Classic Apex or new wifi model

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC the new Apex Controller has individual outlet power monitoring.
Would a pump failure register as an alarm??? Nice!!!!

Im looking forward to installing the flow monitors on both my returns....which will at least tell me when the mains stop.

You can monitor the sump levels and trigger alarms with float switches hooked to a break out box....Also looking forward to switching from those to the newer fluid mgt models in my system

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same cable, the blue one!No problems with firmware updates although I still think it's still too user intensive. In my opinion the overall, stability , dependability and quality is just not there. For instance the way the base unit is laid out......when mounted flat, getting the locking cables out is a real pain! Eventually my Ethernet cable started to get loose and would move about when touched(by accident) which eventually led to connection issues. More thought should have gone into designing the system also why couldn't they include a battery somewhere in the system to solve the "power outage issue" especially when the know what happens to their system when this occurs? everytime power goes out I had to reset a couple times to get the display and internet connection back ! I mean , really ? after paying $500 + for the system ?

Last edited:

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my apex for about a year and a half. I've never had to reset anything, when the power comes back on, everything returns to normal without interference from me. The apex does have a jack for a 12v power supply if you wanted to use it.

Mark_D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he was out of town for weeks at a time...

Thus, you can't keep a skimmer running for weeks at a time without being home...because there will be no one there to empty the collection cup.

With a swabbie and a locker..i can go 3+ wks at a time without servicing my skimmer at all...i could go even longer if i had the 5 gallon version of the locker.

Not difficult to mod the cup to drain to another larger bucket etc... Problem solved!

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my apex for about a year and a half. I've never had to reset anything, when the power comes back on, everything returns to normal without interference from me. The apex does have a jack for a 12v power supply if you wanted to use it.

I had the power supply, it does not do anything unless it is plugged into a UPS! Hence why I think they should have a battery back up . I have 2 gyres and 2 vectra L1 pumps with battery back up, why shouldn't the "brain" have a battery back up too , especially when it's known to have issue when power is cycled.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the power supply, it does not do anything unless it is plugged into a UPS! Hence why I think they should have a battery back up . I have 2 gyres and 2 vectra L1 pumps with battery back up, why shouldn't the "brain" have a battery back up too , especially when it's known to have issue when power is cycled.

The 12v port is dc....it's to plug a battery or ups supply into. If you plug a wall converter into it, yes, you would lose that supply as well. I think the point of the 12v port *is* to power it from a battery if you want backup if the power fails, much like your battery backup for your pumps...couldn't you just supply the 12v jack from the same batteries you use as backup for your pumps?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 12v port is dc....it's to plug a battery or ups supply into. If you plug a wall converter into it, yes, you would lose that supply as well. I think the point of the 12v port *is* to power it from a battery if you want backup if the power fails, much like your battery backup for your pumps...couldn't you just supply the 12v jack from the same batteries you use as backup for your pumps?
I have mine hooked to a battery backup in this manner. Mostly to prevent damage to the system but also with two EB8s you can actually program it to be somewhat self aware when the power is off and take certain actions preventatively.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I am aware of its intended use , you have to get a computer UPS to be able to use it with the power monitoring feature , but what I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice to have a Neptune Battery backup system specifically designed for it ? The WAV pumps should have one , the new COR pumps should have one too , just like my Gyres and Vectras instead of me having to go without or go searching for something compatible.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would an idea for new product line for Neptune

but what I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice to have a Neptune Battery backup system specifically designed for it ? The WAV pumps should have one , the new COR pumps should have one too , just like my Gyres and Vectras

Any UPS, I mean you close your eyes and pull one off the shelf and that UPS would be comparable with the EB8 :); Maybe that is why they have not started selling the UPS with the Neptune label
instead of me having to go without or go searching for something compatible.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would an idea for new product line for Neptune

Any UPS, I mean you close your eyes and pull one off the shelf and that UPS would be comparable with the EB8 :); Maybe that is why they have not started selling the UPS with the Neptune label

Because the back up is designed to work with the pumps there are many selectable modes available , if u plug your EB8 into the UPS everything plugged into it will continue to run and reduce the run time ,which is a poor setup/design . It is better than nothing but could be a lot better.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I disagree there. You have the programming capability with the apex. I program the apex to shut most of everything down and only leave the pump(s) up and running when the power from the outlet is cut off ....
The EB8 does consumes power ... about 1watt by itself. That is affordable.

if u plug your EB8 into the UPS everything plugged into it will continue to run and reduce the run time ,which is a poor setup/design . It is better than nothing but could be a lot better.

jjstecchino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the classic since it came out. Mine is probably one of the first 100 units and never had a problem with it. If your need is to monitor every pump in your tank, you need the new version. The old version gives you the total amps used by the energy bar. The new can measure amps for every single outlet, so if the amp usage is out of the ordinary for a given outlet, thats a hint you may be having a problem. If you have a good router with solid signal, reasonably close t your apex, wifi is probably as good as a connection as wired. If your wifi connection is flakey and intermittent to begin with, that's a different story and you need to fix that rather than going the route of wired vs wireless diatribe. I found the apex to be a very reliable, versatile and useful controller that served me well for the past 8 years and is still going strong.

jjstecchino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am aware of its intended use , you have to get a computer UPS to be able to use it with the power monitoring feature , but what I'm saying is wouldn't it be nice to have a Neptune Battery backup system specifically designed for it ? The WAV pumps should have one , the new COR pumps should have one too , just like my Gyres and Vectras instead of me having to go without or go searching for something compatible.

A battery is a battery, as far as it says 12v, it is compatible. That aside the bigger it is (more mAh) the longer it is going to last. If you prefer to pay twice as much or more just to have the manufacturer logo on it, go right ahead. Also the apex power monitoring feature is hardly usable as in case of a power outage your router and internet will go down as well. A ups, unless data center sized, will not be able to keep heaters, powerbeads etc on for too long. I am personally ok on having my apex, lights, powerheads and everything else off during an outage, but as you did I put my money on battery backed up return pumps.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are u aware that the WAV pumps are 24 volt ? Just like the Vectra which requires 24v , a battery is not a battery.obviously you have limited what you want to what is available to you , please don't try to suggest it's better because it's not.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Vectra pumps use 36V. And the Wav needs to be connected to an apex or it will be ugly.....This is why I said use an UPS....it works.....

Are u aware that the WAV pumps are 24 volt ? Just like the Vectra which requires 24v , a battery is not a battery.obviously you have limited what you want to what is available to you , please don't try to suggest it's better because it's not.

jaws789832

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the classic for over 5 years now and it has worked flawlessly, through power outages, switching to solar, and any other silly thing I have thrown at it. That being said if I had to get another one right now I would probably buy the new one. The wifi is irrelevant to me as I got tired of running a wire to do firmware updates and finally hardwired the thing, but the other upgrades would be worth it, especially the single outlet power monitoring. Plus I am betting in the future at some point they will stop supporting the classic ( kinda like any other technology, think cell phones). Might as well get the newest and have the support for the longer time. Just my 2 cents though

ultimatemj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lightening hit mine once...i have since installed an improved surge protection and an unimterrupable power supply on mine.....and i got the original fixed by neptune for $75.00...so i have a backup ready to go in case it ever happens again.

I do firmware updates by grabbing a cheap 100ft ethernet cable ($10.00 on amazon) and just running it over to the router in my. living room...takes 5 min to connect .

No other issues..4 years and counting.

Same here, but it was a power outage and they charged me $150 :(

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back