Classic Apex or new wifi model

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because the back up is designed to work with the pumps there are many selectable modes available , if u plug your EB8 into the UPS everything plugged into it will continue to run and reduce the run time ,which is a poor setup/design . It is better than nothing but could be a lot better.
Now thats incorrect.

You can program it to only run a wav. (Bit i dont bother as getting some power to the main pump is more important)

Its east to do with a "if eb8 powerfail" (not the exact syntax but you get the idea)

Edit here is the code:

Mainpump1
If Power EB8_4 Off 000 Then OFF
If Outlet Pwrfail3 = ON Then ON

Here is the virtual outlet "Pwrfail3"
Fallback OFF
If Power EB8_4 Off 999 Then ON
OSC 030:00/010:00/000:00 Then ON
If Power EB8_4 On 002 Then OFF

Last edited:

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A battery is a battery, as far as it says 12v, it is compatible. That aside the bigger it is (more mAh) the longer it is going to last. If you prefer to pay twice as much or more just to have the manufacturer logo on it, go right ahead. Also the apex power monitoring feature is hardly usable as in case of a power outage your router and internet will go down as well. A ups, unless data center sized, will not be able to keep heaters, powerbeads etc on for too long. I am personally ok on having my apex, lights, powerheads and everything else off during an outage, but as you did I put my money on battery backed up return pumps.
Not true.

99% of the time when power is out...your internet still works.

The fix is easy..you need a UPS on your apex...AND a UPS on your modem/router.

And Voila...you can still communicate with the system during a power outage.

If you look my code above..you will see running my return pump intermittently is exactly what my apex backup will do also...

To get the most out of the battery, it waits abput 17 hours and then runs for 10 minutes then off 30 minutes (basically, it will run the main for 20 minutes every hour after being off for a little over half a day). My main pump is low watts and my ups is large...i can get about 4 or 5 days of circulation like this.

I have the 36hour vortech back up on my MP40 and an icecap battery hooked to a jaebo as well. (By then i should be able to add a whole series of battery operated bubblers i keep in the cabinet next to tank)

Heaters... ..are out of the questio n for any back up battery.

Thats why we have propane gas logs and a gas powered generator.

Last edited:

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing my point , In the event of a power outage having the controller or the internet connect isn't really a necessity that's what the FALLBACK statements are for .What i'm saying is that for the issues experienced when power is lost there should be a proper solution, unless solutions are found for the display module "blue screen" issue or the controllers inability to re-connect when power is restored without multiple reboots the product should be AVOIDED .A UPS could assist in deffering the issues if power is restored before it discharges , but if power isn't returned then you would be in the same position ! stuck fixing an incompletely developed system whilst someone else is enjoying your hard earned money. Alot of people have posted that they have not had a problem for XX amount of years and thats great , but what about the others (majority) who have had theirs for less than a year and have experienced all the problems discussed on their forum ? I am only speaking about what I've experienced first hand and because of this, if I had to do it again I would NOT purchase the APEX ! I would avoid wasting time , energy , money and frustration ......save a little more and buy abetter system like a PROFILUX.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are missing my point , In the event of a power outage having the controller or the internet connect isn't really a necessity that's what the FALLBACK statements are for .What i'm saying is that for the issues experienced when power is lost there should be a proper solution, unless solutions are found for the display module "blue screen" issue or the controllers inability to re-connect when power is restored without multiple reboots the product should be AVOIDED .A UPS could assist in deffering the issues if power is restored before it discharges , but if power isn't returned then you would be in the same position ! stuck fixing an incompletely developed system whilst someone else is enjoying your hard earned money. Alot of people have posted that they have not had a problem for XX amount of years and thats great , but what about the others (majority) who have had theirs for less than a year and have experienced all the problems discussed on their forum ? I am only speaking about what I've experienced first hand and because of this, if I had to do it again I would NOT purchase the APEX ! I would avoid wasting time , energy , money and frustration ......save a little more and buy abetter system like a PROFILUX.
3 years straight.

I have power outages all the time (at least one a month).

Not a single controller blue screen or main box failure to reboot.

My ups is preventative but i never had those issues before i added it

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dumaurier7, I hear your frustration and it is hard for me to really understand/feel your pain without going through what you did. I saw your posts (maybe too late) on the Neptune forum before you shut the whole apex down and switched. I am glad you are happy with the PROFILUX because you finally found what you are looking for. The apex is not for every one I guess.

Moreover, I have heard similar complaints about the apex stops working after an power outage and I believe you that issue is real. However, I also think a power spike, which does not happen with every power glitch, can screw up the apex...Having a UPS has been protecting me all these years....and I think Neptune should not be the blame for this power spike. And you watch my words, if you don't put a protection before the profilux, similar problem will happen with it too.....

And last but not least, single individual testimony is worthless and pointless. Just because you have not seen it, it does not mean it does not exist :) (@Newb73 )

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dumaurier7, I hear your frustration and it is hard for me to really understand/feel your pain without going through what you did. I saw your posts (maybe too late) on the Neptune forum before you shut the whole apex down and switched. I am glad you are happy with the PROFILUX because you finally found what you are looking for. The apex is not for every one I guess.

Moreover, I have heard similar complaints about the apex stops working after an power outage and I believe you that issue is real. However, I also think a power spike, which does not happen with every power glitch, can screw up the apex...Having a UPS has been protecting me all these years....and I think Neptune should not be the blame for this power spike. And you watch my words, if you don't put a protection before the profilux, similar problem will happen with it too.....

And last but not least, single individual testimony is worthless and pointless. Just because you have not seen it, it does not mean it does not exist :) (@Newb73 )

But not seeing it on two different addresses on two different power grids, both with multiple power outages does lend credibility to the argument: "an apex does not fail EVERY TIME" there is a power outage!!!

Of note: I actually did get an apex that got fried during a thumder storm (i noted it earlier in this thread).

I agree that any thing with a circuit board is vulnerable, the apex appears to have been more vulnerable than my tv or pc which were also running during that storm (without issue).

It was aggravating, but i did not declare the product junk and blame Neptune systems for a power surge.

glavaron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a wifi controller for normal connectivity. You can download updates to your laptop and update at the controller. I do not recommend updating over the wifi though.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back