There’s always light at the end of the tunnel!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to do this for anyone who is in the situation I was in only a few months ago. I had just had a crash and felt like giving up.

Here’s the journey of my nano over the last 6-8 months;
It was thriving as an SPS system. I had weekly growth on most of my coral and everything thrived. Back in August/September.
IMG_6748.jpeg

Then came my first major issue. I had a tin spike, I lost too much from that, including 3-4 SPS colonies and many frags. Luckily I found the source - a titanium heater. And everything began to thrive again shortly after removing the heater.
IMG_7415.jpeg

Then…
IMG_8163.jpeg

The Crash happened. This wiped out 2 fish (my young Cirrhilabrus isosceles and the female Pseudocheilinops ataenia), all but 2 coral (An Acan echinata and Ironman Favia) and my 2 year old Deresa Clam. This was the point I wanted to quit. I lost too much time to get a thriving system that crashed, and didn’t feel like I could bounce back from it.
I had just lost my favourite fish and all the coral I had spent months if not over a year collecting and getting to thrive. If I’m honest, any skeletons I took out of the tank I kept as some of those coral were my absolute pride and joy.

But, with hope from the community both on her and in the LFS I work at I continued fighting through. And I will be forever grateful for those people who helped me fight through these issues. And after 2-3 months of rebuilding my reef and stabilising it again…

Here I am today, back collecting coral which make me happy. And yes I may not be able to grow SPS at the rate I once was but honestly, the coral I grow now gives me much more joy than most of the SPS I was growing. I have an elegance which I got in January at 1/4 the size it is now that shows growth weekly! And a goni collection building that I never had previously but absolutely love now.
IMG_9764.jpeg

So I hope, if you’re in a sticky situation currently then you find your way out and have the support needed. Just remember, no matter how far away it seems there will always be light at the end of the tunnel!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What caused the crash?
That remains a mystery, it was thought to be a temperature swing but that swing is still shown today when I try to see the history of my temperature.
I believe it was tin levels and I also swapped over to Ph Plus from AFR so my nutrients likely didn’t love that.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 55 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 16 11.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 39 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back