Clarisea or Red Sea reefmat??

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

I have a clarisea sk3000 and im getting nearly 5 months between roll changes, this if course could be great but i tested today and i have 0.03 phosphate but 60ppm nitrate, i cannot help but thinking the clarisea isnt pulling out as much as it should hence the higb nitrate and long intervals between roll changes

Just wondering if id see any changes by swapping to a Red Sea reef mat or its wishful thinking, of course id like to sort the high nitrates but if i dont need to spend £350 that's good

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's a long time for a roll, the detritus and food is still breaking down while in your filter. Maybe adjust the roller to raise the water height in the roller or maybe go to a finer mesh material.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its at the highest height it can be creating the most headheight for water to push through the fleece, the clarisea however has a float switch to advance the roll and thats not adjustable

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looked it up, its rated for 800 gph. but need to make sure the water depth is set to max 8 inches. Only other thing might be the food and detritus are not getting moved out of your tank into the filtration.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looked it up, its rated for 800 gph. but need to make sure the water depth is set to max 8 inches. Only other thing might be the food and detritus are not getting moved out of your tank into the filtration.
Its sitting mostly out of the water which is recommended to force more water through the fleece.

Its a good point about food etc not getting into the filtration, i have 3x wave makers and a fair bit of flow, when i blow the rocks off it does kick the fleece roller into more action so im assuming its keeping things suspended ok

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its sitting mostly out of the water which is recommended to force more water through the fleece.

Its a good point about food etc not getting into the filtration, i have 3x wave makers and a fair bit of flow, when i blow the rocks off it does kick the fleece roller into more action so im assuming its keeping things suspended ok
the higher the water level the faster it will set off the water level sensor to rotate the roller fleece

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the higher the water level the faster it will set off the water level sensor to rotate the roller fleece
We might losing something in translation/understanding here but my clarisea is sitting virtually out of the water, just the bottom couple of inches in the water, this is what is recommended by the manufacturer on this filter roller

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot is getting past your roller filter, lower it to get it to roll faster, this will keep the food/detritus from breaking down in your filter, you need it deeper, max for it is listed as 8 inches deep

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot is getting past your roller filter, lower it to get it to roll faster, this will keep the food/detritus from breaking down in your filter, you need it deeper, max for it is listed as 8 inches deep
Nothing is getting past it, its a sealed box that has holes in both sides lined with the fleece the only way the water gets out is passing through the fleece

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your filter roll lasts a long time. the debris sits in the filter for a long time. allowing it to break down and raise your parameters. a new roller may not fix your condition. need to set it deeper into the water. this will cause it to change fleece faster. as stated above there may be more conditions involved, but 5 months on a roll is a long time.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your filter roll lasts a long time. the debris sits in the filter for a long time. allowing it to break down and raise your parameters. a new roller may not fix your condition. need to set it deeper into the water. this will cause it to change fleece faster. as stated above there may be more conditions involved, but 5 months on a roll is a long time.
Im literally doing what the manufacturer suggests, they say by sitting it out of the water it creates a bigger head pressure thus bring able to force the water through the fleece and as it clogs it essentially gets finer filtering properties, i totally agree something is wrong as 5 months is ridiculous, the sump needs a good clean so maybe ill drop the clarisea lower at the same time and see what happens

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We might losing something in translation/understanding here but my clarisea is sitting virtually out of the water, just the bottom couple of inches in the water, this is what is recommended by the manufacturer on this filter roller
Yes and that also causes the roll not being advanced as often, leading to less effective mechanical removal.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back