Coral compatibility question

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all and happy Sunday! So I discovered today that for some odd reason, I have a small disco mushroom growing very near my Rasta Zoa’s. I have a red disco, but nowhere near there. Anyway, does this create something to worry about? Can I just leave them both be where they are? Moving either would be a bit of an issue. Will they sting each other, or just learn to live near each other issue free?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my tank, the mushrooms touching anything SPS, LPS - cause the other thing to retract/retreat.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my tank, the mushrooms touching anything SPS, LPS - cause the other thing to retract/retreat.
Gotcha! That’s what I was afraid of. Obviously the mushroom would be the more difficult to move but the Rasta’s are moving down off the frag and onto the live rock, so neither is ideal to move

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them where they are for now and let the Zoa grow.

Once they make contact remove the plug with Rasta and move them to a new location.
Once done, observe the left over zoa and mushrooms to see what happens.

That is what I would do, I like experimenting etc…

From my experience I found orange Yuma and green mushrooms (both I got for free) to be very destructive. They do kill everything in their path. I would not recommend keeping those corals.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave them where they are for now and let the Zoa grow.

Once they make contact remove the plug with Rasta and move them to a new location.
Once done, observe the left over zoa and mushrooms to see what happens.

That is what I would do, I like experimenting etc…

From my experience I found orange Yuma and green mushrooms (both I got for free) to be very destructive. They do kill everything in their path. I would not recommend keeping those corals.
That sounds like good advice, my mushroom is a red disco. So would you just pick up the drag plug , and whatever happens, happens? I worry about ripping them

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is what I would do, in tank fragmentation.
Some Zoas do it on their own, I had few start new colonies on other side of the tank. I suspect one polyp got torn /separated and it found new home.
Since it is Zoa do wear gloves just in case they release palytoxins.
You can cut around the plug to make it easier to remove.

I do this sometimes to create second colony of Zoas in the tank. So far it worked. Also I don’t glue the original plug or just use drop of glue so it is easier to remove later.

As I mentioned I like to experiment:
1714343853961.jpeg

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

Zoas can be temperamental, one day all happy and next week or month they close up and melt away. So don’t be surprised if they act up.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is what I would do, in tank fragmentation.
Some Zoas do it on their own, I had few start new colonies on other side of the tank. I suspect one polyp got torn /separated and it found new home.
Since it is Zoa do wear gloves just in case they release palytoxins.
You can cut around the plug to make it easier to remove.

I do this sometimes to create second colony of Zoas in the tank. So far it worked. Also I don’t glue the original plug or just use drop of glue so it is easier to remove later.

As I mentioned I like to experiment:
1714343853961.jpeg

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.

Zoas can be temperamental, one day all happy and next week or month they close up and melt away. So don’t be surprised if they act up.
Sounds perfect! Yeah I never glue my frags cuz ya never know

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back