Clown Fish Fighting

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 33 gallon display tank, currently holds two clowns, one slightly larger than the other. (Also a baby Hippo tang and a six line). The two clowns have been in the tank for three months. They did fine, and the smaller one submitted to the slightly larger one. Added the Tang, and he fit right in. Then a couple of weeks ago, the six line. They were doing fine, but then last night the clowns began to challenge each other and eventually turned into outright fighting. It appears the smaller one, who was originally the submissive one, began to be the instigator, and this morning he was relentlessly spearheading into the larger one. I put in an isolation box and put the larger (female I thought) into the box to establish peace and safety. Any idea what's going on, and how to handle? Do clowns re-establish dominance at some point after a few months?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

You could try putting the aggressor in an acclimation box for a couple weeks. I will say that you have 4 aggressive fish in a tank that's too small for half of them though. This might be a losing battle in the long run. May also want to set up a video while you're not in the room. Fish will usually behave when watched and there may be other issues.

OP
OP
J

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the tang was put in with the agreement with my LFS that he would be swapped out as it grew. It is only about an inch at the moment.

OP
OP
J

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5627 (1).jpg

OP
OP
J

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its two months old. Thought I had an Ick issue, so stopped adding fish and corals to clear up. Starting a coral QT now and will add corals this summer.

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its two months old. Thought I had an Ick issue, so stopped adding fish and corals to clear up. Starting a coral QT now and will add corals this summer.
can we get a clearer picture with white light plz so we can see the fish

sorrryyyyy

just wanna see if the tank is overcrowded or not, cuz that could cause it

Last edited:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the best way pair clowns is to get a single one and grow it out for a year or so then add a very small one. Just because one is bigger doesn't always mean it has transitioned to female.
I love my six lines for pest control but not in small tanks.
I'm not a fan of buying fish to grow out and rehome. Too often it doesn't happen and the fish pays the price. My only advise is to remove one of the clowns. Or let them figure it out and you'll end up with a pair or a single one, that's just how it works.

OP
OP
J

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am new at this, of the four fish, none of them are over an inch and a half in length. There seems to be plenty of space. The clowns and hippo all hang together. The six line does it's own thing, but will join the group every now and then. Its been very peaceful just up until last night. The six line was added just shy of 2 weeks ago, and maybe that is the dynamic that changed the energy of the tank. I kknow the hippo has to go. Any suggestions for a peaceful replacement? Blenny or a shrimp goby and pistol shrimp is what I was considering.

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
w
oweeeeee
thats a nice ahh tank
and at a workplace too!
I have had the same problems with black and orange clowns
fun fact! clowns are racist! ik they are already "acclimated" to each other. but it is a good thing to keep him in that little acclamation box for smell, tomorrow, take them out for 30 minutes, if they keep fighting, put him back in there, keep doing that until they stop fighting. if they are fighting, keep them in there for 30 minutes(the tank, not the acclimation box), other fun fact! they are probably trying to find out who should be the male and the female! look for fin damage.
AND
once that tang gets big, go to your lfs and trade him for a smaller one :D
hope this helps!

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I am new at this, of the four fish, none of them are over an inch and a half in length. There seems to be plenty of space. The clowns and hippo all hang together. The six line does it's own thing, but will join the group every now and then. Its been very peaceful just up until last night. The six line was added just shy of 2 weeks ago, and maybe that is the dynamic that changed the energy of the tank. I kknow the hippo has to go. Any suggestions for a peaceful replacement? Blenny or a shrimp goby and pistol shrimp is what I was considering.
the hippo does not have to go until u think its too big, the six line is a great addition to the tank, keep it :D

OP
OP
J

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....this morning, after 24 hours in the isolation box (I put the one being bullied, not the instigator in isolation) back out in general population and the two clowns immediately went after each other. So this time I put the one initiating the fights in the box. I think I will bring this clown home to my QT tank. The 33 gallon is in my office. So odd after they appeared to bond a few months ago, and have been in the tank together since day one. I have a Waterbox 20 gallon AIO coming in a couple of weeks, and I guess this clown will be my first fish in that one. I was planning this small tank to be just corals and one six line for pests. Does anyone know if this 20 can have a clown and six line, with corals?

OP
OP
J

John-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They most likely were not bonded but both male and just got along for that reason. Now one or both wants to become female. It's just how it works with clowns.
I thought one did submit, as it was doing that seizure type move after their first couple of weeks together. But now the one that submitted (or so I thought) is the attacker. Any advice people? Take the aggressor out for my other tank, or give them time to try and choose the female?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you seperate them you have to keep in mind they will both then transition to female. Just something to consider. Personally I have a hard time watching them fight for dominance it's the reason I only add one first as I described above. Really it's up to you but I only see two options, let them fight it out or seperate them. I had two fight to the death years ago it's why I started adding one and waiting. They were maroons tho and are more aggressive than percs and ocellaris. This has just been my experience. I am far from an expert.

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....this morning, after 24 hours in the isolation box (I put the one being bullied, not the instigator in isolation) back out in general population and the two clowns immediately went after each other. So this time I put the one initiating the fights in the box. I think I will bring this clown home to my QT tank. The 33 gallon is in my office. So odd after they appeared to bond a few months ago, and have been in the tank together since day one. I have a Waterbox 20 gallon AIO coming in a couple of weeks, and I guess this clown will be my first fish in that one. I was planning this small tank to be just corals and one six line for pests. Does anyone know if this 20 can have a clown and six line, with corals?
yes it can, get a normal colored clown for the office, they will be fine(or the same colored clown)
trust me

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 143 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back