*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like where I’m at and I’m supposed to be at 2.5 so I guess I’m good? Unless of course 2.5 is the absolute max for copper power....

Copper power is therapeutic at 1.5ppm, they say 2.5 only has to be used if necessary (Vague). I would not exceed 2.5 for sure. 2.0 is more than safe.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my fish seem fine (of course chromis, clowns and damsels don’t flinch) I have a couple fish breathing a little heavy and behaving a little strange, but those are also consistent with velvet which is why there’s copper in the tank in the first place...lotta guesswork

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper power is therapeutic at 1.5ppm, they say 2.5 only has to be used if necessary (Vague). I would not exceed 2.5 for sure. 2.0 is more than safe.

^^This; below is an email exchange between myself and the mfg of Copper Power on this subject:

ME:
Hi Alice - I have one further question, if you don’t mind.

Is it absolutely necessary to treat with Copper Power at 2.5 ppm? That seems a bit on the high side. In my previous experiences with using chelated copper, 1.5 - 2.0 ppm has always been the accepted therapeutic range.

If 2.5 ppm is necessary, can you please explain why? Why does Copper Power require this higher therapeutic level?

Best regards,
Robert Miller
Humblefish Aquatics LLC

COPPER POWER:
Hello Robert,

1.5 ppm is an acceptable level. We only advise using Copper Power at 2.5 ppm if necessary. It will still be safe at that level. Monitor levels at least every three (3) days for 2 weeks during an outbreak. Most parasites have a 12-14 day life cycle.

Regards,
Alice Johnson
Endich Incorporated

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This; below is an email exchange between myself and the mfg of Copper Power on this subject:

ME:

COPPER POWER:

Thanks for providing that!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ME:

COPPER POWER:
Don’t use 2.5 unless you have to, but 5PPM is just fine. Sigh...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up on this thread. It's pretty cool about the hanna checker and I'll certainly be getting one for me as well. I use Coppersafe at the shop in a 900 gallon system so I think I'll take the checker there and test it out on the big boy. I also have a 10 gallon QT with fairy wrasses in it that I'm using coppersafe on. Looks like I'll be joining the band wagon. lol

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered mine Tuesday, as well as the recommended accessories. Got an email to call them this morning because an item was on backorder. The entire order is on backorder 3-4 weeks... I have a difficult time with ALL of the color charts but especially this API copper card.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color looks the same to me outside vs in. I do have difficulties distinguishing certain shades of yellow, orange, and green. To me, this looks like somewhere between 1-2ppm. Thoughts?

Brightly lit bathroom
IMG_20180323_092051989.jpg

Front porch
IMG_20180323_091940979.jpg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered mine Tuesday, as well as the recommended accessories. Got an email to call them this morning because an item was on backorder. The entire order is on backorder 3-4 weeks... I have a difficult time with ALL of the color charts but especially this API copper card.

Bummer, so your entire order has not shipped... It is not just the reagents that are on backorder now?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color looks the same to me outside vs in. I do have difficulties distinguishing certain shades of yellow, orange, and green. To me, this looks like somewhere between 1-2ppm. Thoughts?

Brightly lit bathroom
IMG_20180323_092051989.jpg

Front porch
IMG_20180323_091940979.jpg

I personally would put that between 1-1.5. As always hard to do from a picture.

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chatted with someone at Hanna today and was told the same thing. I've had several wrasses, regal angel, blotchy anthias, and a blenny in QT for 6 weeks. Put them through three rounds of prazzi but have been hesitant to treat with coppersafe due to the difficulty in reading the test kits.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chatted with someone at Hanna today and was told the same thing. I've had several wrasses, regal angel, blotchy anthias, and a blenny in QT for 6 weeks. Put them through three rounds of prazzi but have been hesitant to treat with coppersafe due to the difficulty in reading the test kits.

After talking to the rep I found one on eBay....Sold by Hanna. I pm'd them and they said it'd be shipped out today. Might be worth seeing what they still have on there

Guess their eBay store is separate from online

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back