maybe 6months to a year.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back