*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm an inquisitive person and I like to experiment, I decided to try both checkers. Here are the results of 10x test for both checkers. I can't see an issue with the Low Range one personally... Thoughts?

HR

LR

@HotRocks @Hanna Instruments @4FordFamily @Humblefish

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm an inquisitive person and I like to experiment, I decided to try both checkers. Here are the results of 10x test for both checkers. I can't see an issue with the Low Range one personally... Thoughts?

HR

LR

Hello Japtastic,

Are the results shown here for low range and high range the same sample? Meaning is the first result of 195 on the low range when tested on the high range 0.19ppm?

These results seem promising, when we looked at the HI747 Low Range Copper Checker we were getting inconsistent results. What form/brand of copper are you using? Can you please elaborate on your copper dosages and volume of saltwater used for these tests?

If you prefer to talk via email feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HR

LR

Based only on this, it looks like either tester is better than any of the other options that are available. Thanks for doing this!

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Japtastic,

Are the results shown here for low range and high range the same sample? Meaning is the first result of 195 on the low range when tested on the high range 0.19ppm?

These results seem promising, when we looked at the HI747 Low Range Copper Checker we were getting inconsistent results. What form/brand of copper are you using? Can you please elaborate on your copper dosages and volume of saltwater used for these tests?

If you prefer to talk via email feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Hi @Hanna Instruments, thanks for the reply. These are a different sample for both checkers with the respective reagent. I didn't think testing the same one in both checkers would be a valid test?

FYI I have been using both testers all week to measure my Copper levels and they are very close when you do an average comparison. I'm favouring the LR one because the strength I need is around 200ppb.

I'm using the homemade Copper from here which tests as it should from the recipe and dosed accordingly to a 64 litre of water volume to an 80l QT tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-copper-med.364112/

I've got a couple of technical questions that you may be able to answer?

How do the checkers produce the results? Is it a single sample from the photocell or does it take multiple readings and then throw out the average to the LCD screen?

How long is the reacted sample valid for? In the instructions, it just says don't let it stand not for too long. What is that window?

Why is there no need to wait 45 seconds for the LR reagent/checker. I've noticed it doesn't even have that function built in.

The certificate with the reagent I have is measuring a touch low anyway so I have been taking that in to account for my own QT Copper levels.

53da1c0e7dcdc06e61185f6adb851673.jpg

As @Brew12 says, both checkers are a good way to measure Copper.

@HotRocks Tips for using the checkers are spot on. Even the smallest smudge on glass can really skew the results.

Last edited:

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got to the bottom of why my Copper was being absorbed. Was the filter media all along. Took the majority out and Swapped for Fluval Biomax yesterday.

This morning's results.

Average = 199.5

Last edited:

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Hanna Instruments, thanks for the reply. These are a different sample for both checkers with the respective reagent. I didn't think testing the same one in both checkers would be a valid test?

FYI I have been using both testers all week to measure my Copper levels and they are very close when you do an average comparison. I'm favouring the LR one because the strength I need is around 200ppb.

I'm using the homemade Copper from here which tests as it should from the recipe and dosed accordingly to a 64 litre of water volume to an 80l QT tank.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-copper-med.364112/

I've got a couple of technical questions that you may be able to answer?

How do the checkers produce the results? Is it a single sample from the photocell or does it take multiple readings and then throw out the average to the LCD screen?

How long is the reacted sample valid for? In the instructions, it just says don't let it stand not for too long. What is that window?

Why is there no need to wait 45 seconds for the LR reagent/checker. I've noticed it doesn't even have that function built in.

The certificate with the reagent I have is measuring a touch low anyway so I have been taking that in to account for my own QT Copper levels.

53da1c0e7dcdc06e61185f6adb851673.jpg

As @Brew12 says, both checkers are a good way to measure Copper.

@HotRocks Tips for using the checkers are spot on. Even the smallest smudge on glass can really skew the results.

- Many measurements are taken in succession and averaged. This is done while the LCD shows blinking segments “ - - “.

- LR should have better accuracy/precision since it is designed to measure at the lower levels.

- During LR measurement, due to the very low absorbance levels, the dissipation of bubbles after adding/mixing the reagent is very critical to accurate measurement. Therefore we specify to ensure the bubbles have completely dissipated before measurement rather than setting a fixed time limit.

- Stability is not typically an issue for copper parameters, but in general, we urge for samples to be measured without unnecessary delay.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dosing the tank with meds that alter water color, like Furan-2, safe to assume the Hanna checker will not give reliable results?

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemed to work fine for me with the LR checker. I have a QT with Copper and Furan-2 at the moment. Will test again later and let you know the results to confirm.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dosing the tank with meds that alter water color, like Furan-2, safe to assume the Hanna checker will not give reliable results?

Works fine when using Furan-2 + copper. The checker takes a baseline reading for each test. I have tested many times when dosing Furan-2 to a tank containing copper.

Check just before adding Furan-2, then just after. I have never had a reading outside of the +/-.05ppm tolerance of the tester.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd share my experiences with the Hanna HR Copper checker and Cupramine.

It took me quite a while to be confident I was administering the test kit correctly. You can be too careful. I was trying to avoid air bubbles and shaking softly and cleaning the cuvette meticulously. I found my readings were all over the shop. I found that I was taking too long and would get readings in the .8s every time on water I was confident was much lower.. I realised that within a few minutes of adding the reagent something in the cuvette starts to coagulate and looks like fluff or gelatinous particles. Hence false readings.

Once I sorted that out I was shocked. I have been using salifert test kits and getting readings of .5 to my eye. Testing the same water with the Hanna checker I'm getting .8 and above. No wonder I was losing fish!

Currently running copper at .46 and much more confident. The Hanna checker is a must if you are serious about getting fish through QT.

Btw, Hanna in Australia checked with me when I ordered because they weren't aware the HR checker was accurate in SW. I showed them this thread! Thanks @HotRocks.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So wait, the LR copper checker is preferred now? Why did everyone but the HR?
No, the LR doesn't work. You use the HR for chelated or ionic copper.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Many measurements are taken in succession and averaged. This is done while the LCD shows blinking segments “ - - “.

- LR should have better accuracy/precision since it is designed to measure at the lower levels.

- During LR measurement, due to the very low absorbance levels, the dissipation of bubbles after adding/mixing the reagent is very critical to accurate measurement. Therefore we specify to ensure the bubbles have completely dissipated before measurement rather than setting a fixed time limit.

- Stability is not typically an issue for copper parameters, but in general, we urge for samples to be measured without unnecessary delay.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back