Clownfish Ich / Brooklyn + missing royal gramma??? W/ photos

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my black and white clowns a little over a year, along with a royal gramma.

it’s been a little hot in UK, tank temp 25c has fluctuated 0.5-1.5c most days for a week or so

Around 6 weeks ago I changed my aquascape with dry rocks and doses bacteria, this went fine.

Around 3 weeks ago I left on holiday for 1 week with my tank in my brothers hands. ATO was broken so he had to manually top/check salinity.

Unfortunately he left it slightly high at 1.028 for the week. The gramma had completely vanished. I am not sure if this was the cause for its disappearance, possibly it’s death although I also think this may be down to too much direct sunlight. I pulled every rock out, checked every crevice- it was gone.
I watched tank parameters closely as soon as I got back and back to regular water changes.

There was no spike in any parameters (ammonia, nitrates). I accepted my loss and continued blaming the mystery on the hermits crabs. Tanks been fine ever since. Coraline algae is growing quick on crab shells and walls.

Obviously marks have appeared today, and It would be a hard blow to lose the clowns too. Mainly on one side of body, so I am even crossing my fingers to the small possibility of some mucus from a scratch.

This is only the female, the male has some marks but they are too small to photograph.

C3686A34-D4A2-4535-95F7-342E48E6644B.jpeg
7D677A7C-CF1B-4E22-A9F4-AF5D7769E0EB.jpeg
6DB1B649-A3FC-4E8E-9FCE-C7126947D367.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

it’s been a little hot in UK, tank temp 25c has fluctuated 0.5-1.5c most days for a week or so

Around 6 weeks ago I changed my aquascape with dry rocks and doses bacteria, this went fine.

Around 3 weeks ago I left on holiday for 1 week with my tank in my brothers hands. ATO was broken so he had to manually top/check salinity.

Unfortunately he left it slightly high at 1.028 for the week. The gramma had completely vanished. I am not sure if this was the cause for its disappearance, possibly it’s death although I also think this may be down to too much direct sunlight. I pulled every rock out, checked every crevice- it was gone.
I watched tank parameters closely as soon as I got back and back to regular water changes.

There was no spike in any parameters (ammonia, nitrates). I accepted my loss and continued blaming the mystery on the hermits crabs. Tanks been fine ever since. Coraline algae is growing quick on crab shells and walls.

Obviously marks have appeared today, and It would be a hard blow to lose the clowns too. Mainly on one side of body, so I am even crossing my fingers to the small possibility of some mucus from a scratch.

This is only the female, the male has some marks but they are too small to photograph.

Sorry to hear of experience
With gramma, they are notorious jumpers and hiders but also delicate and depending how high salinity and temperature got, low oxygen may have gotten the best of him
On the clown, my first impression is flukes but I’m leaning towards brooklynella.
To offer clown temporary relief from either…….. IF it’s Not breathing heavily, you can give it a 5 minute freshwater dip in tap water which prolongs time also to confirm what clown has
Return fish to display thereafter and look on bottom of container used for dip for what looks like fish scales or sesame seeds. If you can see that- flukes
For flukes, treatment is praziquantel (prazi pro) and brook is formalin based medication
Being in Europe, I recognize challenges with medication

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While that does look like it could be the start of Brooklynella, having had the fish for a year tends to lead me away from that diagnosis, unless you added some animals to the tank more recently?

Agree w/ @vetteguy53081 the gramma could have jumped, or it could have died and decomposed. That episode might be related to the clownfish lesions, but perhaps not.

I would consider watching the clowns for another 24 to 48 hours to see if the symptoms worsen, or if new symptoms develop.

Jay

OP
OP
Nanolifeuk

Nanolifeuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks peoples. I have a dd jumpguard so it most likely decomposed/ was eaten by the cuc quickly. I’ve always been a bit heavier on feeding (bad habit) so im not suprised the nitrates didn’t budge much if any in that week.

I’m gonna wait until tomorrow, 50% water change. see how fish are doing then may fresh water dip with rodi. They are acting fine and I don’t have a quarantine tank or any rx treatment so hope they can ride it out.

upon all else failing I have a really good fish shop local, I can see what similar medication they can sell me.

I hate this side of keeping fish

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back