Coraline algae in a bottle

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank is stable do you think copepods are worth adding from that point on?
In cases where you want something to get eaten, copepod dosing is definitely not a bad thing. Pods eat everything. So, no it's not a bad idea at all. I throw them into my refugium every so often to keep a high population in there. Will your tank eventually just maintain a population? Sure. But elevating the population from time to time is a benefit with no real detriment.

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue to add copepods to my tank. They will help in more ways than you know. The best way to add them is when lights are out, and I use a piece of PVC so you can make sure they get to the bottom, and in the rock work safely. I get mine from Algae Barn. I get the Galaxy pods because it is 3 different types combined.
Nice trick

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR one out competes another and you want diversity in the system. This happens in more ways than one.
How about fluctuation in alk in a new tank. For example mine is 80 litre nano cycled and 3 months old. The alk is consumed on a daily basis 8.1-7.6 in24 hrs. All other parameters such as calcium and magnesium remained the same since the beginning. The tank has only 2 fish in it , no corals yet. I presume alk is consumed during the nitrification process for some reason. Can that be tha case?

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I continue to add copepods to my tank. They will help in more ways than you know. The best way to add them is when lights are out, and I use a piece of PVC so you can make sure they get to the bottom, and in the rock work safely. I get mine from Algae Barn. I get the Galaxy pods because it is 3 different types combined.
The last haul for me was from Dinkins Aquatic Gardens and their phytoplankton and pods are excellent.
I bought a half gallon of each. The phyto bottle...you can shine a flashlight into the side of the bottle and no light will reach the other side. Very dense stuff. You should try them next time. And I believe they are less expensive.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR one out competes another and you want diversity in the system. This happens in more ways than one.
that's also true. my only worry at that point is are you just adding food for the dominant species or actually improving the population? it depends what you add and already have i suppose

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In cases where you want something to get eaten, copepod dosing is definitely not a bad thing. Pods eat everything. So, no it's not a bad idea at all. I throw them into my refugium every so often to keep a high population in there. Will your tank eventually just maintain a population? Sure. But elevating the population from time to time is a benefit with no real detriment.
just one detriment... cost.
If they aren't actually improving the population its just expensive food for the microfauna

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just one detriment... cost.
If they aren't actually improving the population its just expensive food for the microfauna
That's fine too. My German Shepherds eat better than most people do. I'm good with that. ;)
They are not just food though. They are consumers themselves and eat things like hair algae.

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What @lil sumpin said. Many coraline in a bottle are not live spores, just water enhancers. Ths arcreef stuff is spores and did work for me. Years ago it was $15 and both pink and purple in the same bottle.
Id look for some rock or snails to seed.

This worked for me very well following the instructions

OP
OP
Smallslandreefer

Smallslandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test this daily to figure out that rate? How new is your set up? Do you have coral? My nano consumes about .5 dkh in 2-3 days and I use roughly 3ml AFR once a week to keep alk in the 8.5-9 range
I did test 24 hrs later a couple of times. There is definitely consumption of alk during that period 0.3 to 0-6 dkh. However other parameters remain stable. I think its due to nitrification. However i don't know when adding an all buffer like baking soda or part 2 only if it cause imbalances in long term use.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pink fusion and purple helix worked WELL for me ...takes time be patient

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back