Child Proofing Your Aquarium: By cdness

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How Many people have their stands anchored to the wall??

I want to very badly, but we're renting our apartment :( Maybe I can fashion a brace of sorts between the tank and the wall, just basically to widen the base area. California earthquakes can really ruin your day.

I don't have children, and don't want them, but friends with kids (including a four-month-old) are moving in right next to us, so I need to be careful.

Last edited:

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have these Magnetic locks on both my nano and my 72G. The Knob ties are unsightly and the spring latches allow the cabinet to be pulled out a little so you can put you finger in and unlatch it, baby can get a good grip and go to town on the cabinet door. With the magnetic locks you can install it so it is snug and has no play whatsoever. Only downside is you have to have the magnetic key to open it, I just use my Mag cleaner to open it.
pTRU1-8615530dt.jpg

These are really nifty also. They fit over the big plugs like those on surge protectors or coralife timers. I put one on my nano and one for the TV in the bedroom

pTRU1-6565562dt.jpg

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have these Magnetic locks on both my nano and my 72G. The Knob ties are unsightly and the spring latches allow the cabinet to be pulled out a little so you can put you finger in and unlatch it, baby can get a good grip and go to town on the cabinet door. With the magnetic locks you can install it so it is snug and has no play whatsoever. Only downside is you have to have the magnetic key to open it, I just use my Mag cleaner to open it.
pTRU1-8615530dt.jpg

These are really nifty also. They fit over the big plugs like those on surge protectors or coralife timers. I put one on my nano and one for the TV in the bedroom

pTRU1-6565562dt.jpg
Nice. I'll have to look into that.

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea (for small nano's) of siliconing the whole thing to a table so it can't tip over, and, siliconing the lid shut so only a small feeding space opens up.

When you need to raise the lid, you just cut the silicone with a razor and it comes right apart.

VicD81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea (for small nano's) of siliconing the whole thing to a table so it can't tip over, and, siliconing the lid shut so only a small feeding space opens up.

When you need to raise the lid, you just cut the silicone with a razor and it comes right apart.
You mean for a PICO? Nanos are heavy enough. 20 plus gallons with rock and sand take a lot of effort to tip over.

Wrx5803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned the hard way with my tank and children. I have an open front to my sump and used a baby gate until I could build the door. The one day I got some marine safe out of my locked cabinet and set it on my kitchen table. It was never Evan opened. It took about 30 seconds of me turning my back for my 2 year old to dump the entire bottle in my sump. He watched me dose certain things and knew this was fish related. I ended up loosing everything except fish and about 4 coral

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a diversion, we bought white board and some of the 3m Velcro strips. The stand is wrapped in the white board for the kids to draw on, and I can easily get to things. I keep all chemicals in a different room (locked).

Old thread but wanted to thank you for this tip! My 16mo old can now stand and touch the acrylic tank. I don't want him to scratch it up with toys so I'm going to put up about 4" of white board with Velcro around the perimeter. It's a peninsula.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back