*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, does copper make silicone look like this? I just bought this tank a couple weeks ago after finishing ttm/hypo. Was filled a few days(with rock and sand), broken down to clean, then set up again for copper. Seams did NOT look like this until this morning. I hope so, because I really don't need anything else to worry about right now

IMG_3464.JPG

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should note I bought it brand new from petco no more than 2 weeks ago. I did spray with bleach and let it sit 10-15 minutes before rinsing, but I've done that with every tank and every piece of equipment I've ever owned.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI contribution and question:
Many experts here at Reef2Reef may already know this, but I did not, so I'm guessing others reading this tread may also not know that keeping lights on when using CopperPower is okay. I forgot to turn off my timer for the LED lights on my 180 gal when I added the CopperPower. I have always been told that keeping lights on when using any copper product was or could be dangerous. The lights clicked on when I was at work the next day and remained on all day. Worried, I quickly unplugged the lights on the tank and contacted Endich Incorporated right away. I sent the following email message:

When treating with Copper Power Blue, should the aquarium lights be turned off as recommended with other copper treatments? If so, consequences if they are not turned off, please.

Thank you,

Alice from Endich Inc., contacted me back. Below is a copy and paste of her response:

Hello,

Lights can remain on with no consequences. Be sure to use a chelating copper test kit to monitor your tank.

Thank you,
Alice Johnson
Endich Incorporated

I know about the idea that keeping lights out and just using ambient light is less stressful on fish while copper treatments are ongoing, but my fish seem more stressed with their tank lights out. Is there any other reason members here can think of that I should keep lights out? I'd like to put them back on, not only to let the fish have the normality of the timed lights they are used to, but also so I can observe their progress better. Thoughts? Recommendations?

When treating for velvet, the beast is partially photosynthetic, so some of us have been experimenting with leaving lights off when you have an active velvet problem and or are treating prophylactically in the QT at least until the copper concentration is up to the therapeutic level and is killing the dinospores that are actively searching for a host.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note, does copper make silicone look like this? I just bought this tank a couple weeks ago after finishing ttm/hypo. Was filled a few days(with rock and sand), broken down to clean, then set up again for copper. Seams did NOT look like this until this morning. I hope so, because I really don't need anything else to worry about right now

IMG_3464.JPG
copper and silicone have no marignal impact on one another, except that copper can be absorbed slightly by silicone, many think.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm looking at an impending tank failure? Nice.
Its difficult to tell, I’m not an expert with that.i recommend starting another thread and tagging reefsquad. Sorry!

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about the guarantee. This Petco is pretty awesome. I'm more concerned with the fish in there. According to Humblefish's velvet write up I can transfer them at day 10-14 to a clean tank, which is cycling as we speak. I just need this thing to last a week and then I'll return it.

@4FordFamily which forum would be the appropriate? Tank emergency?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not worried about the guarantee. This Petco is pretty awesome. I'm more concerned with the fish in there. According to Humblefish's velvet write up I can transfer them at day 10-14 to a clean tank, which is cycling as we speak. I just need this thing to last a week and then I'll return it.

Yes I would say so :)

Transferring leaves zero margin for error, I don’t even do that myself and I am very experienced. Just my .02

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I @reefsquad it comes up reefsquad3, is that right?
Use #

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When treating for velvet, the beast is partially photosynthetic, so some of us have been experimenting with leaving lights off

Hum.. so there is some logic to leaving the lights off. I will be interested in what you and the others conclude at the end of your experiments. :) Thanks for the info!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I will! Just as soon as I can figure out how to "follow" the thread. I''m still figuring out how to navigate this online forum. For example, I have a "sticky" by one of my watched threads. I don't know how I got the threads into my watched folder, nor do I know how I got the sticky on the one thread...or even what the sticky means. Blush.

Last edited:

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This; below is an email exchange between myself and the mfg of Copper Power on this subject:

ME:

COPPER POWER:

OK, that is confusing. If Copper Power at 2.5 is the therapeutic level, then how can 1.5 be "fine"? Fine for what? I'm wondering what the heck does 2.5 "if necessary" mean?

What level of Copper Power do you suggest for prophylactic treatment in QT Humblefish? What level would you use at this point?

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2.5 is only needed on special occasions. 2.0 is what you should shoot for.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that is confusing. If Copper Power at 2.5 is the therapeutic level, then how can 1.5 be "fine"? Fine for what? I'm wondering what the heck does 2.5 "if necessary" mean?

What level of Copper Power do you suggest for prophylactic treatment in QT Humblefish? What level would you use at this point?

Check out this thread. Detailed dosing instructions and testing methods etc.

Also explained that 1.5ppm is therapeutic.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/chelated-copper-is-chelated-copper.373513/

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Special occasions”???

My assumption of that is you have an outbreak that is extremely severe, the medication can be used up to that level and still be "safe" for the fish. If you look at the thread link above it might make a little more sense.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back