clown fish

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

Is it normal that sometimes one of my clown fish stays close to the ground a bit on the side? Is it sick or lacking of something? usually it seems better when I provide food but today also the food was not directly eaten.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here the picture of my clown fish on the ground...
I hope you can help me to solve this problem
Thanks in advance

View attachment 20171203_112456_1512296798291.jpg
Hi Khalisee
The clown does not look quite right but you’ll need to provide some more info and hopefully a better picture/closeup of the the fish.
Is he in your display or a QT?
How long has he been there?
How long have you had him?
Has he been treated with any medications?
Do you have tank parameters you can share?
Other fish?
Hopefully one of our more experienced folks will jump in.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like could be a new set up. Was he qt'ed or treated for anything? How long have you had him? He does look off. Any spots or rough looking slime coat? Bloated or heavy breathing? I think he needs treatment, but not sure what for yet. Need more info and possibly pics.

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very similar problem with a very similar pair of clown fish. What do you use to measure your salinity? Do you know you salinity. My pair of photon clowns died because of my faulty hydrometer and I had them for 2 months!!!!

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your help,
My tank is quite new, about a month and I got the 2 clown fish last week. One of them started to get lazy and stayed on the ground, a bi ton the side. But then looked better and suddenly down again. Today I saw him close to the filter and I thought that he was dead :( but when I opened my aquarium I still saw him moving. I tried to give him food but he didn't eat anything. and now couple of h later it seems ok again. I really do not understand this behaviour and what I should do. My clown fish is still in the tank since I do not have an appropriate QT running.

In my tank, i just have these 2 clown fish, 2 cleaner shrimps, hermits and snails. One violet algae that I am not sure about the name (maybe chondrus crispus) and a briareum neon.

The parameter from the water looks fine but I just have few of them. Nitrate and nitrite are close to 0. GH 16°d. KH between 3°d-6°d. Maybe the pH is a bit low around 6.6. Cl2 0. For the salinity I use also an hydrometer and salinity is at 1.023.
It seems also that he starts moving when I coming close to the aquarium. Here the pictures that I did now. But I do not see any particular symptom...

I didn't treated them with anything yet since I do not know what can be the problem :( and I didn't observe a weird breathing
I hope you will be able to help me... Let me know if I could give you more information
20171204_160216.jpg
20171204_160241_014.jpg
20171204_160801_004.jpg
20171204_160801_022.jpg
20171204_160928_002.jpg
20171204_161021_002.jpg

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171204_171159_005.jpg

Here again in the corner right down on the floor. When I approach more he goes away so I cannot do a better picture

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you confirmed ammonia levels? pH and hardness seem low, but depends on if you have had any changes recently or whether the set-up has been the same.

Any recent water changes or treatments / additives to tank?

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put a bit water because the level was too low... and i change the water 10 days ago

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have nothing to check ammonia levels :(

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have nothing to check ammonia levels :(
Did you cycle the tank? I would start there with the ammonia question above. You really need to get a test - especially on a new tank like yours. If it’s not possible ASAP then do a significant water change to help rule ammonia in/out. It could very well be Disease. You will need QT setup. Either of these require fast action.
One more question - are you using tap water for tank? If so, are you using a declorinator?

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water was tested from the store where I bought it before to put any animals or fish. I guess they tested for the right things. I brought water again the day I bought the fish and they told me the water was ready for the fish... But I do not know what they exactly tested... Also since they didn't want me to have my personal test I bought some in internet because I would like to act fast in this kind of situation. I was not expecting a pb so fast and the kit didn't arrive yet.

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good step. Early in the addition of animals is the trickiest time for ammonia as the bioload can change quickly and the bacteria may not be able to keep up. That could mean that the water tested good -- but once fish are in and being fed, the levels of ammonia can start to build. As well, it might not be ammonia, but certainly want to know given what you are experiencing. Best of luck and keep us updated

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am really disapointed I went to different shop this morning and such deception they just looked on the nitrite levels again :( but when I came back I saw that my complete kit arrived, so I will check again on all the parameters and keep you updated.
Thanks a lot for the support and hopefully I will find the problem :)

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here we go... The water results:
Temperature: 25°C
KH: 8°dKH
pH: 7,4 and 7,6
NH4: ~0
NO2: ~0
Cu: ~0
O2: 4-6mg/l
NO3: ~0
PO4: ~0
SiO4: ~0
Ca: 420mg/ml
Mg: 1500mg/ml
salt: 1,023

So my pH is too low ans also my O2. Shall I change the water to solve the pb of the pH? and increase the skimmer?
Or do you have better suggestion?
Thanks a lot for the help

OP
OP
khalisee

khalisee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My second clown fish start to behave the same... :( It is so sad to see
I do not know what I should do now... I should really do something fast. But I habe not enough knowledge to act :(

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back