cold water to kill ich?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my whole setup is spread and separated around in 4 or 5 places due to ich QT. We had 30 hours without power last week and 12 degrees outside, so I had to take some heaters from one fallow tank to keep up on the tanks with livestock. So the water in it measured about 45 at one point. I've seen discussions about high temps killing ich but anyone know about cold tolerance?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my whole setup is spread and separated around in 4 or 5 places due to ich QT. We had 30 hours without power last week and 12 degrees outside, so I had to take some heaters from one fallow tank to keep up on the tanks with livestock. So the water in it measured about 45 at one point. I've seen discussions about high temps killing ich but anyone know about cold tolerance?
Cold will support ich and years ago chilling was blamed on ich onset which I doubt. It lowers metabolism of fish if anything. Higher temops will often shorten the life of ich

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like cold isn't a good way to kill them - I found a paper that makes a related claim

A more recent study demonstrated that two life stages of one strain of Cryptocaryon (trophonts, i.e., the feeding stage during which the parasite can be found on the fish, and tomonts) survived dormant for 4–5 months at 12°C (53.6°F), and, after the water temperature increased to 27°C (80.6°F), developed and infected fish (Dan et al. 2009).

... and the cited reference if you want to dig further...

Dan, X.M., X.T. Lin, Y.X Yan, N. Teng, Z.L. Tan, and A.X. Li. 2009. A technique for the preservation of Cryptocaryon irritans at low temperatures. Aquaculture 297: 112–115.

OP
OP
J

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like cold isn't a good way to kill them - I found a paper that makes a related claim

A more recent study demonstrated that two life stages of one strain of Cryptocaryon (trophonts, i.e., the feeding stage during which the parasite can be found on the fish, and tomonts) survived dormant for 4–5 months at 12°C (53.6°F), and, after the water temperature increased to 27°C (80.6°F), developed and infected fish (Dan et al. 2009).

... and the cited reference if you want to dig further...

Dan, X.M., X.T. Lin, Y.X Yan, N. Teng, Z.L. Tan, and A.X. Li. 2009. A technique for the preservation of Cryptocaryon irritans at low temperatures. Aquaculture 297: 112–115.
Good to know. I better get those heaters going then.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I better get those heaters going then.

Yes - we've had issues with coldwater ich, and the tropical strain just slows down and "hibernates" at cooler temperatures.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back