Coral only, filter sock required?

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallons long AIO and wonder if filter pads or socks are even required for a coral only tank. I have substrate and frag racks and frags on grow out tiles. Some trochus snails as CUC

I started with live rock from my display tank that was seeded with Aussie live rock and have added copepods just to boost pod diversity.

I was wondering if I even would need mechanical filtration. I dose live phyto, and was thinking mechanical filtration probably just gets pods and phyto trapped and could just be better without mechanical filtration since I don’t have any fish.

OP
OP
liddojunior

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a skimmer but that’s all

After a couple months, I barely have nutrients go up. My phosphate is lower than I can detect. And nitrates stay at 2 ppm. No Dinos , so I think it’s like the right amount that corals, I don’t actually have much algae that even grow on glass.

I have trouble with nutrients that I just leave skimmer off. It has trouble building up good foam cause there’s not much to skim.

So now I’m like is there even a point to having a filter pad if all it does it probably capture pods and phyto. And maybe coral goop and shedding , not sure how much of a bioload that could be

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.2%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back