*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It works fine with coppersafe. Coppersafe blames us for testing. It shouldn’t be any different than copper power. Hanna is on par with API tester for coppersafe :)

Lol ok. I clearly misunderstood your previous post.

You sir just saved my wall from having a shiny new hole(that's the kind of day I've been having)

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of how many people may have lost a ton of fish, being so cautious and careful with their dosage...maybe thinking it was other factors like parasitic or their own neglect of water parameters, only to find out they unknowingly killed their fish with a copper overdose based on mfg recommendations??

Fritz/Mardel should be ashamed of themselves. 4x the dose of copper is “safe” my ***

That’s the kind of thing that should provoke a class action lawsuit. This hobby is WAY too expensive for “whoops...our bad ‍♂️

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thought of how many people may have lost a ton of fish, being so cautious and careful with their dosage...maybe thinking it was other factors like parasitic or their own neglect of water parameters, only to find out they unknowingly killed their fish with a copper overdose based on mfg recommendations??

Fritz/Mardel should be ashamed of themselves. 4x the dose of copper is “safe” my ***

That’s the kind of thing that should provoke a class action lawsuit. This hobby is WAY too expensive for “whoops...our bad ‍♂️

Thing is...They didn't even do that. According to the email response I got it was more like "whoops...YOUR bad"

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 tanks down to 2.0 now. I still can't for the life of me tell the difference between 2 and 4. One more tank to fix up tomorrow.

I did this with copper power, but have you done a sort of baseline test for color? Curious to see if there’s a major difference in color between the mfg dose of coppersafe and a double dose in a small sample size of water because with the copper power it’s obvious.

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think the copper type makes a difference. To me atleast 2 and 4 are both orange. 1 to 2 is a change from yellow to orange.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont think the copper type makes a difference. To me atleast 2 and 4 are both orange. 1 to 2 is a change from yellow to orange.

I wonder if that’s a result of the coppersafe then? I did these two as a control for copper power.

Top was .75ml per half gallon and the bottom was 1.5ml per half gallon (a double dose which should be around 4) and there’s a discernible difference

83cc4f95828cf5f099f87d01210041a9.jpg

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks the same to me, haha, especially if one is held a quarter inch off the chart and the other a half an inch.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks the same to me, haha, especially if one is held a quarter inch off the chart and the other a half an inch.

Yeah see, that’s the problem. Me and my girlfriend argue about this all the time. I got a yellow clown goby she named “tangerine” and I say “he’s yellow maybe a golden rod”

And she says “nah he’s orange.”

All based on perception of color, horrible basis for keeping fish alive [emoji23]

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are those who can really read an API copper test but have to believe that 90% of users are just guessing (like me). Has anybody compared the Hanna results to Chemectrics? The last time I used Coppersafe, I tested with Chemectrics. My results were always high (3-3.5 ppm if I remember correctly) but consistent. I assumed the test just measured high, but it might just be the bottle of Coppersafe.

I’m a little leery of Hanna. Punting my Phosphorus ULR and replacing with a NYOS Phosphate test kit was downright liberating. Admittedly, my Hanna Alkalinity checker is great, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Anyway, I would like to use the rest of my Chemectrics tests before researching The Hanna Cu checker (I have to be 100% positive I’m not spending $$$ on another device that requires 4 minutes of test procedures for a checker that shuts-off in 3 minutes).

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure there are those who can really read an API copper test but have to believe that 90% of users are just guessing (like me). Has anybody compared the Hanna results to Chemectrics? The last time I used Coppersafe, I tested with Chemectrics. My results were always high (3-3.5 ppm if I remember correctly) but consistent. I assumed the test just measured high, but it might just be the bottle of Coppersafe.

I’m a little leery of Hanna. Punting my Phosphorus ULR and replacing with a NYOS Phosphate test kit was downright liberating. Admittedly, my Hanna Alkalinity checker is great, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Anyway, I would like to use the rest of my Chemectrics tests before researching The Hanna Cu checker (I have to be 100% positive I’m not spending $$$ on another device that requires 4 minutes of test procedures for a checker that shuts-off in 3 minutes).

I understand your reasoning, I don't personally own the chemetrics test kit, and at this point I think the best thing to do is patiently await for @Hanna Instruments to do their own testing, and see what be it the outcome. I had never used any hanna product until I purchased the Copper Checker. Just with the small amount of testing I have performed, I think and hope we will all be happy with their results.

That being said I will continue to share my results, on my upcoming testing of dosing a batch of fish in QT from start to finish. It is a bit delayed as 2 of the fish were backordered and my idol shipped yesterday, purple tang today. So as long as all goes well I should be able to start dosing by the beginning of the week.

I know there are a few others on the thread that have already ordered them, and look forward to their feedback as well. All of us who have made the investment, prior to the official word, know its at our own risk. Which is why when I received the tester, the very first thing I did was compare results to saltwater vs freshwater.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if that’s a result of the coppersafe then? I did these two as a control for copper power.

Top was .75ml per half gallon and the bottom was 1.5ml per half gallon (a double dose which should be around 4) and there’s a discernible difference

83cc4f95828cf5f099f87d01210041a9.jpg
Closer to 2 than 4 in my eyes.. something that I was told that helped me with the color is squinting your eyes. The colors are actually easier to tell the difference.

Try it and let me know if that helped [emoji5]

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemetrics has the same problem as API, though - no color standard between 1 and 2 ppm, so you are left guessing.

True, but very easy to read. It is about as easy to read color-wise as any test I've seen (measuring anything). You can easily match a color and/or tell that it belongs between two colors that are next to each other on the scale. It includes actual samples of the different color measurements and the test is done in the same sort of bottle as the samples.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back