DIY copper med

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, many thanks to @Christoph for providing me with this information in the first place. The below "recipe" can also be found in a book by Gerald Bassleer: https://www.bassleer.com/over-gerald-bassleer/

Into 1 liter of RODI water add:

4 grams Copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4.5H2O)

AND

0.25 gram Citric acid - the acid acts as a stabilizer to the copper in solution. Never substitute the citric acid with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) since it will render the copper way more toxic. :eek:

Everything should dissolve nicely giving you a slightly bluish solution.

9.8 mL of this solution is necessary to bring 100 Liters (26.4172 US gallons) of tank water to 0.1 mg/L copper. Therapeutic range is ~ 0.15 to 0.25 mg/L, but I would try to stay below 0.20 for sensitive species. Can easily be measured with Salifert copper test kit.

^^ The above might be an option to try for those struggling with commercially available copper products. o_O It is "old school copper", which isn't used much anymore (except by public aquariums, research institutions, etc.) because it isn't very "user friendly" and has a narrow therapeutic range. So be sure to pay close attention to detail when mixing everything & dosing. I will begin looking for online sources to buy the above listed ingredients; @Randy Holmes-Farley might already know of some.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper sulfate pentahydrate is also listed here as a proper treatment for Marine Ich: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

Screenshot from 2018-03-01 11:32:33.png

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

thanks to Humblefish for posting this!

the citric acid can for sure be bought at Wal Mart. - And copper sulfate pentahydrate is available on amazon, or you might ask a pharmacist. Both chemicals are very cheap. Use a digital balance with at least 0.1 g accuracy for the copper sulfate pentahydrate, the amount of the citric acid is not super-critical.

Be careful to use the copper sulfate pentahydrate (deep blue crystals), copper sulfate is also available as anhydrate (colorless to slightly blue), which is significantly more potent and would require a modified recipe.

Copper_sulfate.jpg

CuSO4 x 5H2O, probably you will buy way more than required to treat your fish. You can grow nice crystals from the remaining copper salt ;-)

I would argue to use copper only in case of diagnosed disease and would not opt for prophylactic treatment in healthy looking animals. Any treatment is stressful for the fish, and the rule "less is more" often applies.

Edit: To add another dosing help: For every 10 gallons tank water you need to add 3.7 ml of this copper solution to get a copper concentration of 0.1 mg/l. Please dont go straight from zero to 0.1 mg/l, add at least one more level inbetween when ramping up.
Best,
Christoph

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think any of the 99% purity copper sulfate products are suitable.

I would also expect that copper (II) chloride is also suitable. Any reason to think not?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good info, Bobby! This is one of those things we all hope we'll never need but should all be aware of. It will come in helpful in a bind.

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Justin Thain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, but what are the “claims/benefits” of using this over other copper treatments. As noted one of the cons that I see is that it has a tighter therapeutic operating range.

I ask because I honestly don’t know which is better, or in which case you might use one over the other

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question, but what are the “claims/benefits” of using this over other copper treatments. As noted one of the cons that I see is that it has a tighter therapeutic operating range.

I ask because I honestly don’t know which is better, or in which case you might use one over the other

To be frank, I am beginning to distrust the mfgs of chelated copper: Coppersafe & Copper Power. Plus, it's difficult to accurately test for both of those.

Seachem Cupramine is fine, but not all fish tolerate that well.

So, this is just me wanting to explore another option.

Justin Thain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be frank, I am beginning to distrust the mfgs of chelated copper: Coppersafe & Copper Power. Plus, it's difficult to accurately test for both of those.

Seachem Cupramine is fine, but not all fish tolerate that well.

So, this is just me wanting to explore another option.

Perfect, thanks for the info!!!

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, many thanks to @Christoph for providing me with this information in the first place. The below "recipe" can also be found in a book by Gerald Bassleer: https://www.bassleer.com/over-gerald-bassleer/

Into 1 liter of RODI water add:

4 grams Copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4.5H2O)

AND

0.25 gram Citric acid - the acid acts as a stabilizer to the copper in solution. Never substitute the citric acid with ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) since it will render the copper way more toxic. :eek:

Everything should dissolve nicely giving you a slightly bluish solution.

9.8 mL of this solution is necessary to bring 100 Liters (26.4172 US gallons) of tank water to 0.1 mg/L copper. Therapeutic range is ~ 0.15 to 0.25 mg/L, but I would try to stay below 0.20 for sensitive species. Can easily be measured with Salifert copper test kit.

^^ The above might be an option to try for those struggling with commercially available copper products. o_O It is "old school copper", which isn't used much anymore (except by public aquariums, research institutions, etc.) because it isn't very "user friendly" and has a narrow therapeutic range. So be sure to pay close attention to detail when mixing everything & dosing. I will begin looking for online sources to buy the above listed ingredients; @Randy Holmes-Farley might already know of some.
Another great bit of information. Interested to see how it tests and works for you.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will fish be more tolerant, do you think, of this copper solution than commercially-available ionic copper such as cupramine?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, will fish be more tolerant, do you think, of this copper solution than commercially-available ionic copper such as cupramine?

The answer to this question remains to be seen. In every experiment I always hope for the best, but am prepared for the worst, so that I am never disappointed. ;)

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No.... This recipe produces a ionic copper species, so the tolerance is expected to be similar to other ionic copper products.

Best,
Christoph

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool, thanks for sharing!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back