copperband butterfly fish?

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it reef safe? I can't get a good answer. they are beautiful, so I want one, but will they hurt a reef too bad

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can't get a good answer because the answer is maybe. From what I hear they are kinda like angels in the fact that it is a roll of a dice. Some may never pick at anything and some may go to town on your favorite coral. Whatever you decide, let us know because I would love to own one as well but am steering clear for now.

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well my copperband never bothered anything in the reef,unlike my purple tang that DESTROYED (broke and ate) alot of my sps,zoos and palys.I know this was kinda of a freakish thing but you just never know.So in my opinion no fish is truely "reef safe"
HTH

dbarker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several and they all have been great, none of them ever bothered my corals. I had one that even at small bristle worms, as well as, aptasias. I love them and they add lots of color to the tank, the last one ate mysis shrimp from my hand. Debbie

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish, hard to keep, and variable in their behavior. Feeding them well is part of the secret to keeping them off your corals from what I understand, but no guarantees. Watching my purple tang to make sure it doesn't develop a taste for lps, so I feed em lots everyday and algae snacks.

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yall are making me want one more. I will get one. I am just gonna wait til I have my tanks set up in the new house. is there anything that makes them difficult to keep?

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problems I've had is getting a healthy one seems to be there biggest issue as they dont ship well but other then small tube worms and small reef bugs never seen them eat any coral other then apatasia's in my systems.

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cbb

After three attempts, I can truly say that I have solved the mystery behind owning a CBB.

I have written a couple of pieces on this. Also, how to train one to eat mysis, and frozen foods.

http://blog.fragd.it/?s=copperband

My CBB has doubled in size and is a pig. He eats readily out of my hand, and doesn't bother any coral or clam. The trick: buy one really small. You get to teach it what it can or cannot eat.

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks atomikk. that link helped. I think I will try the prepared foods thing with mine when I get it. I think I will also try feeding it kalurpa

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely quarantine it before anything else. Get it to feed a certain type of food in the QT. Then you will have 100x more success with it, than if you just put it in the tank and hope for the best.

OP
OP
J

jimmybling31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely quarantine it before anything else. Get it to feed a certain type of food in the QT. Then you will have 100x more success with it, than if you just put it in the tank and hope for the best.

would my frag tank work for qt?

barbndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard that the Australian ones fare much better but you pay a premium for them. Our CBB is Indo-Pacific and doing well.

Atomikk

Rare Coral Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. Anything that would isolate the fish from any other fish. But, have a QT ready in case it develops a disease.

barbndave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check liveaquaria.com. About 3X the price. Surprisingly, a friend of mine ordered his Aussie CBB at about the same time I got the Indo Pacific and his perished while mine adopted well. However, I bought 2 before I got a hardy one. I think there is a lot of variability in the survival of these fish but the collection techniques of the Australian ones are much more conducive to their survival. Also, get a small one if possible; they seem to fare better.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back