*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great if the improvement continues. I use Coppersafe, I have since the mid-1980's. It is very mild, I've even kept bamboo sharks in it for long periods. However, it is not very fast acting. In severe cases of marine ich, it often does not work fast enough to prevent fish loss - I use it more as a quarantine preventative.

Jay

GGonzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great if the improvement continues. I use Coppersafe, I have since the mid-1980's. It is very mild, I've even kept bamboo sharks in it for long periods. However, it is not very fast acting. In severe cases of marine ich, it often does not work fast enough to prevent fish loss - I use it more as a quarantine preventative.

Jay
What would be a better alternative? Copper Power?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a better alternative? Copper Power?
That really isn’t much different. Some people swear by Cupramine, but I haven’t used it much.
Jay

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this conversation was a couple 2 or 3 years ago, but has Coppersafe improved their product? I just had a Powder Blue and a Blue Tang in QT using Coppersafe and I almost lost them. I had not even reached therapeutic levels according to my Hanna Checker and when I woke up at 2:30am to check on them they were in terrible shape. My Powder Blue had lost a lot of its color and had stripes going across its body from head to tail and was barely moving. My Blue Tang was covered in a weird coating and laying at the bottom of the tank. I fresh water dipped them to remove as much of the copper as possible and placed them back into my DT.
Here are the best pictures I could get of my Powder Blue, the Blue Tang is easily photographed because this is her preferred position. The Powder Blue is now swimming around and its color is returning.
20210330_044857.jpg
20210330_044513.jpg
20210330_044722.jpg
20210330_044423.jpg
20210330_044419.jpg
I don’t know if they have improved or not? What is the copper level? It looks like they are pretty heavily afflicted and the parasite may be what’s making them look so rough if you are not at therapeutic level.

GGonzo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if they have improved or not? What is the copper level? It looks like they are pretty heavily afflicted and the parasite may be what’s making them look so rough if you are not at therapeutic level.
I'm having a hard time getting it above 1.75ppm. I did a small water change last night before bed and treated the new water with Coppersafe so as not to lower the level in my QT. I didn't want an ammonia spike while I was asleep, so I felt it best to play it safe.
I just panicked when I woke up and saw them looking like they were at death's door. They are both behaving much happier now in the DT. I will reset the QT with freshly made water and dose up to 1.75 again and place them back in. I'll try to get the dose to 2.0 by tonight.
I hate medicating fish, I'm afraid of overdosing them accidentally....

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Hanna Instruments, thanks for the reply. These are a different sample for both checkers with the respective reagent. I didn't think testing the same one in both checkers would be a valid test?

FYI I have been using both testers all week to measure my Copper levels and they are very close when you do an average comparison. I'm favouring the LR one because the strength I need is around 200ppb.

I'm using the homemade Copper from here which tests as it should from the recipe and dosed accordingly to a 64 litre of water volume to an 80l QT tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-copper-med.364112/

I've got a couple of technical questions that you may be able to answer?

How do the checkers produce the results? Is it a single sample from the photocell or does it take multiple readings and then throw out the average to the LCD screen?

How long is the reacted sample valid for? In the instructions, it just says don't let it stand not for too long. What is that window?

Why is there no need to wait 45 seconds for the LR reagent/checker. I've noticed it doesn't even have that function built in.

The certificate with the reagent I have is measuring a touch low anyway so I have been taking that in to account for my own QT Copper levels.

53da1c0e7dcdc06e61185f6adb851673.jpg

As @Brew12 says, both checkers are a good way to measure Copper.

@HotRocks Tips for using the checkers are spot on. Even the smallest smudge on glass can really skew the results.
Hi Any development?
Have you been using the Low range copper checker regularly since?

Would you recommend it for cupramine and diy copper sulfate?

Thanks!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back