Coral Eating Sand Tunnel

CaliforniaCrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds crazy, I know.... But something is living in a piece of rock and it builds a tunnel of sand over night, and devours coral! QUICKLY! I have lost chalices, zoas, and more.... I can't give up the rock. It was my first piece of LR from when I was 9. (22 now) and its been from Cali to Michigan and back to Cali with me. I've dipped the rock in Coral RX. Blasted it with a turkey Baster. As soon as I list the sand tunnel, nothing is there... It is eating a flame thrower chalice now as I type. Attached is it devouring some pink elephants....
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1366582654.535760.jpg

-ADub

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar although the only coral that i was losing was zoas and that was due to a nudi.. but I was having fish disappear and once i removed the rock all the remaining fish are still around plus newly added ones and everyone doesnt look so scared anymore.. who knows. Sorry I cant give you an answer but I did want to comment I was having a tunnel former as well.

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these also, but not losing corals to them. All i see are white, very thin, worm like creatures come out every now and then.

mrpillow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had spionid worms build similar sand tunnels but they do not harm my corals. Maybe the tunnel and the coral dying are from different critters?

Rikerbear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a bit of research it sounds like you are not alone in this.
Most seem to think it's a Eunicid worm

OP
OP
CaliforniaCrisp

CaliforniaCrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is defiantly not spinoid worms... Same tunnel though. I have tons of these in the tank and see them all the time. Harmless to anything in the tank.

When I google an image of the eunicid worm, It looks similar to a bristle work. But I think I would of seen something like that in my tank.... I'll try and get a better picture. But all I ever see is just a soft tunnel of sand.

-ADub

OP
OP
CaliforniaCrisp

CaliforniaCrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there holes through your rock or anything? or just the coral? had a similar issue.

It is a very porous rock. When I blast it with water, a lot of sand comes out. No creatures. And the tunnel will be destroyed and then reappear somewhere else munching on a coral.

-ADub

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you isolate where the harmful critter is, you can dip the rock in a hypersalinty water solution (minus coral) and the hitchhiker should come out.

OP
OP
CaliforniaCrisp

CaliforniaCrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys recommend? The hyper salinity dip or club soda? The rock it lives in (for the past 8 months that I've noticed) is covered in nice coralline algae. I will have to pull off all the coral on it...

-ADub

slapshot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Bobbit worm. None of those will even phase it. Not fun, not fun at all. Be careful not to break him because then you will have two! Here is a picture of mine. You will have to remove the entire rock and break it open to get him. They are lightning fast and can have tunnels yards long.

1Bobbit001.jpg

This thing would eat a cap I had like an ear of corn. Start at one end and munch to the end then go back and do it again. Once I found him his lair had enough frag pieces in it to fill a quart jar.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 113 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%

Back