Cupramine vs copper safe

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don’t have a tank to do the ttm with the mandarin because if I put it in my display it may be very difficult to retrieve later and my DT is not disease free yet so for now I was thinking about just keeping the Mandy in a QT of its own for observation then find an other small tank for the 12 day ttm. closer to the 76 day mark of the DT and some prazi before or after. if the Mandy is eating which according to biota should be no issue I even picked up some frozen cyclops from vo2 and ocean nutrition. It’s been stated (on a reef builders YouTube video) that mandarin love cyclops and it’s one of the foods used to wean them off live foods before they are shipped

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great write up and thread. nicely done.. i refer back to this often.

i just ordered the chematrix test kit for copper. Expensive. but looks like a good kit. some angles and fairy wrasses going through a Copper Safe treatment. will post if any issues. thanks

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Today marks the 30th day of copper treatment. Going to use a poly-pad to suck up some copper then test and either do a water change or wait A little and dose prazi. After a day of prazi I’ll definitely do a waterchange either way

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great write up and thread. nicely done.. i refer back to this often.

i just ordered the chematrix test kit for copper. Expensive. but looks like a good kit. some angles and fairy wrasses going through a Copper Safe treatment. will post if any issues. thanks
Awesome! Good idea getting the better test kit. I see myself getting one in the near future because this coppersafe treatment went super smoothly

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought i would update this post.. started treatment with copper safe.. it going well and really want to say ... i am using the Chemets... chemetrics coppper test kit .. nice kit and much easier to read.. more expensive but when treating fish that are expensive.. its worth it.. just my 2cents worth.. easier to read than API ...

As far as using copper safe.. my fish. fairy warasses and angels are doing great... no issues. Even had to treat one of my Blue Star wrasses and he is ok in it and eating..

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So Coppersafe over Cupramine? my QT tank is ready and I need to know which to use. Thanks. I will QT some Anthias maybe Talbot Damsels maybe a Vlamingi Tang within the upcoming months. Thanks. I am still confused on which to use.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem I did the same I ramped it up over five days testing an hour after each to make sure. Can’t always trust what the bottle says so just go slow, test and you’ll be good to go

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the api. it was difficult at first the best results I found were in indirect sunlight outside thanks to Humblefishs advice. But I shot for 2.0 maybe a little over. I think I was at around 2.5-3 when I noticed the fish’s activity and appetite loss then I toned it back down to a strong 2.0

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the color change is more noticeable when you add coppersafe and test daily. Fwiw I ended up adding 1ml more for every 4-5 gallons of water then what the directions asked

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very good info. Looks like 2.0 will be the magic number. I don't want to put the fish thru to much since QT can be a difficult time anyways.
Exactly. Get them eating strong first then add copper slowly and at any time you see they’re appetite drop for a day. Stop. And double check perameters. If copper level is low then double check your ammonia with seachem’s ammonia badge. If ammonia is zero then check salinity. If salinity is stable then the great water change should come threw. We don’t want the fish to stop eating during copper treatment, it can be more dangerous then the infecting parasite

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I actually have a Seachem ammonia badge in my sump for my DT. That should be safe to use? My DT has been cycled since October I just keep it in there.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend daily testing with coppersafe, I have made the unfortunate mistake of waiting too long to test. It doesn't end well either. And there are some people who have found they are reaching the 2.0 mark before dosing the 1.25ml per gallon instructions on bottle. This thread is long, but you can see what I'm talking about...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...ents-high-range-copper-checker.368943/page-11

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend daily testing with coppersafe, I have made the unfortunate mistake of waiting too long to test. It doesn't end well either. And there are some people who have found they are reaching the 2.0 mark before dosing the 1.25ml per gallon instructions on bottle. This thread is long, but you can see what I'm talking about...

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...ents-high-range-copper-checker.368943/page-11

Like me.. it's looking like 25ml was between 1.5-2ppm versus the 40ml I was anticipating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back