Culturing multiple strains of pods and phyto

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to jump into culturing my own pods and phyto as with two tanks now turning into 4/5 over the next few months it makes more since than ever to not jus let be buying them.

Is anyone doing this? If so do you see a great benefit from feeding multiple strains of phyto or stocking multiple species of pods?

OP
OP
Cycleguy0623

Cycleguy0623

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that seems like an appropriate tag lol. I was just building a cart on his site for this

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well that seems like an appropriate tag lol. I was just building a cart on his site for this
If you have questions hit me up. I thought I had responded to the tags in this thread the day of but didn't. I've been swamped this week with orders, you can always call 801-901-0970 or text to get an answer.

marinebreeders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried culturing multiple phyto species to feed my pods ( Tisbee, Tigriopus, and Apex), and it did become a bit cumbersome. The phyto cultures would crash, and the pods would suffer. Perhaps it was my inexperience.

Depending on how much time you can allocate and your experience level, feeding the pods with products such as rotigrow or phytofeast becomes more feasible and manageable. The products have a long shelf life, and it is easier to measure how much phyto you are dosing because it is a constant concentration. Using these products, I have fewer ammonia spikes, and my pod cultures don't crash, as opposed to culturing my own phyto.

You mention you will have more tanks. Are you implying more tanks to have corals or more tanks to grow pods? I do not have any experience adding rotigrow or phytofeast for coral tanks.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a while I cultured different strains. I did not see much benefit that my eyes can see, not to mean there isn’t benefit.

As mentioned above it did become more work than I intended and eventually stopped. But it was a fun learning experience while I did it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back