Clean Up Crew

Raineforrest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on cycling a 48 gallon bow front next month. From what I am understanding, one of the first things people add to their new tank after cycling is a clean up crew. How many members of the crew should I add? I don't want to starve them. And what would be the best CUC to add if I'm planning on doing a reef tank?

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For your tank I think 20-30 snails and 10-20 hermits should be good. Snails to consider: Cerith, Astrea, Trochus, Nassarius, maybe a couple Turbos. Hermits: scarlet reef and blue legged hermits. Maybe start with half and add more as your tank cycles through the ugly stages

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all going to be personal preference. For snails I go for trochus and nassarius snails. Nassarius are great for sandbed. Trochus clean my glass and eat my GHA off rocks. Both can self right themselves which is the biggest reason I go for them. I do have some turbo's that I have to flip over every so often.

Scarlet/blue legged hermit crabs. Some people don't like them and others do. I've never had an issue and they like to target the algae off my corals first.

As for how many you need to add. Its about adding over time. If you don't have any algae. You will need to supplement their diet. Overtime add more if you need to control your algae.

If its a pretty clean tank still maybe 2 trochus, 2 nassarius snails and 1 or 2 hermit crabs. Then feed to supplement.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astrae and margarita snails you will have to help them stand back up. Keep some algae wafers and add sinking pellets to keep up with food source. Nassarius are so fun to watch when food hits the water.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 28 34.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back