Coralline doesn’t like top of the tank?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally let the coralline grow out. It doesn’t seem to like the top of the tank.

Does anyone else experience this in their tanks? It’s a perfect border. There has to be an explanation for this.

IMG_8793.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is no light. If coraline gets exposed to air it turns bright flourescent pink.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coraline doesn't like bright light, or I should say, prefers dimmer light. But not zero light.
That looks like it is not getting any light. But I don't think that's the case because of the end of the tank are the same.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t take longer than 15-20 minutes to drain and refill. The water drops below the “dead zone” border.

I use a blanket of T5 lighting that completely covers the entire tank top. I can’t imagine there being too little light. I was thinking it was too much if anything.

I’m leaning toward the air + direct light exposure. I won’t change water for a month to see if the coralline will grow in the no-man-zone.

If the coralline starts to fill that area out, then its probably the air exposure.

It’s been one week since my last water change, so 3 more weeks to go!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t take longer than 15-20 minutes to drain and refill. The water drops below the “dead zone” border. Perhaps the air exposure time reaches for the upper section during the water change?

I use a blanket of T5 lighting. I can’t imagine there being too little light. I was thinking it was too much if anything.

I’m leaning toward the air + direct light exposure. I’m going to not do a water change for a month to see if the coralline will grow in the no-man-zone.

If the coralline starts to fill that area out, then its probably the air exposure.

I have a distinct no coralline line around my tank where the water change levels out. In between water changes it fills in a little.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In mine it is the low water line while doing water change. Dry just enough to keep it from growing there.
The hard line in my tank is also the water line. I suppose if light had a hard shade line, that could do it too.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t take longer than 15-20 minutes to drain and refill. The water drops below the “dead zone” border.

I use a blanket of T5 lighting that completely covers the entire tank top. I can’t imagine there being too little light. I was thinking it was too much if anything.

I’m leaning toward the air + direct light exposure. I won’t change water for a month to see if the coralline will grow in the no-man-zone.

My tank does the same thing. I get Coralline at the top but when I do I water change It turns white from the water level change. In my experience it dies pretty fast out of the water.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate scraping the back wall. Imagine just draining the tank for 15 minutes and then having a squeaky-clean back wall. :thinking-face:

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%

Back