Copperband

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB was bullied by about every fish in my tank when added, including fish that are normally docile. The aggression didn’t last long before the other fish left him alone in my case.
Now he is one of the least shy fish that I have and now aggressively eats when food is added to the tank. He competes with my tangs for food and holds his own.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They often need to eat worms and pods off of the rocks for a while when moved to a new tank. Do you have a diverse tank with lots of goodies for them to much on? They don't know what mysis is - these are from freshwater lakes. If it goes much longer, you could try some enriched brine shrimp to start. Blackworms can also help if you can find them locally.

These can be really hard fish in new tanks, IME.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard Stripey fish does a great job with aiptasia

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Myy CBB actively hunts Aiptasia. I purposely let them grow in my sump and overflow but never find one in my tank. Have even seen him eying them in the overflow that he can't quite reach. Also loves frozen mysis but wont touch anything else. A

Badboy GP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, bought a copperband from lfs on saturday. He was eating frozen in the store and was nice and plump. Since putting him in my tank he's barely touched a thing. Ive tried frozen mysis and brine and over feeding that to see if thatll help. But its just not interested. Ive just got masstik and tried that but so far not touched. Anyone got any advice or what else i can try. Ive heard frozen or fresh clams from supermarket has anyone tried this ?
I had mine in an acclimation box for 2 weeks, a rock with couple of aptasia(that's why I got him). Feed a mix of mysis and brine, he waited for them to settle under the rock and then started picking on it.
After a few days he got used to the turkey baseder 6 months later 0 aptasia in the tank, he is the greediest guy in the tank.. eats about 10-15 pieces of mysis and brine.. hunting all day.. I do add pods once a month.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of that copperband looking butterfly with less stripes? Those things were way better at eating aiptasia than a regular copperband. I have not seen one in years, though.

Most butterflies CAN eat aiptasia, but most of them don't no matter the species. I have had plenty of copperbands that would not tough aips.

rblackmon89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good success with feeding live littleneck clams. I usually buy 2-3 dozen and freeze them then throw one in the tank once a day or so. At the same time, I put 2 pouch feeders from Two Little Fishies loaded with a combination of Hikari mysis and Reef Frenzy. I put these pouches on opposite ends of the tank. The clam is usually tossed in the middle. I do this to create 3 different feeding "stations"

I believe having multiple points for the CBB to graze is the key to success. Ideally, I would attempt to identify which of these foods the fish prefers and then use that to get the fish eating reliably.

Keep in mind:

1. Heavy feeding will mean you need to pay extra attention to water parameters.
2. Most of my fish all just transferred to eating from the pouches.
3. Once the clams are frozen, they will open up gradually as they thaw underwater.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had problems with copperbands and I find that they live about 10 years before they get some neurological issue. I never quarantine anything and certainly wouldn't quarantine a copperband as they are a little more sensitive than most fish in the beginning. I have been keeping them since the early 70s.

I do feed live whiteworms and clams a couple of times a week. If they were collected with drugs, they may never eat.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks, bought a copperband from lfs on saturday. He was eating frozen in the store and was nice and plump. Since putting him in my tank he's barely touched a thing. Ive tried frozen mysis and brine and over feeding that to see if thatll help. But its just not interested. Ive just got masstik and tried that but so far not touched. Anyone got any advice or what else i can try. Ive heard frozen or fresh clams from supermarket has anyone tried this ?
I’ve had mine now for going on 2 months maybe and like you, it came in looking super healthy but I couldn’t get it to eat. It has been curious and hunting since day one but just seemed to not be interested in what was offered. I couldn’t find live white or black worms. I tried lots of stuff including mastik, mysis, brine, fresh baby brine, love clams and etc. it wasn’t until I got frozen blood worms and immediately after found some frozen angel food. The blood worms got him eating, and fast forward to now, he is in the display and seems to get right into the mix at feeding time with all the other fish.
image.jpg

OP
OP
Scl43

Scl43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah well maybe ill have better luck next time. Tried various things except worms. Tried clams muscles frozen mysis frozen brine shrimp, some blended squi even masstik and it didnt take to any. Clams looked good for a day or 2 then stopped. Just lost him today. Really gutted. 2nd one ive lost now this year so im obviously not cut out for them. Maybe try in a year or so . Thanks for the advice though guys

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may have been collected with drugs as many of them are. It's not your fault.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back