*COPPERSAFE WARNING* along with Research on Hanna Instruments High Range Copper Checker

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After talking to the rep I found one on eBay....Sold by Hanna. I pm'd them and they said it'd be shipped out today. Might be worth seeing what they still have on there

Guess their eBay store is separate from online

That is very interesting, because when everyone was asking if you could buy from a 3rd party, Ebay was the only place I could find them outside of a direct order. I also noticed the seller was Hanna Instruments, and just assumed stocking would be the same.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is very interesting, because when everyone was asking if you could buy from a 3rd party, Ebay was the only place I could find them outside of a direct order. I also noticed the seller was Hanna Instruments, and just assumed stocking would be the same.

I went ahead and did the "buy it now" and instantly pm'd them. I explained to them that I had a tester and accessories on back order. Said I planned to keep the online order but needed to verify the tester was in stock on eBay(no sense having two kits on backorder)... Within the hour they said yes, and that it would be shipped today.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20180323-123105.png
Screenshot_20180323-123128.png

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and did the "buy it now" and instantly pm'd them. I explained to them that I had a tester and accessories on back order. Said I planned to keep the online order but needed to verify the tester was in stock on eBay(no sense having two kits on backorder)... Within the hour they said yes, and that it would be shipped today.
I also assumed it would be from the same stock also. You must have gotten the last one because its now showing out of stock on eBay also. :)

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrr mine was delayed in shipping due to bad weather and is rescheduled to get here Monday

Dang Nor'easter, same thing happened when mine shipped there was a storm out that way when I ordered too.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI contribution and question:
Many experts here at Reef2Reef may already know this, but I did not, so I'm guessing others reading this tread may also not know that keeping lights on when using CopperPower is okay. I forgot to turn off my timer for the LED lights on my 180 gal when I added the CopperPower. I have always been told that keeping lights on when using any copper product was or could be dangerous. The lights clicked on when I was at work the next day and remained on all day. Worried, I quickly unplugged the lights on the tank and contacted Endich Incorporated right away. I sent the following email message:

When treating with Copper Power Blue, should the aquarium lights be turned off as recommended with other copper treatments? If so, consequences if they are not turned off, please.

Thank you,

Alice from Endich Inc., contacted me back. Below is a copy and paste of her response:

Hello,

Lights can remain on with no consequences. Be sure to use a chelating copper test kit to monitor your tank.

Thank you,
Alice Johnson
Endich Incorporated

I know about the idea that keeping lights out and just using ambient light is less stressful on fish while copper treatments are ongoing, but my fish seem more stressed with their tank lights out. Is there any other reason members here can think of that I should keep lights out? I'd like to put them back on, not only to let the fish have the normality of the timed lights they are used to, but also so I can observe their progress better. Thoughts? Recommendations?

Last edited:

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly didn't know that but I am using coppersafe.
Is this just aquarium lights? I have one of those tall lamps a few feet from my qts. It has a 3-way bulb that I use to "ramp up" lighting so I can at least see what's going on and to feed

dealseer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no way our lights have enough UV to significantly break down the chelation! We’d all have cataracts if they did.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no way our lights have enough UV to significantly break down the chelation! We’d all have cataracts if they did.
This is exactly it. No problem with lights and copper.

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is exactly it. No problem with lights and copper.

Awesome! Thank you deelseer and 4FordFamily. It was early on in my entry into the hobby that someone cautioned me not to run my lights when running copper. Glad to know that I can put them back on! Thank you for your quick responses! My fish appreciate it..as do I. ;Happy

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thank you deelseer and 4FordFamily. It was early on in my entry into the hobby that someone cautioned me not to run my lights when running copper. Glad to know that I can put them back on! Thank you for your quick responses! My fish appreciate it..as do I. ;Happy
No problem! UV sterilizers are the light you don’t run with copper, that probably confused them :)

Sashaka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly didn't know that but I am using coppersafe.
Is this just aquarium lights? I have one of those tall lamps a few feet from my qts. It has a 3-way bulb that I use to "ramp up" lighting so I can at least see what's going on and to feed

It seems I was misinformed about the need to keep light off during copper treatments (something I have been doing for several years in my sick tanks with new fish), which is why I contributed to this thread. I wanted others who may also have been misinformed to be made aware that tank lights can be left on during treatments.

I know that viewpoints about what to do or not to do in this hobby are as prolific as the stars (yes a bit of a hyperbole..but you get my meaning). Anecdotal discoveries and information, while interesting and often the motivator for further investigation, can be misleading. At this point in my journey in the saltwater hobby, I'm more interested in the science of right and wrong procedures...and that's the support I feel I receive here at Reef2Reef. I'm very grateful to all the contributors who go to such great lengths to test theories about this hobby. This thread is a great example! ;Woot

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tester came in yesterday.
Cant wait to test when I get home from work today!
I have an older bottle due to expire next year so hopefully I will be ok.

As an FYI to others ordering. The reagents are on back order. Simply call Hanna and place the order over the phone.

They can ship your order in 2 shipments, the tester now (with enough for 6 tests) and reagents when they come in.

DanielJameS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting does yours show shipped? Because it’s still showing “last one” I wonder if that’s a selling tactic by design?
01a8bd27d7aa0c84432482dc33685b31.jpg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely ok to run tank lights when using copper. As mentioned above. UV sterilization, can cause a change in copper makeup, increasing potency causing poisoning of fish.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As an FYI to others ordering. The reagents are on back order. Simply call Hanna and place the order over the phone.

They can ship your order in 2 shipments, the tester now (with enough for 6 tests) and reagents when they come in.

Look forward to hearing your results!

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s exciting!

... At this point in my journey in the saltwater hobby, I'm more interested in the science of right and wrong procedures...and that's the support I feel I receive here at Reef2Reef. I'm very grateful to all the contributors who go to such great lengths to test theories about this hobby. This thread is a great example! ;Woot

We certainly try here, believe me there is a lot of information out there and much of it is hard to substantiate. My favorite is things like ginger and garlic helping with a parasite. But we all try to help as much as possible, glad you like it here!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 80 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back