Coraline algae in a bottle

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers , question about coralline algae
Would it be beneficial to add coralline algae from a bottle. Would this speed up the process of maturing mu new set up and are there any benefits or draw backs to doing so manually instead letting it develop by its own(

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried the bottle kind and did not see anything come to fruition. More recently I put in a trochus snail who had purple coralline on its shell and am now seeing tiny spots on my rock and glass. It can come on frag plugs, snail shells and I think you can even buy the branching form of it online. Seeding with a bottle doesn’t necessarily mean it will just show up, you’ll need to have good parameters for a little bit.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the bottle kind and did not see anything come to fruition. More recently I put in a trochus snail who had purple coralline on its shell and am now seeing tiny spots on my rock and glass. It can come on frag plugs, snail shells and I think you can even buy the branching form of it online. Seeding with a bottle doesn’t necessarily mean it will just show up, you’ll need to have good parameters for a little bit.
thanks for the reply:)) i find my alk is dropingfrom 8.1 dkh to 7.6 dkh in 24 hr period. Is this normal for a new set up? Should i dose ?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @lil sumpin said. Many coraline in a bottle are not live spores, just water enhancers. Ths arcreef stuff is spores and did work for me. Years ago it was $15 and both pink and purple in the same bottle.
Id look for some rock or snails to seed.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers , question about coralline algae
Would it be beneficial to add coralline algae from a bottle. Would this speed up the process of maturing mu new set up and are there any benefits or draw backs to doing so manually instead letting it develop by its own(
If you were near me I would give you a life time suppy.
I have to scrape my glass constantly, it's a real PITA.
Be careful what you wish for op.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @lil sumpin said. Many coraline in a bottle are not live spores, just water enhancers. Ths arcreef stuff is spores and did work for me. Years ago it was $15 and both pink and purple in the same bottle.
Id look for some rock or snails to seed.

This was the one i was thinking about. I think i will wait for it to appear “naturally”.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were near me I would give you a life time suppy.
I have to scrape my glass constantly, it's a real PITA.
Be careful what you wish for op.
Haha thanks:). Any idea why some aquarium struggle in getting coralline in general even if alk calcium and mag are at normal acceptable levels

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why some aquarium struggle in getting coralline in general even if alk calcium and mag are at normal acceptable levels??

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for the reply:)) i find my alk is dropingfrom 8.1 dkh to 7.6 dkh in 24 hr period. Is this normal for a new set up? Should i dose ?

Did you test this daily to figure out that rate? How new is your set up? Do you have coral? My nano consumes about .5 dkh in 2-3 days and I use roughly 3ml AFR once a week to keep alk in the 8.5-9 range

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks:). Any idea why some aquarium struggle in getting coralline in general even if alk calcium and mag are at normal acceptable levels
I believe it also has to do with flow, lighting, and how much is in your tank to begin with. As for the stuff in the bottle, I used it in the beginning, back in September, and thought "I guess it's just a gimmick, not really working". However, my tank is just shy of 6 months old and half my rocks are now almost completely covered in the stuff. So I am fairly sure that is due to bottle stuff kicking in. It must be introduced, it will not just show up on its own, so the more you introduce, the better it will be.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it also has to do with flow, lighting, and how much is in your tank to begin with. As for the stuff in the bottle, I used it in the beginning, back in September, and thought "I guess it's just a gimmick, not really working". However, my tank is just shy of 6 months old and half my rocks are now almost completely covered in the stuff. So I am fairly sure that is due to bottle stuff kicking in. It must be introduced, it will not just show up on its own, so the more you introduce, the better it will be.
I used those bottles as well. Had great results - about a month later I started seeing tiny spots all over my rocks, to which it didn't take long at all for them to start getting covered all over the place.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, it needs to be introduced. After that, time. Once it starts it won't stop. It will take time to build up. A snail shell or rock and scrape it to spread it in the tank.

Second, it grows better in lower lighting. It grows in high light but faster in low light.

I don't think alkalinity, calcium, or flow matter too much as long as in the proper ranges for a reef tank.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO buying coraline and copepods are reef aquarium snake oil.
Both will materialize in time when biological stability is achieved.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicee thanks:)

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firstly, it needs to be introduced. After that, time. Once it starts it won't stop. It will take time to build up. A snail shell or rock and scrape it to spread it in the tank.

Second, it grows better in lower lighting. It grows in high light but faster in low light.

I don't think alkalinity, calcium, or flow matter too much as long as in the proper ranges for a reef tank.
Strange that some aquarium struggle to get covered coralline even after 2-3 years

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank is stable do you think copepods are worth adding from that point on?
I continue to add copepods to my tank. They will help in more ways than you know. The best way to add them is when lights are out, and I use a piece of PVC so you can make sure they get to the bottom, and in the rock work safely. I get mine from Algae Barn. I get the Galaxy pods because it is 3 different types combined.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank is stable do you think copepods are worth adding from that point on?
1. So whether you're quarantining your corals or just dipping using a product like Revive, copepods still make it in to the display.
2. Also, you buy your corals from an LFS on separate occasions or online order, you're going to add diversification of the species of Amphipods and Copepods and their going to populate in your display.
3. If you have a sump or any place the pods have an opportunity to live without predation (pod hotel/refugium), the population is going to establish itself and eventually make it into the display through the return pump.
IMO the only reason to add them is if you insist on keeping a Mandarin in a tank that is not big enough to support a population for them to keep it well fed.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. So whether you're quarantining your corals or just dipping using a product like Revive, copepods still make it in to the display.
2. Also, you buy your corals from an LFS on separate occasions or online order, you're going to add diversification of the species of Amphipods and Copepods and their going to populate in your display.
3. If you have a sump or any place the pods have an opportunity to live without predation (pod hotel/refugium), the population is going to establish itself and eventually make it into the display through the return pump.
IMO the only reason to add them is if you insist on keeping a Mandarin in a tank that is not big enough to support a population for them to keep it well fed.
OR one out competes another and you want diversity in the system. This happens in more ways than one.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If setting up new tank with dead rocks, I would wait after cycling to add the copepods and phyto. As far as coralline in a bottle, I would add only after I've stabilized the calcium and alkalinity, and the tank is about 3-4 months after cycling. If adding too early, I don't see it taking hold as well. The most important thing is turning off skimmer/UV/ozone and return pump for a couple hours when you add, and let it circulate within the tank. If you can do it for 24 hours, even better...but you may need to move a heater into the tank if you are turning off return pump for that long. If you see coralline on your powerhead...you are golden...that'll just spread everywhere over time.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back