Classic Apex or new wifi model

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had a change in my work schedule which has resulted in me not being around my tank for weeks at a time. On one of my trips my skimmer pump failed and 10 days later I found a tank full of dead sticks. I have begun researching controllers and apex seems to have everything I want. The warning email and fusion features are exactly what I want to monitor my tank while I'm away. I am just wondering if it's worth it to buy the new new WiFi version or hooking the classic up to my Internet which seems to be more of a pain in the neck than I may want to mess with. Any advice or recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently had a change in my work schedule which has resulted in me not being around my tank for weeks at a time. On one of my trips my skimmer pump failed and 10 days later I found a tank full of dead sticks. I have begun researching controllers and apex seems to have everything I want. The warning email and fusion features are exactly what I want to monitor my tank while I'm away. I am just wondering if it's worth it to buy the new new WiFi version or hooking the classic up to my Internet which seems to be more of a pain in the neck than I may want to mess with. Any advice or recommendations are welcome. Thanks.

Are you looking for real facts ? Some people ask but they don't like the answers they get.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really keep your skimmer running for weeks with an apex, you can with an avast marine swabbie hooked to their 5 gallon locker hooked to an apex though.......lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new wifi unit had some software and hardware hiccups when they were first released, and Apex also stood behind the product and has fixed the issues.
The classic, I have been using for less the a year with a couple hiccups with firmware issues. I have My classic hard wired for the reason of up dates. The classic can not be updated via wifi, and also with the classics one has to have the wifi module which adds extra cost.

So in conclusion get the new unit and make sure you order the one with the lab grade probes:)

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't really keep your skimmer running for weeks with an apex, you can with an avast marine swabbie hooked to their 5 gallon locker hooked to an apex though.......lol

Why can't you keep your skimmer running for weeks on an apex? Not sure what you mean? I have mine running for weeks etc to my apex....

I have the "older" version and ran a hardline to it... works perfectly... no pain... no worries if wifi signal were to drop. I absolutely love my apex

OP
OP
Murr7

Murr7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have someone who takes care of my most basic stuff like cleaning out the skimmer cup and refilling the ato, but this person wouldn't know when a pump fails or the powerheads arent working. If I recieve a notification when something that should be running isn't, then I go can about fixing the peoblem.

The new wifi unit had some software and hardware hiccups when they were first released, and Apex also stood behind the product and has fixed the issues.
The classic, I have been using for less the a year with a couple hiccups with firmware issues. I have My classic hard wired for the reason of up dates. The classic can not be updated via wifi, and also with the classics one has to have the wifi module which adds extra cost.

So in conclusion get the new unit and make sure you order the one with the lab grade probes:)

I'm leaning that way. I almost need the built in WiFi because I will have to drill through my drywall ceiling to hardwire it. I also like all the options and the ability to expand as my tank needs expand.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to knock their products out in the open but I can say that initially mine ran very sweetly, I even became very good at writing code ! I had it all set up, lights, doser, pumps, skimmer etc. Then it happened!.......a 10minute power outage caused my display to go blank , then the base refused to connect to the internet, then modules and base stopped communicating ! I think I have experienced alot of the issues I used to read about on their forum. The positive is that they do have EXCELLENT support ...but in my opinion , with a product that IS NOT stable or fully developed they'd better !!! An aquarium controller is a must if you want to truly enjoy your tank/hobby, but a GOOD one is what you need or you would end up like me combing through the forum looking for solutions, opening support tickets, running the tank on manual and eventually ditching the system. Take your time consider all the options and don't be swayed by the "APEX followers" without doing your research.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of the reason for suggesting the new Apex for the wifi and easier install;) and looks to take up less space. The nice thing also is I have my sump remote and I used the long aquabus connectors to connect the unit out with two powers on my board and one power bar in my DT.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to knock their products out in the open but I can say that initially mine ran very sweetly, I even became very good at writing code ! I had it all set up, lights, doser, pumps, skimmer etc. Then it happened!.......a 10minute power outage caused my display to go blank , then the base refused to connect to the internet, then modules and base stopped communicating ! I think I have experienced alot of the issues I used to read about on their forum. The positive is that they do have EXCELLENT support ...but in my opinion , with a product that IS NOT stable or fully developed they'd better !!! An aquarium controller is a must if you want to truly enjoy your tank/hobby, but a GOOD one is what you need or you would end up like me combing through the forum looking for solutions, opening support tickets, running the tank on manual and eventually ditching the system. Take your time consider all the options and don't be swayed by the "APEX followers" without doing your research.
Is this the new one?

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange of course it's only mine but the only problem I have had with my classic was the display I accidentally cut the wire on one and got the other wet. But no other issues at all

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange of course it's only mine but the only problem I have had with my classic was the display I accidentally cut the wire on one and got the other wet. But no other issues at all

You sir are a lucky guy ! If you haven't I'd start playing the lotto [emoji844][emoji23]

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why can't you keep your skimmer running for weeks on an apex? Not sure what you mean? I have mine running for weeks etc to my apex....

I have the "older" version and ran a hardline to it... works perfectly... no pain... no worries if wifi signal were to drop. I absolutely love my apex
He said he was out of town for weeks at a time...

Thus, you can't keep a skimmer running for weeks at a time without being home...because there will be no one there to empty the collection cup.

With a swabbie and a locker..i can go 3+ wks at a time without servicing my skimmer at all...i could go even longer if i had the 5 gallon version of the locker.

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I recieve a notification when something that should be running isn't, then I go can about fixing the peoblem.

An apex wouldn't really be able to inform you that a skimmer pump had failed.

I am considering installing a camera inside my stand just so i can monitor things like skimmer function, ato function, etc from remote locations.

Thats used in conjunction with an apex could prove invaluable.

Last edited:

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An apex wouldn't really be able to inform you that a skimmer pump had failed.

I am considering installing a camera inside my stand just so i can monitor things like skimmer function, ato function, etc from remote locations.

Thats used in conjunction with an aoex could prove invaluable.

IIRC the new Apex Controller has individual outlet power monitoring.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sir are a lucky guy ! If you haven't I'd start playing the lotto [emoji844][emoji23]
Lightening hit mine once...i have since installed an improved surge protection and an unimterrupable power supply on mine.....and i got the original fixed by neptune for $75.00...so i have a backup ready to go in case it ever happens again.

I do firmware updates by grabbing a cheap 100ft ethernet cable ($10.00 on amazon) and just running it over to the router in my. living room...takes 5 min to connect .

No other issues..4 years and counting.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back