clown fish

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion that ph is really low and the fish can act Jurassically different based off the ph it should be at 8.2-8.4 not 7.4-7.6

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large a system do you have? I read back but could not find a size? Asking because if a 100% water change is possible, do it. Make sure the salt you mix is quality reef salt so the pH will be right. Hanna makes a new pH probe with temp and it is relatively cheap and accurate. I got the chance to use and get one in Chicago at the Aquatics show. I think they are $45. They are also waterproof.

After the water change, add some bacteria back in with the bottled stuff (Dr. Tims, Prodibio) are the ones I have used. Good luck. I am sorry these guys are struggling, but you do have a young tank there. Keep your spirits up. Patience and Research are key.

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion that ph is really low and the fish can act Jurassically different based off the ph it should be at 8.2-8.4 not 7.4-7.6
I'm trying to increase the ph now. But I'm afraid it will be too late... They look really bad it is so sad. And it seems that they don't breath so well :(

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they aren't breathing well it's bc of the low ph see how they do good luck man

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large a system do you have? I read back but could not find a size? Asking because if a 100% water change is possible, do it. Make sure the salt you mix is quality reef salt so the pH will be right. Hanna makes a new pH probe with temp and it is relatively cheap and accurate. I got the chance to use and get one in Chicago at the Aquatics show. I think they are $45. They are also waterproof.

After the water change, add some bacteria back in with the bottled stuff (Dr. Tims, Prodibio) are the ones I have used. Good luck. I am sorry these guys are struggling, but you do have a young tank there. Keep your spirits up. Patience and Research are key.
Thanks for the help. My aquarium is 180l... and unfortunately I am also sick now and won't manage to change the water 100percent. I might have enough just for 10% change. But I really hope the ph will increase and hope they will feel better... I also try to give them vitamines now... But it seems they do not want to eat with the vitamines on the top of the flakes...

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything to double check that pH? I cannot believe it is really that low and you may do more damage than good. Sorry you are under the weather. Take care. Sometimes we just cannot do everything.

ReefJake123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point I was just thinking about that bc that is way to low for corals to survive they are sensitive to ph and your corals looked fine

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have anything to double check that pH? I cannot believe it is really that low and you may do more damage than good. Sorry you are under the weather. Take care. Sometimes we just cannot do everything.
I just did a check now again It is always 7,6. :( I do not know how I could better control it, I just have this kit

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I will try to do my best that I can see them swimming happily again. I keep you updated

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit? Also what salt do you use? I cannot believe any salt mix would be that low. Mix a batch and then check it with your kit. If it comes out low like that again, it is a bad kit for reading.

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your oxygen is low. Add an air pump and stone and see if he goes near it.
I tried to increase the skimmer
What test kit? Also what salt do you use? I cannot believe any salt mix would be that low. Mix a batch and then check it with your kit. If it comes out low like that again, it is a bad kit for reading.
Unfortunatly I do not know which salt mix I have, They gave me at the begining at the store where I bought the aquarium. Actually I am quite desapointed with this store, I am not sure I will ever go back there. I wanted to buy salt and told me that for the moment I do not need some. Maybe I will have to see by my own in another shop. I think it is weird, how they want me to be dependent on them. I also wanted to buy test, to do myself my own control and they didn't want to give me anything. So I had to buy it in another way.
I have a JBL Marine test. Not sure if it is good enought but I am living in germany and it is the main thing I have found.

I also checked the water they provide me without salt, the pH is less than 7.4, lookslike pretty yellow, so I would say around 7-7,2. with the mix of salt they gave me (I have 7,4). I am really annoid now to see how unprofessional they are, since already at the begining they gave me the wrong dosage of salt and I had to change the water by half to finally get the good concentration. And instead of telling me that the amount of salt was really to high, they just told me. it's a little bit too much salt...

This is problably why I am coming with all my stupid question, because I feel I really have no support where I am, and I think I really need help to get the thing in the right place. And I am really happy that you are all helping me

Coolbreeze69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to increase the skimmer

Unfortunatly I do not know which salt mix I have, They gave me at the begining at the store where I bought the aquarium. Actually I am quite desapointed with this store, I am not sure I will ever go back there. I wanted to buy salt and told me that for the moment I do not need some. Maybe I will have to see by my own in another shop. I think it is weird, how they want me to be dependent on them. I also wanted to buy test, to do myself my own control and they didn't want to give me anything. So I had to buy it in another way.
I have a JBL Marine test. Not sure if it is good enought but I am living in germany and it is the main thing I have found.

I also checked the water they provide me without salt, the pH is less than 7.4, lookslike pretty yellow, so I would say around 7-7,2. with the mix of salt they gave me (I have 7,4). I am really annoid now to see how unprofessional they are, since already at the begining they gave me the wrong dosage of salt and I had to change the water by half to finally get the good concentration. And instead of telling me that the amount of salt was really to high, they just told me. it's a little bit too much salt...

This is problably why I am coming with all my stupid question, because I feel I really have no support where I am, and I think I really need help to get the thing in the right place. And I am really happy that you are all helping me

If this is a bacterial bloom which caused low oxygen the skimmer is not enough.

Coolbreeze69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure of your question. A new tank is building it’s bacteria. Adding new fish and feeding twice a day can cause the bacteria to over react. Always wise to start slow, add slow and make changes slowly until the bacteria has been established

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry you are having a hard time with the store. Sometimes they do want you to be dependent on them. Where in Germany? Anyway, you want to get some of your own salt and be mixing it yourself. Can you get online stuff easily? If so, get yourself a refractometer too. This measures the specific gravity of your mixed salt. I keep all my tanks at 1.025. Also, if you can get filtered water that is RO/DI that is best to use to mix the salt. If some of this does not make sense, let me know.

Definitely add some air to that tank. Aim a powerhead at the surface, add airstone, protein skimmer. If truly a bacterial bloom, add airstones!

Most things like what you have can be done with large water changes. Of course, you need proper salt mix and salinity levels and lots of water.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back